Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
136 replies to this topic | 260 praises

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

Winning
  • Winning
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi all ,
How do you know that battery going to be flat ?
When the car starts , it prompt you "switch to economy mode " . Can this be 1 of the symptoms that battery is weak too ?

Cranking sound . Usually it took me 1 crank to start the engine . But yesterday the cranking sound is long before engine start , can this also telling you that battery going to be flat soon ?
Pls advise

Weez911, Angcheek and 2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Also age of the battery
Weez911, Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

CYHew
  • CYHew
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Hi all ,
When the car starts , it prompt you "switch to economy mode " . Can this be 1 of the symptoms that battery is weak too ?

Cranking sound . Usually it took me 1 crank to start the engine . But yesterday the cranking sound is long before engine start , can this also telling you that battery going to be flat soon ?
Pls advise

Possible. The other sign is that car is not responsive to keyless remote control. Thought problem with my remote control until the car battery went totally flat in about a week.
Weez911, Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:39 PM

Winning
  • Winning
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I just went to start up the car , and drove for 1 hr , it doesn't have that sytpomts tat I saw last night , will cold weather affecting / trigger the problem?

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

Optramagnum
  • Premium member
    Optramagnum
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hi all ,

Pls advise

Hi Bro, long cranking might not be a good indicator for low batt as there are other components involved, eg. Starter motor, fuel injector, spark plugs, etc. Indicator of low battery will be age of battery, clock or radio station preset missing, sluggish power window and dim headlights/dashboard when engine running . Of cse, Nothing beats a proper diagnosis at workshop.
Blueray, hsl118, Weez911, Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

Winning
  • Winning
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I just went for 1 hr drive , it seems fine ,no more long cranking issues . Plus recently I just install the 24hrs cam ... I wonder does this also will affect the battery life ... Last servicing already prompt me battery on average according to the test report in oct 2015 . Battery changed in oct 2014 but I still need advise . Kia su cum Kia so type .

Eventually owning a car isn't cheap when comes to unexpected problems arises ....

So any reliable workshop for recommendation ? Car make : Peugeot

I always bring down to agent to service , I think they will carrot me if I bring down there ..

Edited by Winning, 03 January 2016 - 03:38 PM.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:51 PM

Meanmachine
  • Premium member
    Meanmachine
    6th Gear
    Author Image

To be honest, no driver will know when the battery will die off.

If one is experienced, no cranking does not means battery is weak or dead, I had a learning experiences of late.

Started well in mooring appointment, after 2 hours later, it fails to crank despite repeated attempts ( check monitor lighted up, radio has noise and car horn yelling out loud, jumper line indicated battery level working fine but still failed to crank.

Found out later fm experienced mechanic when I call for their assistance to tow back to w/s for diagnosis, No wait, I call for emergency tow truck for a new battery change, told him on my predicament and he can " agar agar " figure out what can happen.

Tow truck driver came, inspected the old battery and asked me to shift gear from ' Park position to neutral to manual shift then to park again, he used a small tool to knock on the engine , I cranked my key, it started connecting point plug and my car came to roar.

End result: Engine starter wiring becomes loose, either one use a black tape to tighten back and ensure no repeated happening. Today battery shelf life is approx 1.5 to 2 years estimate.

hsl118, Weez911, Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Disclaimer: Some content may not be accepted by all as we are not trained counseller / adviser, we seek your tolerant. My advice is based on experiences / exposure/s committed to give an honest & direct answer, no profanity & accusation to be taken of any kind, in an event that it misfired, it should be taken as a pinch of salt. Thank you !

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

Heartbreakid
  • Heartbreakid
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Battery life on the average is around 2 to 2.5 years. Tell tale signs are:

1) Unlocking the car - Central locking might only work on some doors, e.g. front only. Signal lights that indicate lock or unlock fails to flash.

2) Weak cranking sound - The sound is not strong, just sounds lethargic.

These are the encounters I have come across. The weak cranking is the first tell tale sign that the battery is on the verge of wearing out (please also factor in the age of the battery when this happens). By the time, the signal indicators fail to flash or lightings are weak, or the central locking work only partially, the battery needs to be replaced already.

Blueray, hsl118, Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:10 PM

t0y0ta
  • t0y0ta
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I just went for 1 hr drive , it seems fine ,no more long cranking issues . Plus recently I just install the 24hrs cam ... I wonder does this also will affect the battery life ... Last servicing already prompt me battery on average according to the test report in oct 2015 . Battery changed in oct 2014 but I still need advise . Kia su cum Kia so type .

Eventually owning a car isn't cheap when comes to unexpected problems arises ....

I always bring down to agent to service , I think they will carrot me if I bring down there ..

Peugeot car I don't think you have much choice besides the agent.

Honestly if you had wanted to have a lot of flexibility in servicing options - the french makes should be lowest in consideration.

So just sit back and enjoy the AD servicing....

Angcheek praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

Fcw75
  • Fcw75
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

The 24hrs cam definitely play a part.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

Winning
  • Winning
    1st Gear
    Author Image

AD will be sharpening the knife , and smiling to slaughter this sheep .... Looking to change car also , but the price still quite unreasonable high ....

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

Optramagnum
  • Premium member
    Optramagnum
    5th Gear
    Author Image

When it comes to battery check, any Tom, Dick and Harry workshop will do the job, brand of car is immaterial. If really kia si, go to more famous brands like Autobacs or Stamford tires loh. Still better than kena carrot by AD.
Weez911 praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

Tenghock
  • Premium member
    Tenghock
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Would like to share my older post:
"Dry" batteries are mostly valve regulated lead acid batteries (VRLA battery). If a car is parked mostly at open car park, daily mileage is long, eg >80km daily, coupled with higher alternator voltage, >14.2V, VRLA will not last long . Because it would dry up prematurely due to overcharging. In this case , flooded lead acid battery is better as you could top up with battery water or deionized water (DI water). But even flooded lead acid battery is used, under the same condition, the battery will last only 2 years. For VRLA 1 year 6 months or less.
If all these conditions are not present at all, it is not uncommon to see a flooded battery lasts for 4 years. Take note after 2 years, frequent top up is needed.
There are simple steps to verify roughly the battery would last for another 3 months if you have a simple voltmeter:
1. Engine off, it should be 12.4 to 12.8V. If less than 12.2V, replace battery sooner. If it's only 10V, most likely battery will refuse to start engine as 1 cell is dead (there are 6 cells in a battery).
2. Start engine, just idling, no air con and lighting etc, it should be 13.6 to 14.4V..... Your alternator is charging normally.
3. Engine off, turn on normal beam head light, let the battery discharge for 3 mins while measuring.
A new battery would likely discharge to 12.1V and start to rebound to 12.2V and hold there for very long. A weak battery would discharge to 11.8V and never rebound but hold for a while then continue to drop. Change it sooner. An in between battery would rebound at 12.0V and hold there for quite long. The key word is rebound.
4. Off head light, put back the positive cap and keep your voltmeter.
Datsun366, Chucky2007, Weez911, Doppel, kmttan, Ahgong, Angcheek and 1 other member praised this

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

dcb
  • Premium member
    dcb
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

For me, its when the radio pauses for a moment when the ride is cranking. That will tell me the battery is gonna KO soon.

Datsun366 and Angcheek praised this
Hyundai Accent 2003, Honda GD1 Jazz 2004, Honda GE6 FIT 2008, Volkswagen Polo 6R 2012, Mazda 2 DJ Deluxe 2015............

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Furrynadz
  • Premium member
    Furrynadz
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

http://www.sgcarmart...t.php?MID=11240

best to change batt yearly

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Kklee
  • Kklee
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Start car. 

On A/C. .

On headlights.

On HU.

On cabin lights.

On Left or right indicator light.

If the cabin light synchronise with the left/right indicator lights, battery is quite likely to be weak.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

Kippei
  • Premium member
    Kippei
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

By right mf batteries can last 4 5 years provided with the right maintenance regime. Desuphation is needed once a while to knock off the lead sulphate and you need to *boil* your car battery water to mix the acid once a while. Usually as battery sits too long, the acid and water tend to separate. Usually this 2 are the main factors of failing batteries. The rest is the build quality of the lead matrix.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:31 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Heat will make battery die earlier than it should be.  That's why BMW battery is stored in the boot.

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can try the free battery check at Autobacs. Not sure if they will try to hard-sell you anything after that though.

kmttan praised this

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Zmwang
  • Premium member
    Zmwang
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

A multimeter can help you with that. 

If you are particular about the battery, you can buy a battery charger with 2A setting to refresh the battery every 6 month. 

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

MaxPower 6000mAh PowerResQ

MaxPower 6000mAh PowerResQ  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by GongJiaoWei  |  4th Gear

Power bank with extra feature

Instead of just carrying a power bank to charge our mobile phones and ipads, this unique power bank is able to help me to jump start in car if needed. Have done comparison on some jump start kit in the marketplace. I think this is the onl... » Read More

Amaron PRO Battery

Amaron PRO Battery  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Kombahbao  |  Clutched

Reliable Battery

Changed to this in my previous Jazz. Cranking was good. Battery life was pretty decent as well. For its price it's worth it.

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Battery

Quick Reply

Tags: battery, going, flat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users