How to know battery going to be flat?

Winning

Another bad thing to do is during jump starting.

Most website will teach you this way.

1. Connect up the cables

2. Helper car start engine, even revving engine

3. Then start the car with the bad battery.

This is so wrong.

What happens when the car with bad battery is fired up ?

It's alternator output clashed with that of the helper car alternator.

They are definitely of different voltage and that spike occurs.

When you connect cables to good batteries, you may see spark. That's bcuz of the difference in voltage or potential difference.

Large current flows and melts metal. That's how they do arc welding.

You don't really want to do arc welding when you're connecting batteries. [laugh]

For the correct and safe way to jump start another car, just connect up the cables, but do not switch on the helper car engine. Don't even insert the key in, less the key sense, turn on some electrical circuits in the helper car.

What you're using is the helper car battery only.

If the jump start fails, the possibility is the helper car battery is weak OR most likely the (cheapo) jumper cable wire is simply too thin.

Earlier on, I had someone ask me to change battery. When I reached his location, I checked the battery was still good, but he couldn't start the car. Then he told me he had helped jump start a diesel van, with his engine running. After that van started up. He shut down his car engine and couldn't start anymore.

These are precisely the concerns, which is why I always decline to help others.

I had an experience with battery short circuit.  

How would I know if the other car battery failure also due to short circuit? 

If I did manage to start the other car,  later my electrical system kenna whacked by 16V and fried my ECU.

So, better safe than sorry. 

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

Wah wah wah, charger kingpin lai liao

the small CTEK always hook up to one of my batteries for the past 10 years, 365/24/7

highly recommended if you guys need a battery charger

the small CTEK always hook up to one of my batteries for the past 10 years, 365/24/7

Power!

Literally

Supercharged

back to the topic

my current car first battery lasted 4.5 years since new

I changed it after the Start/Stop system starting to get disabled by the car, indicating a weak main battery

will use that to guage the next battery change timing

I find this is the only useful function of the Stop/Start system... haha

Supersonic

These are precisely the concerns, which is why I always decline to help others.

I had an experience with battery short circuit.  

How would I know if the other car battery failure also due to short circuit? 

If I did manage to start the other car,  later my electrical system kenna whacked by 16V and fried my ECU.

So, better safe than sorry. 

A common fault with battery is that it can short circuit in one cell.

If you measure it, it's about 10.6V Battery contains 6 cells of 2.1V (fully-charged) in series

This kind of battery will not start a car engine.

In fact, it's likely to be very hot, maybe have rotten egg smell; bcuz the alternator voltage at 14V is now overcharging the 5 good cells, before the car engine was switched off.

If you were the one to help jump start, that battery is likely to explode due to the heat, and the high load at the same time. [:p]

Yeah, you got to protect yourself, if you don't know the possible consequences.

back to the topic

my current car first battery lasted 4.5 years since new

I changed it after the Start/Stop system starting to get disabled by the car, indicating a weak main battery

will use that to guage the next battery change timing

I find this is the only useful function of the Stop/Start system... haha

Since you're into tools, you might want to invest in a digital battery analyzer.

It checks and display CCA reading.

CCA reading is an easy way to determine if the battery is in good or bad condition.

(edited)

If you measure it, it's about 10.6V Battery contains 6 cells of 2.1V (fully-charged) in series

In fact, it's likely to be very hot, maybe have rotten egg smell; bcuz the alternator voltage at 14V is now overcharging the 5 good cells, before the car engine was switched off.

If you were the one to help jump start, that battery is likely to explode due to the heat, and the high load at the same time. [:p]

Thus, I have since became "less helpful."

My previous car,  

- everyday boil the battery electrolyte at 14.8v 

- every two weeks top up battery water    [laugh]

If I can do 24x7, I also will want to do it ! 

My CTEK connects to mains.

I am half way assembling a portable battery charger ...... 

Edited by Kklee

Supercharged

Since you're into tools, you might want to invest in a digital battery analyzer.

It checks and display CCA reading.

CCA reading is an easy way to determine if the battery is in good or bad condition.

ahheemmm.....

2ebbj8o.jpg

Heat within Mini engine bay will kill battery within 2+ year.  The last time i change it was under warranty.

To use CTEK charger, i might have to lim kopi at your place.

CTEK.SE has sponsored 2 units of MXS10 at our showroom location for all to used upon request.  Please come on to our CTEK RECOND mailing & request for the AC Power & MODE setting to be activated - then plug & charge Free anytime at your convenience ( Parking is free only on Sunday & Public Holidays ).   

Lim Battery.

I have 2 CTEK battery chargers and i use them for all my cars and motorcycles.

Simple to use, easy to read.

I am not sponsored by CTEK nor have been paid in anyway.

Just a happy customer who is sharing.

I have used CTEK battery chargers effectively for more than 15yrs

No more battery replacements needed.

Just charge up full, once every few months works for me.

The following brands of vehicles are what i have used CTeK chargers for

Mazda

Harley Davidson

Ford

Ducati

Honda

Porsche

BMW

Mercedes

Kawasaki

Triumph

Volvo

Two Thumbs up.

Next time i go @Limbat, i must use this and ask him for sponsorship , muayhahahhahahahah

Thank you for your support - you must comeby our monthly CTEK RECOND secession, we offer Coffee & Tea  free for all. Last month we had Nasi Lemak as well.

Supersonic

ahheemmm.....

[thumbsup]

Add one more, to check sg of electrolyte :

31l5Z3PSTaL._AC_US218_.jpg

As for charger, I mostly use a samlex and adjustable DC power supplies nowadays.

Thank you for your support - you must comeby our monthly CTEK RECOND secession, we offer Coffee & Tea free for all. Last month we had Nasi Lemak as well.

Haha, thank you Limbat. Joking only.

By the way, what is CTEK Recond session?

• Praise 1

CTEK Battery reconditioning session by our CTEK Battery Chargers,
this SUNDAY Morning 6th August 9.30am-2pm at our ShowRoom at EastLink Building unit 03-22 -  address is on our webby- http://www.limbat.com.sg/ -

Please WHATSAAP 98181138 if u need direction. In celebrating National Day - we will be serving Nasi Lemak by RSVP only & Coffee / Tea on the house.

We will be demonstrating - CTEK Charging Station for a free charge at your timing.

Lim Battery.

• Praise 1

Yes, these could be sign of battery but there could be other reasons to happen this kind of cranking. However, if you simply remember your battery life and it's warranty than it would be much more easy for you to take a positive guess about your battery life. And the best thing to do is run a test other than stuck at the road at any moment.

• Praise 1

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/torque-shop-12

Given that most cars do not come with voltmeters and batteries have a habit of dying without warning, how do I ensure I am not stuck with a flat battery?

The best way to check a battery's condition is to measure the voltage across the terminals while cranking the engine. Anything less than 12 volts indicates that the battery is nearing the end of its life.

At rest, the battery voltage should read between 13 and 14 volts, even though the battery is specified as a 12-volt DC power supply.

As you correctly pointed out, most cars do not feature a voltmeter, so the only means to check the condition of the battery is to have the voltage measured by a battery shop.

Almost all of them are equipped with a simple instrument to measure voltage. While you are at it, ensure that your car battery's voltage is no less than 13.5 volts during idling. With higher revs, the battery voltage should rise to at least 14.4 volts. This will tell you if the alternator is performing well.

Besides this, the best indication of a dying battery is, of course, slow cranking. That means when you turn the ignition key to start, the engine starts up slower than usual.

While this could also suggest a weak starter motor or starter motor wiring, observe if your interior lights or headlights get brighter when you rev the engine beyond idle speed.

A battery which is nearing its end is unable to supply enough voltage to maintain illumination brightness at idle speed.

That is how i check it. Get one from taobao at 5 to 10 buck. Just pnp into the lighter socket to check the voltage.

Got link boh?

I also want to buy.

TIA

I don't agree with this guy, many wrong and misleading information in the article

Yup. You are Absolutely correct.

I should email mr changaroth the battery FAQ!!!

That's why I refuse to ever bother with local motoring journalist! Crock of crap they spout!

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement