Passat B8

Anderang

Haha.. i quite like the spider web design.. personal preference

Body kit, aesthetics is truly personal preference.

Tyres, on the other hand, may be objectively assessed.

Would like to seek some opinions on the stock tyres that were given. What tyres did you get and how well have they performed?

Mine's the Pirelli Cinturato P7, and on some wet roads, I've experience a few slips. The wear rate is ok and I'm only at about 9k km mileage. Likely changing soon, if I face another slip during a u-turn or moving off.

• Praise 1

if you want less "slip" choose a wider tyre.

the stock tyres are 215 section width? if you change it to a 225 or 235, less chance the torque will overpower the tyre.

then that brings your to changing rims, changing tyres... never ending headaches again... hahaha

i swapped out the stock 17" 215/55R17 rims n tyres for larger wheels and wider tyres, very happy with the results. 

but 17" tyres will give you best fuel economy.

if you want less "slip" choose a wider tyre.

the stock tyres are 215 section width? if you change it to a 225 or 235, less chance the torque will overpower the tyre.

then that brings your to changing rims, changing tyres... never ending headaches again... hahaha

i swapped out the stock 17" 215/55R17 rims n tyres for larger wheels and wider tyres, very happy with the results.

but 17" tyres will give you best fuel economy.

Yup. Stock is as you've mentioned, 215/55R17.

As long as the change comes along with safety and better assurances while on the go, it's justifiable. Guess it comes down to either going with better performing tyres or creating a wider choice by going bigger and wider.

And some might say, why not both?

Yup. Stock is as you've mentioned, 215/55R17.

As long as the change comes along with safety and better assurances while on the go, it's justifiable. Guess it comes down to either going with better performing tyres or creating a wider choice by going bigger and wider.

And some might say, why not both?

My number 1 priority in replacing the tyres is road noise; as little as possible. You might want to consider that too.

Wider tyres may give better grip in the dry but come with higher chances of aqua-planning in the wet. Is aesthetic more important than safety? The grippiest tyre is one that is bald, like those on F1 racing cars (I think they might have mandated some grooves now though). It's illegal and impractical for daily use.

To be frank, exactly how quick can you race on a Passat? Stock wheel size is an ideal compromise on both comfort and handling.

But if you must upsize, don't mess it up with wrong sizing. Here's the stock wheel on mine for you reference. The Pireilli CINTURATO P7 is surprisingly quiet for a "green-performance" tyre. I'd probably replace them with the same one in time to come.

th_235-40-R19.jpg

Thanks for your advice.

That's the thing about the Cinturato that I'm puzzled with. It ranks decent in performance reviews yet I faced these slips when I'm not trying to go fast at all. Like you mentioned, the Passat is definite not a car for racing. It's a decent family saloon for leisure driving and passenger comfort.

Slips happened once at a u-turn and twice moving off. The other was at a stretch that was under some road works. Maybe I've just gotten an inferior set. Just uncertain if I'll stick to this as it's my first Pirelli.

Thanks for your advice.

That's the thing about the Cinturato that I'm puzzled with. It ranks decent in performance reviews yet I faced these slips when I'm not trying to go fast at all. Like you mentioned, the Passat is definite not a car for racing. It's a decent family saloon for leisure driving and passenger comfort.

Slips happened once at a u-turn and twice moving off. The other was at a stretch that was under some road works. Maybe I've just gotten an inferior set. Just uncertain if I'll stick to this as it's my first Pirelli.

I bet the road was damp?

Turbo cars have lots of torque, which can break free the front wheels momentarily on wet road during initial launch.  No tyre can help you overcome your heavy foot.  wink.  Mine spin readily if I floor it, not once but thrice as the gear upshifts from 1st to 3rd before I run out of roads.  No one can explain to me why the ETC did not kick in to prevent that from happening (not that I don't enjoy them. lol. )

I bet the road was damp?

Turbo cars have lots of torque, which can break free the front wheels momentarily on wet road during initial launch. No tyre can help you overcome your heavy foot. wink. Mine spin readily if I floor it, not once but thrice as the gear upshifts from 1st to 3rd before I run out of roads. No one can explain to me why the ETC did not kick in to prevent that from happening (not that I don't enjoy them. lol. )

Yes, but not unusually wet.

11km+/l, with the usual morning school traffic crawl, probably suggest that I'm not that heavy footed. Maybe just heavy only...

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Newbie here. Expected yo collect CL end Jun.

1) May I know if anyone still experience the dsg7 horror abt losing power ,... after the sw grade and changing mechatronic to mineral oil since 2015 ?

2)Also, any advise

I) “what not to do while driving Dsg7?”

II) any new car break in needed for b8 ?

Iii) does it violate vw warranty if I fix rear camera ?

Tks

Neutral Newbie
Twincharged

Hi,

Newbie here. Expected yo collect CL end Jun.

1) May I know if anyone still experience the dsg7 horror abt losing power ,... after the sw grade and changing mechatronic to mineral oil since 2015 ?

2)Also, any advise

I) “what not to do while driving Dsg7?”

II) any new car break in needed for b8 ?

Iii) does it violate vw warranty if I fix rear camera ?

Tks

I think spend long time "Creeping" in Traffic killed the DSG easily,so avoid long Causeway Jams.Modern Cars,no need to run in.......

Neutral Newbie

Tks ER-3682.

First timer for VW.

Feel Gd esp the space & legroom in Passat.

But still wondering if the B8 have solved the previous scary DSG7 saga.

Met a Passat owner and he complained he needs to topup engine oil and coolant every few Kkm. He was wondering if it was properly ‘run in’ ( i doubt this info )

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bros, got my ride a week ago. B8 1.8TSI CL.

Enjoying the ride so far. But having issues using App Connect. 请é«äººæç¹ !

Keen to install reverse camera with VW emblem logo. Any lobang?

Hi VinLSS

Hv you installed the reverse camera ?

How is it?

Can share feedback ?

I m keen to install too.

Twincharged

Tks ER-3682.

First timer for VW.

Feel Gd esp the space & legroom in Passat.

But still wondering if the B8 have solved the previous scary DSG7 saga.

Met a Passat owner and he complained he needs to topup engine oil and coolant every few Kkm. He was wondering if it was properly ‘run in’ ( i doubt this info )

For VW & Audi,topping up 1 Litre of Oil every 5,000-7,500Km,is consider "Normal",cannot compare with Japanese Car,where not need to top up between Servicing....but topping up for Coolant is not normal.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys?

The Passat comes with the Blackvue 2ch/ 590 .

Like to know any feedback from you guys on this recorder ?

Considering yo use my current one or take the VW Blackburn 590 set.

Tks for feedback,

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys?

The Passat comes with the Blackvue 2ch/ 590 .

Like to know any feedback from you guys on this recorder ?

Considering yo use my current one or take the VW Blackburn 590 set.

Tks for feedback,

Neutral Newbie

Hi VinLSS

Hv you installed the reverse camera ?

How is it?

Can share feedback ?

I m keen to install too.

Hi bdo,

Yup installed it a couple of weeks ago. Original camera with emblem logo and linked up to headunit. Enhanced reverse lookout. So far so good.

↡ Advertisement