Come Share Your View on "Car-Lite City"

Imac

dunearn road (opp) sixth avenue - farrer road - Queensway - home.

time to find parking is pertinent.  but my example started with destination of mrt stations and not the specific shopping centres.  even if we use specific shopping centres, it is not foregone (although higher chance) that parking option will definitely take longer as it very much depends on the shopping centres and their available parking spaces we are talking about.

I only use 630pm to illustrate the sixth avenue discussion and not the rest. I see you have decided to home in on arguing the time spent for each option but remember, I started out with my comment that connectivity is not optimal and only used the time between stations to illustrate connectivity as less than optimal. admittedly I did say it is not very persuasive to give up the car but I do not mean that I will never give up the car on all trips to suntec.   I did used mrt on the odd 630pm trip to suntec or mbs but I stil drive to suntec for most weekend trips when I know I have no problem finding  parking.  there is a rational thought process in every one of us that drives us which option to use each time.

so there is no need to zoom in on suntec 630pm example nor mind me saying mrt is not persuasive to me to give up the  car for all trips to suntec.  if you disagree with me that connectivity is not optimal, I have no qualms accepting it.  but if you want to prove that I shouldn't have driven to suntec on 630pm weekdays, then there is no need as I really don't drive to suntec at such an hour.

Sorry, which route?  Time to find parking is pertinent since it's part of the time cost that everyone is talking about.

If you are driving to Suntec City starting from Queenstown MRT Station on a working day at 6.30 pm, you will encounter a couple of choke points depending on your route.  Finding parking at Suntec will probably consume another 10 minutes.  So the total saving over SMRT may not be as much as you think.

time to find parking is pertinent.  but my example started with destination of mrt stations and not the specific shopping centres.  even if we use specific shopping centres, it is not foregone (although higher chance) that parking option will definitely take longer as it very much depends on the shopping centres and their available parking spaces we are talking about.

I only use 630pm to illustrate the sixth avenue discussion and not the rest. I see you have decided to home in on arguing the time spent for each option but remember, I started out with my comment that connectivity is not optimal and only used the time between stations to illustrate connectivity as less than optimal. admittedly I did say it is not very persuasive to give up the car but I do not mean that I will never give up the car on all trips to suntec.   I did used mrt on the odd 630pm trip to suntec or mbs but I stil drive to suntec for most weekend trips when I know I have no problem finding  parking.  there is a rational thought process in every one of us that drives us which option to use each time.

so there is no need to zoom in on suntec 630pm example nor mind me saying mrt is not persuasive to me to give up the  car for all trips to suntec.  if you disagree with me that connectivity is not optimal, I have no qualms accepting it.  but if you want to prove that I shouldn't have driven to suntec on 630pm weekdays, then there is no need as I really don't drive to suntec at such an hour.

Hmm.. I am not trying to home in on your arguments.....

Just trying to provide a balanced view.... as yourself as stated, in some cases, driving make sense, in other, public transportation may be better.  There's no way that public transportation can be optimum for everyone, ie every piece of surface in Singapore is within 100 metres of a station.  And there's no way to accommodate everyone needs without negatively impacting someone else.

Just optimize the trade-offs in your favour.

• Praise 2

I support car-lite city, but can they please set up more low-fee car parks for park-and-ride near the MRT stations?

My house is too far to walk to the nearest station.

• Praise 2

I agree also.  but I hope I didn't give the wrong impression I am expecting the MRT to optimise travel time, travel experience etc for ALL commuters. I am more like trying to bring such euphoria down to solid ground.

I joined in the chat mainly because this thread seeks to talk about the same comments (from PM Lee) that aroused my thoughts the other day when I read it.  I agree it is good for our country to move towards being "Car-Lite" but there's still lots of planning and work to be done.

There's no way that public transportation can be optimum for everyone, ie every piece of surface in Singapore is within 100 metres of a station.  And there's no way to accommodate everyone needs without negatively impacting someone else.

Just optimize the trade-offs in your favour.

Till recent, the term "Car-Lite City" have been used more than once by our ministers and PM.

Come share your views and opinions what will be government action/plans to achieve this "Car-Lite City" vision.

1. Reduce COE Quota  (OCS)

2. Increase Tax (Road Tax, PARF, ARF)

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

I think only "OCS" is the most significant for car-lite city,  [thumbsup]

others all are bullshiit lah, rich men can buy car they never mind usage cost,

yes, that is a good suggestion.  I also think if there are ample parking at the stations, it will be very persuasive to people to take the mrt and park the car beside the mrt station.

I support car-lite city, but can they please set up more low-fee car parks for park-and-ride near the MRT stations?

My house is too far to walk to the nearest station.

suntec - it is not directly to suntec .....it still is an exit to city hall and a long walk.  otherwise if exit to raffles place, still need to change platform and  wait for train to marina south and then change and wait again for train towards promenade.  each getting off and waiting will add quite some minutes .

sixth avenue - I think I made a mistake of forgetting there is an interchange at botanic gardens.  so it is not as bad as I thought. I take my words back on that.

despite that, the cut in travel time is more than 25%.  25% only equates to about 4-7min for most of the travel times you have stated.  example I drive past sixth avenue daily and it takes me 7 minutes only.  that is about 70% less.

For Suntec, get off at City Hall.  Take a short walk through Raffles City B1 that links to Esplanade MRT.  Voila you are in Suntec under 10 mins.

Travel times by car reduces from queenstown MRT to Sixth avenue as Holland Road has very little traffic light.

For fair comparison, it is should be time based on door to door travel time.

I interpret that PM wants us all to buy lightweight sports cars....... [:p]  [drivingcar]  [drivingcar]

MX-5 for everyone then?

Anyway, the SE at Mazda kns, keep saying the price will go up, from launch til now, price drop. Haha...

I would like to see a new S2K though.. Or MR-S...

Most times, if it's MRT station to MRT station, trains are not too bad (excluding the breakdowns). It's the connection / waiting times that make me dulan.

Your specific example might favour driving over public transport (and, driving is easier, wanna go, just leave and go, no need to plan). It's just that, not all cases is driving better / faster than public transport. Though it is more comfortable.

it won't make much difference door to door unless you are also talking abt the door of the specific shopping centre than the specific mrt station.  the sixth avenue example is not one-off one. 

For fair comparison, it is should be time based on door to door travel time.

• Praise 1

I think only "OCS" is the most significant for car-lite city,  [thumbsup]

others all are bullshiit lah, rich men can buy car they never mind usage cost,

I totally agree with you, OCS is root of car-lite,

COE quota should be decreased by 0.5% to 1% yearly, meantime COE price will increase accordingly, Government use the revenue from COE to improve MRT and bus service quality, this is one stone 2 birds.  [thumbsup]   

• Praise 1

agree.  that's why I couldn't agree with a counter argument that didn't factor in the waiting and walking times required when changing trains at different platforms.

there are quite a few times when we can only get into the 3rd mrt train carriage that arrives.  that would have added 5-6 minutes of waiting time.  and we haven't even factor in the walking time

Most times, if it's MRT station to MRT station, trains are not too bad (excluding the breakdowns). It's the connection / waiting times that make me dulan.

Your specific example might favour driving over public transport (and, driving is easier, wanna go, just leave and go, no need to plan). It's just that, not all cases is driving better / faster than public transport. Though it is more comfortable.

singaporeans very ho mia

people in other countries work around limitations and get on with their lives

singaporeans want limitations to be removed by govt to get on with their lives

:D  

• Praise 1

MX-5 for everyone then?

Anyway, the SE at Mazda kns, keep saying the price will go up, from launch til now, price drop. Haha...

I would like to see a new S2K though.. Or MR-S...

Cannot. MX5, S2000 & MR-S all 2 seater cannot ferry kids. Skali ppl blame gahmen fault for low birthrate how? 

• Praise 1

agree.  that's why I couldn't agree with a counter argument that didn't factor in the waiting and walking times required when changing trains at different platforms.

there are quite a few times when we can only get into the 3rd mrt train carriage that arrives.  that would have added 5-6 minutes of waiting time.  and we haven't even factor in the walking time

Well, both of you have valid points. I would certainly prefer driving over public transport. Even for short distances.

But sometimes, the travelling time makes no sense, or there is a huge event and I know parking will be crazy anyway. In those cases, usually I'll just avoid the event.

Oh, and, not to boast, but I haven't waited to get onboard the next train for at least 2 years now. Then again, I don't travel during the peak timing, so, always was able to squeeze up the train.

it won't make much difference door to door unless you are also talking abt the door of the specific shopping centre than the specific mrt station.  the sixth avenue example is not one-off one. 

I believe travel from Queenstown MRT to Sixth Avenue is faster by car as there are less traffic light.

For me to travel from Upper Boon Keng road to Asia Sq, it takes 30mins by MRT or Bicycle.

By car, it takes 25 mins.  Total route is no more than 7KM.

• Praise 1

Cannot. MX5, S2000 & MR-S all 2 seater cannot ferry kids. Skali ppl blame gahmen fault for low birthrate how? 

Birthrate already low liao...

In fact, MX-5, S2K and MR-S are better for raising birthrates than say a Camry / 3-er / C....

Why? Coz if we go club, and drive the latter range, people might think 1. Papa chia, 2. Not cool.

If drive the former range, girls will like more. So = more chance to get the girls.

Next: get the girl already, don't need to ferry other people home so can have private time with the girl.

Even if don't boost the birthrate, at least, will have more practice sessions (in order to be better at boosting the birthrates ya)... So, my argument is 2 seater sports cars are better for Singapore's future. LTA FASTER GIVE DISCOUNT ON COE FOR 2 SEATER!!

• Praise 3

singaporeans very ho mia

people in other countries work around limitations and get on with their lives

singaporeans want limitations to be removed by govt to get on with their lives

:D  

U r saying i am very pie mia har.

Previously, my office in Centennial Tower.  Most convenient way to work for me is kar chia.  By MRT, still need to walk a long way.

Now, my office in Asia SQ.  Most convenient way to work is still kar chia.  By MRT, either walk from Raffles Place or change train at Bugis.

↡ Advertisement