More CPF savings with new rules

Ben5266

aiya left pocket, right pocket, centre pocket ...

a wise man said ... there is no free lunch ... the lunch might be free but someone has to pay for it ... lol

Of course, where do you think govt come up with money to cover new Medishield Life ?

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

cpf running low on funds.

constantly need more and more from you.

lucky I'm 55, nothing more to contribute.

Wah man. Always thought u in thirties or 40s. U are extremely tech savvy for someone in the 50s.
  • Praise 9

Turbocharged

Technically speaking , the ceiling is not raised from 5k to 6k , its actually being restored back to 6k.

The ceiling was 6k in the 90s , and employee / employer contribution back then was 20 / 20 . A person earning 6k per month back then has a total of $2400 contributed to his CPF every month .

Then came the SARS crisis in 2003 ,  and the gov didn't want to burden the Employers , ceiling was reduced to 4.5k and employer contribution slashed to 15% . Employee contri remained at 20% .  Employee got more take home pay , but total CPF contribution fell from $2400 ( 40% of 6k )  to $1,575  ( 35% of 4.5k ) . Also , more take home pay also results in higher taxable income . It was painful .

I may be the few whom are glad that the contribution ceiling has now been fully restored back ,  albeit that it has taken 12 long years .  And I hope someday the Employer contribution can be back up to 20% .

• Praise 20

Wah man. Always thought u in thirties or 40s. U are extremely tech savvy for someone in the 50s.

It's strange that people think your age is equal to being  not "up-to-current" in the tech age.

Would you be surprised if I said I obtained a Cisco network cert when I'm 50 yrs old ?

It's not a boast, but learning should always be a continual process.

You're never too old to learn. [;)]

• Praise 13

Whether if there is a raise or restoration of CPF contribution ceiling, it has no impact on me as a retiree.

All I hope to see is the increase in interests payable….

Currently, 6% for first $30k in SA/MA, 5% for the next $30K in SA/MA, 4% for the rest of SA/MA and 2.5 for OA.

hmmm not too bad, but I am asking for more…hahhaaa

• Praise 2

Once I reach 55 years old, should I withdraw the money (less the minimum sum) from CPF account, or to keep it in there to attract higher interest?  If I decide to keep it in there, can I still collect it later, say at 60 years old, or collect less (because the minimum sum keep increasing every year?)

If you do not need the money, why not just leave it in the OA and withdraw only when you need. Correct me, once you cross the 55 years old age, subsequent changes in CPF rulings will not affect you. 

• Praise 2

It's strange that people think your age is equal to being not "up-to-current" in the tech age.

Would you be surprised if I said I obtained a Cisco network cert when I'm 50 yrs old ?

It's not a boast, but learning should always be a continual process.

You're never too old to learn. [;)]

Yup. But guess people your generation didn't grow up with technology and Internet at your finger tips.

Yup. But guess people your generation didn't grow up with technology and Internet at your finger tips.

LHL is 62 but has a diploma in computer science.

don't bad mouth him.

he knows. [lipsrsealed]

If you do not need the money, why not just leave it in the OA and withdraw only when you need. Correct me, once you cross the 55 years old age, subsequent changes in CPF rulings will not affect you.

after 55 can anyhow withdraw like $10k $20k $30k? any year?

isn't at 55 has to make a decision to withdraw one lump sum?

Edited by Wt_know

The problem with the infamous CPF MS with regard "later returning monthly after 65>" are :   [thumbsdown]

• I suffers weaker legs and poorer eye-sight to see the world
  • My teeth already all drop off to chew food except sucking and licking Bro @Vid avatar banana
  • Willing to pays higher but no mei's mei's want me anymore, they worry I might get cardial arrest before or after piaking
  • The balance will all go to NOK after being lifted up to Bro @RadX hearse convoy road trip
  • Everyday admire my MS in bank account book to "Ownself satisfy Ownself"

Next life must not :a-no:  born in Singapura, don't mind :a-happy:  Mars planet   [:(]

• Praise 5

There are many local FT's aka fallen talent singaporeans "ah pek & ah sim" :a-m1212: in MCF, no more KPKB in five pillars kopitiam and starts  [gossip]  grumbling [furious] in forum   :a-bang:

• Praise 3

Yup, when you're at a certain "productive age", say between 20s ~ 40s, you think you've learned all you need to stay employable.

And then at your 50s, a sudden surge in new technology develops. If you do not stay current, then you'll fall behind.

I know many people who just get turned off and gave up and stayed with what they have learned.

They don't advance forward.

A radio technician who repairs with discrete components may think he's the best during his time.

Then tech change to using chips. If he don't learn the new tricks, how to repair with new equipment and new methods, he lags behind.

Then tech change again to networking radios, now he has no networking knowledge and refuse to learn, he falls further behind.

Now the company he's worked for, for many years finds it hard to retain him, bcuz the business has changed.

Old products are gone, it's no longer there, but replaced by new technology that that radio repairman can't handle.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Those making more than 6k will take home 200 dollars less but get 170 dollars more for their gross salary.

Summary:

Take home: -200 SGD

Gross Salary: + 170 SGD (Employer: -170SGD)

CPF: +370 SGD

Plus taxable income reduced by $2,400 due to lesser take home pay . Assuming he is paying 10% taxable income , he saves $240 in taxes .

↡ Advertisement