Passat B8

Anderang

Hi Anderang, 55k km is good mileage for 2 yrs 4 month. Actually I was sold when I 1st drove my friend’s Scirocco 1.4 some 5 - 6 years ago. Couldn’t afford it then but the power and gear shifting is ... outta the world, none in comparison so far.

SE was ‘pushy’ and said that was the problematic batch, etc and this 1.8 gearbox is DQ250 and not the old DQ200 - did a quick search and turned out to be false of course (DQ250 is 6 speed wet) - Also said that the dash screen is updated - full LCD (without buttons), throw in 2 ch camera + extra battery, rubber mat, solar film ... That’s all I could remember and realised that these are standard ‘freebies’ but was kinda taken aback by the drive then, still am now ! LOL felt like I could have asked for more :P

And this was a buy with ZERO research done because was really going for the Civic 1.5T but the drive somehow didn’t feel right ... CVT I supposed, test drive 3 times. Almost decided on the hatch during car show as well. I thought just try the Passat before I confirmed my Civic but turned out otherwise LOL

Booked on the day I test drive it - Scary !

Thanks Ryansg for the assurance - hope our Passats can withstand the test of ‘time’ (assuming 5 years LOL) Really a good drive, puts a smile on my face just by thinking about it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros, got my ride a week ago. B8 1.8TSI CL.

Enjoying the ride so far. But having issues using App Connect. 请高人指点 !

Keen to install reverse camera with VW emblem logo. Any lobang?

Hi Bros, got my ride a week ago. B8 1.8TSI CL.

Enjoying the ride so far. But having issues using App Connect. 请é«äººæç¹ !

Keen to install reverse camera with VW emblem logo. Any lobang?

Welcome to the club!

Neutral Newbie

Welcome to the club! ð¤

What issues do you face on App Connect?

Installed Android Auto/Apple CarPlay already but not responsive?

My brother used to own a Golf and his VW kakis had a recommended go-to guy, but I've yet to make up my mind on the go-ahead.

Search "Jimmy CBX". Should be first search result.

Can't get the App Connect to function well with my S8+ but with S7 edge could connect momentarily and then gets disconnected so often till I gave up.

Thought could use Google Map to work since my headunit does not come with navigation.

Still learning about the car day by day. So far the pros still outweigh the cons for now. Enjoying the car ride so far.

Can't get the App Connect to function well with my S8+ but with S7 edge could connect momentarily and then gets disconnected so often till I gave up.

Thought could use Google Map to work since my headunit does not come with navigation.

Still learning about the car day by day. So far the pros still outweigh the cons for now. Enjoying the car ride so far.

Using S8+ too, but no problems so far.

Waze occasionally unable to complete routing but Google Maps always work well.

Could be the either cable or software.

If problem is with the head unit, I'm sure VW will be able to sort it out.

I download Android Auto from the link below.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-3-2-5815-release/#downloads

As for cable, I'm using a L-shaped type C connector so that the phone can rest in the "cramped" spot, without protruding at the ends.

MKDMiD USB Type C Cable, 3.3ft 90 Degree USB 3.1 Type C to USB 2.0 Male Charging Cable for Apple New Macbook 12 Inch, Nokia N1 and other Type C Device (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072P77QBV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Xbg8Ab0XVD80J

Neutral Newbie

Using S8+ too, but no problems so far.

Waze occasionally unable to complete routing but Google Maps always work well.

Could be the either cable or software.

If problem is with the head unit, I'm sure VW will be able to sort it out.

I download Android Auto from the link below.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-3-2-5815-release/#downloads

As for cable, I'm using a L-shaped type C connector so that the phone can rest in the "cramped" spot, without protruding at the ends.

MKDMiD USB Type C Cable, 3.3ft 90 Degree USB 3.1 Type C to USB 2.0 Male Charging Cable for Apple New Macbook 12 Inch, Nokia N1 and other Type C Device (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072P77QBV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Xbg8Ab0XVD80J

Thanks Ryansg,

Previously i tried Mirrorlink but not very stable and kept disconnecting on my S8+.

Will try Android Auto and see how it goes.

(edited)

Android Auto is very sensitive to the cable used for connection.

First try to use the original phone charging cable to see how stable it is. If there are still frequent disconnections then it could be something else but the cable should be the first troubleshooting place.

Edited by Paddie

Neutral Newbie

Hi Guys, is it possible to install God's View in Passat B8 highline? Any recommendation on where to do it and how much?

Officially it is known as "Area View", but it is more commonly known as "God's View".  As you can see from the main photo, that's an appropriate nick name.  Interestingly it also have three other views that can come in handy too.   Beside being handy to check if you parked dead center in a lot, it's helluva fun watching it live while driving.  The effect is just spectacular! It's as if you have a drone flying above your car feeding you live update of your surrounding.  Unfortunately, it's so much fun VW cut off the feed after about 10 seconds for obvious reason.

Regretfully the current Variant does not have Park Assist.  :-(

Hi Guys, is it possible to install God's View in Passat B8 highline? Any recommendation on where to do it and how much?

Does the Highline already have a front camera?  I think it doesn't have side cameras, so that alone can be expensive because you'll need a new set of mirrors with build-in camera underneath.  

I've seen aftermarket versions in TaoBao.  They may not integrate nicely (you probably need an independent monitor) but that's not the toughest part.  From my experience, most installers will not want to run a camera to your outside mirror.  There's simply no elegant way to conceal the wiring.  The problem there is the mirror is retractable, and the associated mechanism makes it near impossible to squeeze even a thin wire through it.  

So I suggest you talk to your installer first, before you buy those TaoBao version.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Does the Highline already have a front camera? I think it doesn't have side cameras, so that alone can be expensive because you'll need a new set of mirrors with build-in camera underneath.

I've seen aftermarket versions in TaoBao. They may not integrate nicely (you probably need an independent monitor) but that's not the toughest part. From my experience, most installers will not want to run a camera to your outside mirror. There's simply no elegant way to conceal the wiring. The problem there is the mirror is retractable, and the associated mechanism makes it near impossible to squeeze even a thin wire through it.

So I suggest you talk to your installer first, before you buy those TaoBao version.

Bluemint, only have reverse camera currently. Yup it’s a pain when dealer doesn’t offer such options during purchase of the car. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Bluemint, can I check how should i go about adding the logo? 

Thanks! 

Samples.jpg

I made these Station Logos not long ago, and recently added two new stations to the collection.

It's made for my B8's MIB Discover Pro (Gen 2).  I *think* it should work for older generation.

If there are stations I miss, drop me a line and I may add them for you.

The zip file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4ub530816z9ebp6/SG_Radio_Station_Logos_%2820180108%29.zip

th_2017-08-16%2012.31.12.jpg

Hi all! I am new owner of B8, delighted to find this forum for B8 online :) Can i check if anyone knows where to can the front grill to the 2.0 R line design? Thanks in advance 

• Praise 1

(edited)

Hi Bluemint, can I check how should i go about adding the logo? 

Thanks! 

Hi,

Copy all the logos on to a SDCard.  I keep them in their own folder called "Station Logos".  I use the same SDCard that holds all my mp3. 

(Before you start, make sure you have already set your radio stations.)

1. Select the desired frequency band in the Radio main menu.
  2. Touch the Setup function button and then touch Station logos .
  3. Touch the station button to which you wish to assign the station logo.
  4. Select the source on which the logo is stored, (e.g. SD 1 ).
  5. Select the station logo. Repeat the process to allocate further logos.
  6. Press the RADIO Infotainment button to return to the Radio main menu.
Above instructions is from the MIB manual, which interestingly I just found out assigning logos can be done automatically.  Wish I knew that earlier.  I have not tried it but it sure will be time-saving.  Give it a try yourself.  If it doesn't work, do it manually.

Setup -> Advanced Settings -> Auto-save station logos.

Oh, you can delete the logos from the sdcard when you're done assigning them.  I keep them in the sdcard just in case somehow I need to re-assign them in future.

Hi all! I am new owner of B8, delighted to find this forum for B8 online :) Can i check if anyone knows where to can the front grill to the 2.0 R line design? Thanks in advance 

Don't lah.  I will laugh at you when I see your fake R-Line.  Why spend money to get laughed at?  :-p

Edited by Bluemint
  • Praise 2

the straight lines on the grille very nice liao mah, why change it?

↡ Advertisement