Netflix

Mustank

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/android-set-top-boxes-tv-streaming-copyright-or-wrong-20

Android set-top boxes for TV streaming: Copyright or wrong?

Streaming videos is piracy, say pay TV operators; lawyers unclear on liability

Published on Jul 20, 2014 5:51 AM

Pay TV operators SingTel and StarHub, along with content owners such as Fox and TVB, are crying foul over the rise of cheap Internet boxes which allow users to get premium, high-definition programmes from as low as $6 a month.

But it is unclear if people who buy these Android set-top boxes and subscribe to streaming services are breaking the the law.

On a recent visit to Sim Lim Square, The Sunday Times found more than 10 shops selling these boxes openly. Shopkeepers said sales have gone up from three boxes a day two years ago to more than 10 boxes daily, thanks to sleeker designs and greater consumer awareness.

During the recent football World Cup, some shops sold as many as 18 boxes a day.

A shopkeeper on the third level who wanted to be known only as Louise said: "People have no problems with the services. They can watch all the channels they want. Others who see it want it too."

These boxes, which cost between $120 and $250, are essentially tiny computers running on the Android operating system used in popular smartphones and tablets. They are pre-loaded with apps, such as PPTV and Funshion, which stream movies and TV shows for free.

New apps from China such as CloudTV have also emerged to offer free and premium content.

CloudTV's "English channels" pack for instance offers unlimited viewing of more than 50 channels, including HBO, English Premier League, Discovery and CNN, for US$4.99 (S$6.20) to US$6.99 each month.

Shopkeepers said sales of these boxes are not in breach of any regulation here. One of them, Jason, who declined to give his full name, said: "I've been selling them for about two years. Would I still be here if they were illegal?"

Louise added: "It is not illegal to use Android here."

But pay TV providers, who charge $12.90 to $69.90 for their packages, and content-rights owners call the streaming services "piracy" and warn consumers that those who use them may be infringing copyright.

A StarHub spokesman said: "Sale of boxes which facilitate unauthorised access to content amounts to theft. End users also suffer inconsistency in quality of service and may experience termination of access when the pirate host sites are shut down."

A SingTel spokesman said: "Using apps to access content without the proper IP (intellectural property) rights is illegal and users can be subject to copyright suits."

Executives from Discovery Networks, TVB and Fox International Channels also urged viewers not to support piracy.

Mr Wilfred Chow, senior Intellectual Propety Advisor of Hong Kong's TVB, said: "TVB will take all legal measures, including both criminal and civil actions, to stop unauthorised streaming of our programmes."

Lawyers here say that buying the boxes is likely to be okay, but subscribing to pirated content may not be.

The Ministry of Law said rights owners may take civil action for copyright infringement against users who had been found to access or download programmes for viewing without authorisation.

The grey area is whether such consumers are criminally liable.

Mr Bryan Tan, a partner at Pinsent Masons MPillay, said: "Broadcasting illegal content is an offence but it is still unclear if receiving streaming content is."

Mr Loh CS, a 26-year-old computer engineer who bought a $149 box for his family at an IT show last year, said: "When I bought mine, I definitely got the sense that it was not legal. But it felt like it was too good a deal to pass up."

I tiagong taobao got xiaomi

Can anyone explain to me how this stuff work?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

(edited)

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/android-set-top-boxes-tv-streaming-copyright-or-wrong-20

Android set-top boxes for TV streaming: Copyright or wrong?

Streaming videos is piracy, say pay TV operators; lawyers unclear on liability

Published on Jul 20, 2014 5:51 AM

Pay TV operators SingTel and StarHub, along with content owners such as Fox and TVB, are crying foul over the rise of cheap Internet boxes which allow users to get premium, high-definition programmes from as low as $6 a month.

But it is unclear if people who buy these Android set-top boxes and subscribe to streaming services are breaking the the law.

On a recent visit to Sim Lim Square, The Sunday Times found more than 10 shops selling these boxes openly. Shopkeepers said sales have gone up from three boxes a day two years ago to more than 10 boxes daily, thanks to sleeker designs and greater consumer awareness.

During the recent football World Cup, some shops sold as many as 18 boxes a day.

A shopkeeper on the third level who wanted to be known only as Louise said: "People have no problems with the services. They can watch all the channels they want. Others who see it want it too."

These boxes, which cost between $120 and $250, are essentially tiny computers running on the Android operating system used in popular smartphones and tablets. They are pre-loaded with apps, such as PPTV and Funshion, which stream movies and TV shows for free.

New apps from China such as CloudTV have also emerged to offer free and premium content.

CloudTV's "English channels" pack for instance offers unlimited viewing of more than 50 channels, including HBO, English Premier League, Discovery and CNN, for US$4.99 (S$6.20) to US$6.99 each month.

Shopkeepers said sales of these boxes are not in breach of any regulation here. One of them, Jason, who declined to give his full name, said: "I've been selling them for about two years. Would I still be here if they were illegal?"

Louise added: "It is not illegal to use Android here."

But pay TV providers, who charge $12.90 to $69.90 for their packages, and content-rights owners call the streaming services "piracy" and warn consumers that those who use them may be infringing copyright.

A StarHub spokesman said: "Sale of boxes which facilitate unauthorised access to content amounts to theft. End users also suffer inconsistency in quality of service and may experience termination of access when the pirate host sites are shut down."

A SingTel spokesman said: "Using apps to access content without the proper IP (intellectural property) rights is illegal and users can be subject to copyright suits."

Executives from Discovery Networks, TVB and Fox International Channels also urged viewers not to support piracy.

Mr Wilfred Chow, senior Intellectual Propety Advisor of Hong Kong's TVB, said: "TVB will take all legal measures, including both criminal and civil actions, to stop unauthorised streaming of our programmes."

Lawyers here say that buying the boxes is likely to be okay, but subscribing to pirated content may not be.

The Ministry of Law said rights owners may take civil action for copyright infringement against users who had been found to access or download programmes for viewing without authorisation.

The grey area is whether such consumers are criminally liable.

Mr Bryan Tan, a partner at Pinsent Masons MPillay, said: "Broadcasting illegal content is an offence but it is still unclear if receiving streaming content is."

Mr Loh CS, a 26-year-old computer engineer who bought a $149 box for his family at an IT show last year, said: "When I bought mine, I definitely got the sense that it was not legal. But it felt like it was too good a deal to pass up."

I tiagong taobao got xiaomi

Can anyone explain to me how this stuff work?

Simple. One or more people subscribe to all the pay-tv streams. These streams are then uploaded to the cloud server. You access the contents through peer-to-peer sharing to reduce the load on the cloud server. There will be some time lag between the actual official stream using the STV compared to these Android boxes. You can compare it to last time pirates use video-cam to film the new releases in cinema, but this one is without the heads and background noise.

The content providers are always crying foul because SH thought that by investing and upgrading to Nagra3 encryption, they would have effectively rendered all the pirated STB useless. ST's MIO TV can also be streamed this way. Now less than a few months of the implementation, there is now another way to continue providing the video feed using another platform, and this is even harder to combat, unless they can take out the overseas server. Blocking IP will not help much as people can use VPN to circumvent the blockage.

Previously I did mention, whatever they come out with, it'll be obsolete the very day it's implement. Hackers will find ways, both high tech and unconventional ways to go around it. It's an endless game.

Legal or not, it's up to how the greedy content providers want to define. When you go into Malaysia, you did not pay for any radio / tv license, so it is illegal to tap into their radio and tv broadcast with your car radio? Same for these streams, it's broadcast openly over the Internet, your box is designed to receive the streams.

Edited by Bystander50
  • Praise 10

I just know that this industry is monopoly one. In other countries, its up to u who u want to subscribe or watch. Not they tap on starhub box so what infringement? They the one created the HBO shows ah? They the one film is it?

• Praise 4

Singtel and starhub dinosaurs kpkb cos they can't offer better services instead.

Yup, they are like 2 kids given free flow of carbonated water....Then cry father & mother when the free flow stopped.

They have grown so fat, should they cut down on their intake for their own good.

They need to grow up and start to do things that works.

• Praise 9

Simple. One or more people subscribe to all the pay-tv streams. These streams are then uploaded to the cloud server. You access the contents through peer-to-peer sharing to reduce the load on the cloud server. There will be some time lag between the actual official stream using the STV compared to these Android boxes. You can compare it to last time pirates use video-cam to film the new releases in cinema, but this one is without the heads and background noise.

The content providers are always crying foul because SH thought that by investing and upgrading to Nagra3 encryption, they would have effectively rendered all the pirated STB useless. ST's MIO TV can also be streamed this way. Now less than a few months of the implementation, there is now another way to continue providing the video feed using another platform, and this is even harder to combat, unless they can take out the overseas server. Blocking IP will not help much as people can use VPN to circumvent the blockage.

Previously I did mention, whatever they come out with, it'll be obsolete the very day it's implement. Hackers will find ways, both high tech and unconventional ways to go around it. It's an endless game.

Legal or not, it's up to how the greedy content providers want to define. When you go into Malaysia, you did not pay for any radio / tv license, so it is illegal to tap into their radio and tv broadcast with your car radio? Same for these streams, it's broadcast openly over the Internet, your box is designed to receive the streams.

Whoa!!!! Thanks for the explaination!!!

Thinking of getting a xiao Mi for my mum

I tiagong that time they got put out one article say Internet football lag like siao, cannot compare with Singtel starhub wor [grin]

Whoa!!!! Thanks for the explaination!!!

Thinking of getting a xiao Mi for my mum

I tiagong that time they got put out one article say Internet football lag like siao, cannot compare with Singtel starhub wor [grin]

There is definitely some lag. When comparing with the live stream by connecting your TV directly to the cable point and another going direct via the STB, there are also some 3 - 5 sec lag. Coupled with cost savings, I dont' think you would even mind that 1 -2 minutes lag when watching football.

ST and SH would always like to use "quality" to their advantage, but these boxes video quality is comparable. If you find the right boxes, they can even function similiar to the hubstation by allowing you to record. The box I put at my parents house allow them to watch all CCTV channels, and best of all, it allows them to watch what they missed for the past 7 days. Can ST or SH offer such value added services without subscribers paying more?

I used to have SH's Chinese movies channel, the movies are repeated and I'm paying extra $ to watch the same old thing every week.

There is definitely some lag. When comparing with the live stream by connecting your TV directly to the cable point and another going direct via the STB, there are also some 3 - 5 sec lag. Coupled with cost savings, I dont' think you would even mind that 1 -2 minutes lag when watching football.

ST and SH would always like to use "quality" to their advantage, but these boxes video quality is comparable. If you find the right boxes, they can even function similiar to the hubstation by allowing you to record. The box I put at my parents house allow them to watch all CCTV channels, and best of all, it allows them to watch what they missed for the past 7 days. Can ST or SH offer such value added services without subscribers paying more?

I used to have SH's Chinese movies channel, the movies are repeated and I'm paying extra $ to watch the same old thing every week.

can you recommend me any box that the kids can watch cartoon and I can watch history and neo geo?

cctv only works for my mum

Thanks in advance!!!

Anything that you watch that they can't charge money for is illegal.

That's exactly what I thought! As long as money don't go into their pockets then it is illegal, simple as that. Their 4G sucks, every time have to downgrade to 3G, is this fair especially when we are paying for 4G services?

That's exactly what I thought! As long as money don't go into their pockets then it is illegal, simple as that. Their 4G sucks, every time have to downgrade to 3G, is this fair especially when we are paying for 4G services?

yeah!!!!!!!! beardbng.gifmetalup.gif

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1448024/hong-kong-viewers-turn-xiaomi-boxes-online-alternative-local-tv

Hong Kong viewers turn to Xiaomi boxes, online alternative to local TV
PUBLISHED : Friday, 14 March, 2014, 4:32am
UPDATED : Friday, 14 March, 2014, 4:32am

Amy Nip and Stuart Lau

• 2fa3ec469dbe7d76bc8fcc77e2db2c06.jpg?ito
Korean drama My Love from the Star boosted Xiaomi. Photo: SBS

The failure of tycoon Ricky Wong Wai-kay to get his internet and mobile television station up and running is not stopping Hongkongers from going online to find alternatives to the city's much-maligned broadcasters.

A set-top box made by mainland technology giant Xiaomi is selling fast, despite the fact programmes from Wong's Hong Kong Television Network will not be available any time soon.

Launched in the city in May last year, sales took off with help from the immense popularity of the Korean drama My Love From the Star and mainland music show I am a Singer, both available online before they featured on local television.

The box works on the Android operating system also used on smartphones. Users plug the box into their television, connect to the internet and select the app for iCNTV, which offers content from mainland video websites.

And other - unofficial - options can give users access to a range of content that might cost them hundreds of dollars per month from pay-TV operators.

Alris Technology, the authorised seller of the box in Hong Kong, is getting through 10,000 of the HK$599 boxes per month and will not have any more stock until the end of this month, according to Kelvin Ip Ka-chun, product manager for the box.

"It's similar to watching videos on streaming websites using a computer. But with a Xiaomi box, you can control everything on a remote," Ip explained.

Copyright issues prevent Hong Kong viewers from watching some content - My Love from the Star, for example, is no longer officially available - and Ip says: "Local dramas can't be shown, as well as some movies."

But that isn't the end of the story. Users can have boxes "jail-broken" - meaning certain security restrictions are removed. That allows them to install unapproved and unofficial apps that allow them to view a host of content, such as English Premier League football.

And Anthony Tong Tat-hay, a lawyer and deputy chairman of the Copyright Tribunal, said the only individual likely to risk prosecution was the person unlocking the device.

The providers of the illegal programmes were unlikely to be in Hong Kong, he said. "For home users, they are usually not the targets as it does not involve commercial exploitation" of copyrighted material, Tong said.

Xiaomi would also likely avoid legal liability because it would be hard for any litigant to prove that the devices existed only for the purpose of being "jail-broken".

Still, Xiaomi has faced legal troubles. Late last year, it was reportedly issued with a writ on the mainland by website Youku Tudou for providing its users with dramas to which the website has exclusive rights.

Youku had demanded US$830,000 in damages from Xiaomi and the immediate removal of 10 television shows from its channels, on the grounds that it owned the rights to distribute the programmes on mainland China, Forbes reported.

Youku also wanted Xiaomi to publicly apologise. The status of the legal action is not known.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as Viewers box clever to find alternatives

Hypersonic

Don't expect good service any time soon. With the 3 telcos working hand in hand, there is really no need to have outstanding services.

(edited)

the act of watching online is not illegal

illegal is the streaming site that is not licensed unlike netflix and appletv in the usa

pps, pptv, and many chinese online streaming sites has no license to broadcast content

ie: hk/taiwan/korea drama, movies, etc

hence, consuming illegal/unlicensed content is "you-say-leh"

from Intellectual Property point of view, i agree that is illegal and unethical.

service provider need to pay content provider "license fees"

subsequently these fees translate to producer/company that make movie/drama, pay actor/actress, pay crew, etc

those unlicensed streaming site did not pay license fees. they just pirate the content.

streamout and make a profit. no difference from syndicate that pirate vcd/dvd in the old days.

from a service point of view ST and SH need to improve their service

sooner or later everyone will watch online and local service provider can jiak sai

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

illegal is the streaming site that is not licensed unlike netflix and appletv in the usa

pps, pptv, and many chinese online streaming sites has no license to broadcast content

from Intellectual Property point of view, i agree that is illegal and unethical.

subsequently these fees translate to producer/company that make movie/drama, pay actor/actress, pay crew, etc

those unlicensed streaming site did not pay license fees. they just pirate the content.

streamout and make a profit. no difference from syndicate that pirate vcd/dvd in the old days.

sooner or later everyone will watch online and local service provider can jiak sai

What if these foreign streaming site did pay license fees, and local pay to access (of course, fee is hell lots lower.)

I would like to grab popcorn and see how these 3 telco do.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I just know that this industry is monopoly one. In other countries, its up to u who u want to subscribe or watch. Not they tap on starhub box so what infringement? They the one created the HBO shows ah? They the one film is it?

the different is they pay for the HBO channel and other channel to stream here..

other country also pay for stuff like HBO and many others.

in any case, don't think they can catch android box. how to??? anyway, its up to the channel provider (as in ESPN) to catch them. like how EPL have specialise group to go shut down those P2P server. but doubt that ESPN and the likes have such a large amount of money like BPL.

nothing much they can do.

they already have online service liao.. but pretty disappointing, they didn't set their "best" channel for viewing over mobile.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

They say pls don't support piracy... But when it comes to screwing the consumers Kar chng, all act blur...

Edited by Sabian
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3