How to know battery going to be flat?

Winning

Just ask my MIL.

When it goes flat she will tell you.

I knew it was going to happen.

ð

my late MIL was the low fuel reminder of my car, very irritating especially during long trip

later I found a way to turn it off by placing the cash card on top of the fuel guage to cover it

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Need to check the battery. Most likely, it's drained or the electrolyte is weak.

If that's the case, need to re-cond by special charging.

You can contact me further by pm or call me.

Once re-conditioned, would the battery function as good as new?

How long can it last on the average, barring extreme usage.

I was just wondering if it is more worth while to change to a new battery.

• Praise 1

Need to check the battery. Most likely, it's drained or the electrolyte is weak.

If that's the case, need to re-cond by special charging.

You can contact me further by pm or call me.

Bro

I found the problem.

The terminal connector is not tighten

Next month monitor again when the car goes on leave for 1week.

Thks for yr help.

Edited by Mcf777

I have tried many types of battery including Borsch, Amaron, etc. All can't beat the Panasonic Blue series battery.

http://www.panasonic.hk/mobile/english/products/living/car-battery/caos-maintenance-free-car-battery-(jis)/n-125d26lr-c5-(78ah).aspx

It is more expensive but gives you please of mind. Even after 3 weeks of idle, the car still cranks.

I understand most serious ICE use these type of batteries.

Please feedback if you also are using this battery.

• Praise 1

Once re-conditioned, would the battery function as good as new?

How long can it last on the average, barring extreme usage.

I was just wondering if it is more worth while to change to a new battery.

In some cases, where the battery (lead plates) is good physically, the electrolyte may suffered from sulphation.

It means the acid is weak (very dilute and watery) and can't hold the voltage for long.

By re-conditioning the battery, it's actually fixing the electrolyte.

It will then function like "new".

However, if the battery is worn through wear and tear (on the lead plates), then this re-cond does nothing.

If the battery is relatively new, then it's worth the effort.

If it's close to the end of life, like 2 yrs, then it's probably not worth it.

This is a lead-acid battery, mean both parts "lead" + "acid" must be in good condition for the battery to work.

The battery can get sulphated due to being discharged and left in a discharged state for long period of time.

Bro

I found the problem.

The terminal connector is not tighten

Next month monitor again when the car goes on leave for 1week.

Thks for yr help.

Yeap, when terminal become loose, it caused all kinds of problems.

The alternator will not be able to charge the battery properly and bcuz of poor contact it may not be able to start the engine.

Then some mech went overboard and over-tightened the terminal which cause another type of problem.

They damaged the plastic/metal seal on the battery post and acidic gases starts to emit from there.

It react with the terminal, caused corrosion, leave behind mountains of corrosion salt, which some of you are familiar with.

• Praise 1

Anybody using this currently? 

CTEK CTX Battery Sense Battery Health Monitor

http://www.autobacs.com.sg/shop/promotions/ctek-ctx-battery-sense-battery-health-monitor/

Autobacs is selling on offer now, $70. Wondering if it's a good investment so I can keep an eye on battery health. It's for fun since I already have a jumpstarter 

Great item to monitor the battery status.  Best to check all battery terminals connection & fully charge the battery before going on long trips ...

• Praise 1

Anybody using this currently? 

CTEK CTX Battery Sense Battery Health Monitor

http://www.autobacs.com.sg/shop/promotions/ctek-ctx-battery-sense-battery-health-monitor/

Autobacs is selling on offer now, $70. Wondering if it's a good investment so I can keep an eye on battery health. It's for fun since I already have a jumpstarter 

Just encounter a customer who use this.

Unfortunately, his battery still died unexpectedly and I need to replace for him. [laugh]

​How to prolong car battery life.. 

Very interesting video..

Good video.

Regarding terminals, not every car has a bolt on one with bare wire.

Most are crimped from the factory. So there's not a lot you can do to clean the wires.

Cleaning terminal is important and so is protection from corrosion.

The green/red felt is to minimise such corrosion.

You can alternatively, paint over the terminal, put grease over it.

The basic thing is to have a physical barrier so as to protect the terminal from the acidic gases.

Baking soda is very useful, if you have any acid spill to neutralized.

Unfortunately, his battery still died unexpectedly and I need to replace for him. [laugh]

Perhaps it is battery failure?

Kb27 - can you share how old is your customer battery before it was replace by you - TIA.

This is a monitor device which the user need to check on his phone the health status of the battery. So if the user don't know how to check or lazy to check, the device will be a white elephant and the user will still get battery flat issue.

Kb27 - can you share how old is your customer battery before it was replace by you - TIA.

Can't really remember, but I think it's around 2 yrs, regular life span of batteries here.

Ctek was reading a "bad" battery, voltage around 7V.

After change battery, ctek reading went back to "100%" I think.

I'm not blaming ctek. It was just reading the obvious.

Can't really remember, but I think it's around 2 yrs, regular life span of batteries here.

Ctek was reading a "bad" battery, voltage around 7V.

After change battery, ctek reading went back to "100%" I think.

I'm not blaming ctek. It was just reading the obvious.

The important question is was there any early warning? Of course if ctek been reading low voltage for weeks and customer ignore, then too bad for him. 

Hi all ,

How do you know that battery going to be flat ?

When the car starts , it prompt you "switch to economy mode " . Can this be 1 of the symptoms that battery is weak too ?

Cranking sound . Usually it took me 1 crank to start the engine . But yesterday the cranking sound is long before engine start , can this also telling you that battery going to be flat soon ?

Pls advise

The maximum age of the battery is 3 years. After that it may be give some problem like not charging issue or some other problem. So try to use it for maximum 3 years, after that u can check it from good mechanic. They will guide you better.

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1