Starting a thread for Passat B8.

Collected my Passat Highline on 30 Dec.

Great car to drive. Roomy interior.

Any B8 bros here?

Cheers

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi,

I test drove the Passat over the weekend and really like it a lot. If you don't mind I have some questions on the GPS - the sales person said that it is very costly to update the GPS in VW and she was "persuading" me to go for Comfortline instead. 

What did VW tell you? Do you get free updates for the map, and for how long? 

• Praise 1

Hi,

I test drove the Passat over the weekend and really like it a lot. If you don't mind I have some questions on the GPS - the sales person said that it is very costly to update the GPS in VW and she was "persuading" me to go for Comfortline instead. 

are you referring to the RNS510 system?

map updates are not free and quite costly at VW

but you can update the map outside at a fraction of the VW price

:D

Hi,

Yes the Passat is cool. Been driving for a week. Love the drive.

Your SE is correct. Map update will set you back $700.

No free update.

If you compare the comfortline vs highline, for 5500 diff, you get

1. sunroof
  2. 8 inch discover pro head unit with navigation unit. The discover pro unit is really cool

I went for the Highline. I think the map update can be done outside cheaper.

For this price point, I think the Passat is the best equipped.

Cheers.

are you referring to the RNS510 system?

map updates are not free and quite costly at VW

but you can update the map outside at a fraction of the VW price

Not RNS anymore.

Passat highline using the new 8 inch discover pro navigation unit.

• Praise 2

Pic of my humble ride.

Tungsten silver.

[laugh]

Pic of my humble ride.

Tungsten silver.

[laugh]

Sorry forgot the attachment.

post-42136-0-77591000-1452051496_thumb.jpg

Pic of my humble ride.

Tungsten silver.

[laugh]

Sorry forgot the attachment.

attachicon.gifPassat Highline.jpg

Cannot view the pic leh. Anyway, yes the B8 is a very attractive car. Test driven it couple of weeks ago and loved it. But still a bit pricey so I still have to make do with the B6 for now...

• Praise 1

Cannot view the pic leh. Anyway, yes the B8 is a very attractive car. Test driven it couple of weeks ago and loved it. But still a bit pricey so I still have to make do with the B6 for now...

post-42136-0-23908000-1452052443_thumb.jpg

Still cannot open leh.

Bro, can give a more detailed FR of your B8? More emphasis on the engine, ride and drive please :)

Still cannot open leh.

Bro, can give a more detailed FR of your B8? More emphasis on the engine, ride and drive please :)

From my limited test drive experience, the turbo engine of the B8 feels powerful and acceleration and gear change is very smooth. Suspension is comfortable, smoother than the Mazda 6. The car has more luxury feel than Audi A3 and Mazda 6 (both of which I have tested). 

Sound insulation also fantastic and contributes to the luxury feel.

The only thing holding me back is the price and potential reliability of the gearbox. 

Edited by Red_ryder
  • Praise 2

2.0 version available for test drive and in showroom already?

Yes the Passat is cool. Been driving for a week. Love the drive.

Your SE is correct. Map update will set you back $700.

No free update.

If you compare the comfortline vs highline, for 5500 diff, you get

1. sunroof
  2. 8 inch discover pro head unit with navigation unit. The discover pro unit is really cool

I went for the Highline. I think the map update can be done outside cheaper.

For this price point, I think the Passat is the best equipped.

Cheers.

Not RNS anymore.

Passat highline using the new 8 inch discover pro navigation unit.

sorry i still using old tech  [blush]

2.0 version available for test drive and in showroom already?

sorry i still using old tech  [blush]

It was available in the showroom when I test driven the 1.8. The 1.8 that I tested has plenty of oomph alrdy, this 20 bhp more is alrdy a big step up from my B6.

But I do feel that the 2.0 will definitely be better if money is no object, but it's after all $20k more for 40bhp more and a more reliable 6spd DSG.

I don't need a sunroof and I only wished that I could trade the sunroof in the highline for a 6spd DSG. That will definitely be my ideal configuration.

• Praise 1

Still cannot open leh.

Here is my FR after 1 week of driving.

The 1.8 TSI engine is powerful and yet quiet. The accelerator is responsive and with the max torque of 250Nm pulling from 1250rpm, it is more than sufficient for me. The shifting is smooth and power delivery is fantastic.

The ride is comfortable and sound insulation is excellent. The nappa leather seats are comfy and massage function at the driver seat is a nice touch. Initially I thought the stock 17 inch will look small on the Passat, but they actually look nice and not small. I like the look of the LED DRL and headlights. One disappointing note is the front fog lamps are still on orange halogen, it will be more complete if they are on LED as well.

The discover pro head unit is real cool. The navigation system is clear and ez to use. Though the map update will set me back by $700. Stock sound system and speakers are pretty solid. I have the blackvue 650 with cell link battery pack installed in my B8.

Interior of B8 is up market and feels luxurious. Extremely spacious at the back. One thing that swayed me to buy the B8 is the roomy interior. Before buying, I tested 318i, XE, Q50, C180. The B8 gives the most legroom.

Overall, I feel the Passat is the best equipped car at this price point.

• Praise 3

It was available in the showroom when I test driven the 1.8. The 1.8 that I tested has plenty of oomph alrdy, this 20 bhp more is alrdy a big step up from my B6.

But I do feel that the 2.0 will definitely be better if money is no object, but it's after all $20k more for 40bhp more and a more reliable 6spd DSG.

I don't need a sunroof and I only wished that I could trade the sunroof in the highline for a 6spd DSG. That will definitely be my ideal configuration.

it's the potential and ease of the 2.0 engine for tuning

the max torque of the 1.8t engine seems to be at the limit of the 7dsg in addition to the potential issues of the dry dsg

• Praise 1

I like the Passat B8 too.

However, I think the VW service really su*ks compared to other dealers.

So far, I have worst experience there. Just afraid that servicing will be a pain.

the max torque of the 1.8t engine seems to be at the limit of the 7dsg in addition to the potential issues of the dry dsg

You seem to have quite a bit of lobang for Passat related stuff. Share Share lei.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

That's why I say my preferred config will be 6DSG with 1.8T, because can easily get 10-20% more with base tune [lipsrsealed]

I like the Passat B8 too.

However, I think the VW service really su*ks compared to other dealers.

So far, I have worst experience there. Just afraid that servicing will be a pain.

You seem to have quite a bit of lobang for Passat related stuff. Share Share lei.  [laugh]

which vw model you owned? how did the service su*k?

i got no lobang.  only talk talk nia

the one with a lot of knowledge and lobangs is one mcfer called furrynadz or something like that

• Praise 1

Host your photo somewhere like photobucket.com

Then copy the link given after u have uploaded. Then just paste the [/img] link here to upload a photo

which vw model you owned? how did the service su*k?

i got no lobang.  only talk talk nia

the one with a lot of knowledge and lobangs is one mcfer called furrynadz or something like that

No experience on the vehicle servicing yet but considering this as the next ride.

But the SE service at the showroom really su*k and I'm just afraid that it might translate down to vehicle servicing. I won't go through my litany of complains here.

Trying to find out more about what I can do aftermarket as part of my consideration.

This car really good bang for buck. If only it was RWD too..............lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1