Passat B8

Anderang

Test drive both Mondeo 1.5 Ecoboost  & VW Passat 1.8T  & Kia Optima yesterday.  Actually Passat drive is quiet and has pretty good acceleration.  It takes uneven road pretty well and handle very well.  Engine sound is nice and quiet.  Gear shift during acceleration is seamless and fast.  I like both Mondeo and Passat - but FC says No.

My only concern are:

1) Price is about $20K more expensive than other Japanese/ Korean brands - so how to justify the premium to my FC ?

2) Comfortline does not have a reverse camera, NAVI and sunroof.  Highline is another $5k more.

It depend what is the purpose you buy a car. If the main purpose is the get from point A to B, no need think so much and go for the economy Jap/Kor car. 

If you require more like quiet cabin, solid feel when close door, more refine interior, effortless engine, smoother ride, dynamic handling, more detail compartment, etc... then conti car will be your choice. Ford, VW, Opel, are the limited brand where you can choose if you have budget concern if selecting conti car. 

Passat is targeting 3 series and C-class, and it make clear segregation with her sister A4. Don't compare Passat with Jap/Kor family sedan, compare it with BBA then you will find that is $20k cheaper where you can enjoy all the feature.

Go for the Highline, my kids always ask me to open the sunroof to see the beautiful blue sky and star.

↡ Advertisement

Test drive both Mondeo 1.5 Ecoboost  & VW Passat 1.8T  & Kia Optima yesterday.  Actually Passat drive is quiet and has pretty good acceleration.  It takes uneven road pretty well and handle very well.  Engine sound is nice and quiet.  Gear shift during acceleration is seamless and fast.  I like both Mondeo and Passat - but FC says No.

My only concern are:

1) Price is about $20K more expensive than other Japanese/ Korean brands - so how to justify the premium to my FC ?

2) Comfortline does not have a reverse camera, NAVI and sunroof.  Highline is another $5k more.

Saw you post in the Mondeo forum. Before I decide Passat, I tested Mondeo twice. The "Aston Martin" is the main attraction point and it has a fine interior. Handling is dynamic and very engaging. After BMW, this car is the 2nd best in term of handling for the cars I tested drive. The only let down is the 1.5L engine, I feel a bit under power. Seat is fabric although SE said will change to leather ?!! no electric seat !!!

Finally I choose Passat over Mondeo (my final list is Passat and Q50 [:p] ) - 1 class upper for the interior, memory seat (massage chair is ++), more powerful 1.8L engine, seamless gear shifting, more quiet cabin, and finally the exterior more gentle and long lasting looks.

Booked my Passat last week as well and now waiting to secure the COE. My first car so really excited about it. I do notice I don't see it much on the roads though, not very popular in Singapore before B8?

Booked my Passat last week as well and now waiting to secure the COE. My first car so really excited about it. I do notice I don't see it much on the roads though, not very popular in Singapore before B8?

Congrats on booking the Passat.

Actually once you start to drive one, you will tend to notice it more on the roads. I will say that the Passat was more commonly seen on the roads from B5.5 onwards. B6, the one I'm currently driving,  was fairly popular as it stretched from 2006 up till 2011, started with FSI, to TFSI and finally to TSI.

Congrats on booking the Passat.

Actually once you start to drive one, you will tend to notice it more on the roads. I will say that the Passat was more commonly seen on the roads from B5.5 onwards. B6, the one I'm currently driving,  was fairly popular as it stretched from 2006 up till 2011, started with FSI, to TFSI and finally to TSI.

The new Passat, seen a few on the roads already. First thing that makes you notice the car is the front LED. So wide and bright.

Bro HuShunjie,

Congrats. You will probably get your COE tomorrow cos VW usually get it on the first bid.

You got the 1.8 or 2.0?

Ya not many B8 on the road. To date i only saw 2 or 3 B8 on the road after i got my highline end Dec 2015.

Waiting for more B8 bros to jump in. 

It is a wonderful car to drive.

Cheers.

The new Passat, seen a few on the roads already. First thing that makes you notice the car is the front LED. So wide and bright.

Yes you are right!

I really love the look of my double U LED DRL. :yuush:

Passat B8 2 Litre is one of my choice for my new car, but lots of my friends who are VW owner have had some issues with their VW.

Even a friend GTI (6 speed gearbox) had their mechatronics replaced before.

Bro HuShunjie,

Congrats. You will probably get your COE tomorrow cos VW usually get it on the first bid.

You got the 1.8 or 2.0?

Ya not many B8 on the road. To date i only saw 2 or 3 B8 on the road after i got my highline end Dec 2015.

Cheers.

Yes you are right!

Thanks Anderang. I got a 1.8 comfortline. Yeah waiting for 4pm now to see the results, haha, but the color I choose (White w brown interior) no stock so need to indent. SE say June then come :S

Bro HuShunjie,

You got the 1.8 or 2.0?

Cheers.

Yes you are right!

i find the DRL is extremely glaring at night when headlight is off

Agree. The current Passat is a looker....

Let's hear from you guys how the gearbox, clutch or engine is doing 6months down the road....

Agree. The current Passat is a looker....

Let's hear from you guys how the gearbox, clutch or engine is doing 6months down the road....

Sure... I will provide that...

Btw, I am getting avg 10km/L for my B8. Expect the fuel consumption to be better.

But not a big issue for me, important thing is I enjoy driving the car!

Cheers.

My last tank got ~11.5km/l, better than the average 10km/l from the last few tanks.

Probably more expressway driving.

Just serviced by an exception se at MacPherson branch. Name is rex 91391706. Thought I spam his number here (no benefits to me but he really went all out to served me. ) . He so so attentive to me and did not hard sell. Very patient with me and recommended me what I wanted.

If he ever asked , just say Nick recommend him.

Heard from SE in Alexandra that SE in Macpherson are all new bird who wear nice exesecutive suits. Might be due to internal competition that he said so. Hopefully the offer not as exesecutive as they looks.lol...

Of course he needs to be nice & understanding,he is selling something over $150k,not $1.50,he is earning a Thousand in commission,& is selling a "Lemon" [lipsrsealed] ,with so much worry with its DSG,+poor Service Centre attitude.....You signed the Dotted line & your car take delivery,that it...any future problems with your car,he will just say..."Go to my Service Dept,they will settle for you"... [furious]

Just serviced by an exception se at MacPherson branch. Name is rex 91391706. Thought I spam his number here (no benefits to me but he really went all out to served me. ) . He so so attentive to me and did not hard sell. Very patient with me and recommended me what I wanted.

If he ever asked , just say Nick recommend him.

Edited by ER-3682
↡ Advertisement