How to know battery going to be flat?

Winning

Turbocharged

My car original battery is a 60A Panasonic Pro, the label states it's designed for start-stop function.

Where to get this kind of battery? It's a wet batt and looks just like any standard battery except for the start-stop label.

If it's a start-stop battery you need to get one that's similar, since start-stop cycles are quite strenuous in a different way and require batteries designed for the purpose... Unless your car doesn't actually have start-stop.

↡ Advertisement

My car original battery is a 60A Panasonic Pro, the label states it's designed for start-stop function.

Where to get this kind of battery? It's a wet batt and looks just like any standard battery except for the start-stop label.

Seems like you need to look for a EFB battery. Not sure who is producing or selling it locally.

http://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/battery-technology/efb/

A multimeter can help you with that. 

If you are particular about the battery, you can buy a battery charger with 2A setting to refresh the battery every 6 month. 

Recently when my battery failed, the tow truck uncle used a USB portable charger to jump start my car. Do you know where can I get one?

With one USB portable charger in the car, there is no need to change the car battery prematurely. Whenever cannot start, just use the portable charger to jump start. Change battery only when occur too frequently. 

Also, last time, we may only start the car 2 times a day. Now with idling stop-start technology available in most cars, one day can stop-start 20 times. Battery sure die faster. 

• Praise 2

Recently when my battery failed, the tow truck uncle used a USB portable charger to jump start my car. Do you know where can I get one?

With one USB portable charger in the car, there is no need to change the car battery prematurely. Whenever cannot start, just use the portable charger to jump start. Change battery only when occur too frequently. 

Also, last time, we may only start the car 2 times a day. Now with idling stop-start technology available in most cars, one day can stop-start 20 times. Battery sure die faster. 

Can buy from groupon, ebay, china websites....etc.

The usual size is 10400mah, cost $60-100. All can do usb charging. Some have extras like 12-19V o/p for laptop charging.

You want the really good one, can get the Genius from amazon.com. About US$90-100.

I have a usual one bought from groupon....strange thing is the battery came totally dead, I emailed the seller totally no response. Disappointing! Managed to recover the batt after multiple deep cycle charging. On a single charge, I managed to restart my old car (45ah) abt 8 times on a single charge, and battery still have 1/2 power left. Not sure whether can support my new car with 60ah battery, but seems to state so as can support 400A surge.

• Praise 1

Go to the amazon thread, can read up there.

I got mine from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D42AFS8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00#

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B015TKUPIC/ref=sr_1_25?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1453785875&sr=1-25&keywords=car+jump+starter

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

I have been thinking of buying this one on Qoo10:

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/18000MAH-EMERGENCY-CAR-JUMP-STARTER/419903231

Less than $50.

Anybody here bought before and can review the jump start? Most of the reviews on Qoo10 only use to charge phone and laptop.

I have been thinking of buying this one on Qoo10:

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/18000MAH-EMERGENCY-CAR-JUMP-STARTER/419903231

Less than $50.

Anybody here bought before and can review the jump start? Most of the reviews on Qoo10 only use to charge phone and laptop.

You should actually buy one and put inside your car. it is really handy especial if your battery is dead. Dont have to call for "sum mong" help .

• Praise 1

Battery life is about 3 years in Singapore weather. It helps if you don't start with ac and don't start stop engine too many times within short drives.

No good to test battery after you have driven. Best test is the start of a new day fresh to see if battery can hold your charge. All other indications are just guide. It can goes just like that but usually there will be tell tail signs.

• Praise 1

Battery life is about 3 years in Singapore weather. It helps if you don't start with ac and don't start stop engine too many times within short drives.

This is what I am fearing most. My new car will stop the engine whenever it stops at traffic light, jam, zebra crossing, waiting for carpark gantry, etc.... One day can easily clock 20 start. Worst, I hardly go expressway. If a normal car start-stop 4 times a day and battery lasts 3 years, i think mine will fail after 6 months. 

This is what I am fearing most. My new car will stop the engine whenever it stops at traffic light, jam, zebra crossing, waiting for carpark gantry, etc.... One day can easily clock 20 start. Worst, I hardly go expressway. If a normal car start-stop 4 times a day and battery lasts 3 years, i think mine will fail after 6 months. 

I believe stop-start car need a semi-deep discharge battey.

Normal starting battery may not be able to handle the deep discharge.

Start-stop system works differently from conventional. 

Skimming the internet,  one type uses accurate piston position and starts via combustion whereas another uses secondary battery. 

AGM battery?

Must be AGM designed for stop-start applications, not merely standard AGM.

Battery construction is different.

No, as long as your engine is running, you are not relying on battery anymore. So your car engine will not suddenly stop due to no electricity. If that happen, good luck. Alternator need replacement. Haha

Start-stop system works differently from conventional.

Skimming the internet, one type uses accurate piston position and starts via combustion whereas another uses secondary battery.

No bros. They have better starter and bigger capacity battery. Of course some logic to reduce start / stop unnecessary. But in Singapore context, I would advise to disable it. This is only my opinion.

No bros. They have better starter and bigger capacity battery. Of course some logic to reduce start / stop unnecessary. But in Singapore context, I would advise to disable it. This is only my opinion.

Which brand?

In our local weather, i would think most batteries can only last about 2 years, 3 years will be abit of a stretch, unless your car battery is located near boot area, like those in the newer BMWs. Those portable jumper starter battery would be a good to have, but probably not a good idea to keep it in the car parked under the sun due to risk of overheat. Can do a battery health check up by asking the battery shop uncle to use a CCA meter. The last time i changed the battery, the CCA of the old battery is half of the CCA of a new battery (another brand), and less than 60% of its rated CCA. That battery had lasted me about 28 mths;)

Edited by Wattokkingu
↡ Advertisement