Dilemma between the Jag XE, Merc CLA250SB & BMW 330i(F30)

mcs08

Will like advice from fellow car enthusiasts for advice on the 3 cars:

Which will you put your money in and why? (Thanks for giving me your reason!)

I am aware that the 3 of them belong to different categories but their prices are pretty similar and imho, they all look good and each one with their individual ups & downs. WHICH is WHY I am caught in a dilemma in which to get.

I had also test driven them, except the CLA250(not available for test drive) and am loving how the Jag handles and how wonderful the pull of the BMW is. Test driven the CLA180SB, underpowered and am not a fan of FWD, especially so for wagon driving.

For my needs, it's basically a 4-5door family-type of car with a fun aspect, definitely.

Not too shabby a price when I sell in 3-4years time.

Jaguar XE

cc94f130-b5ab-4512-9bbf-7ca55c361bdd.jpg

CLA 250 Shooting Brake

9a04a03a-ac6e-4294-b28e-75ab92d7dae2.jpg

BMW 330i, F30

ea1b8360-7224-4c1f-8aeb-921b1df80c93.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your helpful inputs!

XE has the new ingenium engine coming in soon to replace the old Ford Focus ST unit. Just a few month's wait.

The F30 330 is a rebadge of the old 328? Not impressed with the new BMWs... Seemed to have lost their driving soul. More practical than the Jag.

CLA250 is ugly imo, and the Amg specced version makes the ride hideous, and a boomy drive..

Perhaps a C400 is nice

XE has the new ingenium engine coming in soon to replace the old Ford Focus ST unit. Just a few month's wait.

The F30 330 is a rebadge of the old 328? Not impressed with the new BMWs... Seemed to have lost their driving soul. More practical than the Jag.

CLA250 is ugly imo, and the Amg specced version makes the ride hideous, and a boomy drive..

Perhaps a C400 is nice

I'm not sure if the petrol ingenium is in its final stage now. Reviews of their launch do vary quite abit.

Even if it is completed, I believe for it to hit our shores, it will be in the 3rd quarter or so, with shipping time being taken into consideration. Also, 1st batch of new engine...nottttt to sure about the reliability. 

Shooting brake's fan base is quite extreme, it is either u love it or hate it. That will be a factor to consider for reselling later on. I, for one, do not like the normal CLA. Shooting Brake, I do like it.

Of the 3, the Merc has got the best interior among them tho. Minus the idiotic 'ipad after thought' in the middle and column gear selector will be good! Makes me feel like a taxi driver when selecting drive/neutral/reverse [furious]

I also think the current Merc C class looks is ahem ahem... 

I'm totally with u on that!  :a-happy:

CLA quite small compared to the other two lah.

Both the Jag and the BMW have nice engines. Between them I think I'll go for the Beemer marginally.

Ur option is 2 door haha

Davidtch may be mentioning about the 4series Gran Coupe? Likely not! Lol!

Cant deny, the 4series do look good. 

Unless you require an estate car I would avoid the CLA in this lineup.

Seems like the SB is not getting too much love from this forum. Haha!

How come 330 more ex than XE?

Before neg, the 330i is going for $231,800 while the XE(Prestige) is $204,999.

With options added in, the XE will be the more expensive one as options from Jaguar are nowhere near cheap.

Ur option is 2 door haha

Gran coupe = 5 door

Davidtch may be mentioning about the 4series Gran Coupe? Likely not! Lol!

Cant deny, the 4series do look good.

Gran Coupe is nicest looking sedan in BMW line up Edited by Davidtch

Turbocharged

It's ironic, the CLA200 Shooting Brake was one of the cars I considered very seriously.

Exactly why i'm not sure which one to take to the highway with!

Kind of miss the days when choosing was easy  [shocked] ...or maybe it never was?  [laugh]

I know this is crappy advice, but I will suggest you to keep visiting the 3 showrooms to touch, smell, look at the DRL/head-lights, and test-drive these cars until you find the one which you really fancy. Also bring your spouse along to provide feedback on the ride behind. You have to be a little thick-skinned to do this, but for the money you are going to spend, it's totally worth it.

However, do take note when you read UK car magazines or motoring programmes for comparison, there will be a bias towards Jaguar XE because they are very supportive of their own brands (although Jag is owned by Tata, an India-based group). This is natural so just take it with a pinch of salt. Local magazines are even worse because they only ever write about good stuff. Hence, rely on your own test-drives or feedbacks from direct owners to form your opinion. 

I agreed with you that choosing a car is never easy, more so in a country that makes car ownership so expensive. Good luck with your choice bro!

Edited by Weez911

Before neg, the 330i is going for $231,800 while the XE(Prestige) is $204,999.

With options added in, the XE will be the more expensive one as options from Jaguar are nowhere near cheap.

with such pricing.. why not consider .. E200 520i or A6...much bigger 

↡ Advertisement