Old passport, new problem

Matrix0405

Have old documents signed using an old passport (when passport had the same no. as NRIC). This old passport expired more than 5 yrs old ago and disposed. New passport was issued with new passport number. Problem lai liao. Now unable to show that the old documents are signed by me as unable to produce passport with the old number. Called ICA and was told some other people also have problem but ICA don issue/certify letters to say that the old passport (or that number) belongs to me.

1. Anybody face similar problem and how did you solve?

2. Lesson. Keep your old passport.  

Edited by Matrix0405
↡ Advertisement

Have old documents signed using an old passport (when passport had the same no. as NRIC). This old passport expired more than 5 yrs old ago and disposed. New passport was issued with new passport number. Problem lai liao. Now unable to show that the old documents are signed by me as unable to produce passport with the old number. Called ICA and was told some other people also have problem but ICA don issue/certify letters to say that the old passport (or that number) belongs to me.

Since the old passport number same as NRIC, can you produce your NRIC for verification of document signed ?

• Praise 1

Since the old passport number same as NRIC, can you produce your NRIC for verification of document signed ?

Too many FT or FW around in some offices until their mind set is tune to such that the statement said that require Passport Number. They don't see other supporting documents....... [furious]

In the past, if one doesn't carry a NRIC with you, can produce Driving Licence (with photo) to proof one identity.

Nowadays tak pakai leow. Mati mati must see NRIC. Example in the bank cashier, either NRIC or Passport...   :slow:   

• Praise 1

new passport shows national id number

so together with NRIC....it can match

just my thoughts

• Praise 2

Supercharged

always keep your old passport.  I kept mine. won't have this problem

anyway, what kind of doc that needs your passport ID?  bank? lawyer? emigration?   :ninja:  

always keep your old passport.  I kept mine. won't have this problem

anyway, what kind of doc that needs your passport ID?  bank? lawyer? emigration?   :ninja:  

Aiya, shd have listen to you long ago, then wont have this problem. They are some legal document in Malaysia.  

• Praise 2

How much storage space will passport take up? Always keep, even more important now that PP number will change.

Same for bank passbook. 

Bank statements are the worse shits to manage.

Singapore not the only country that issues a new number for every new passport. Always keep your old passport, for whatever reasons. I think the oldest passport I still keeping, since one from Empress Place.

last time passport number was NRIC number. very simple.

then came his changing number thingy. my guess is its some anti-forgery or security measure.

Turbocharged

Encounter problems in Malaysia ? Easily resolved with the right connections , for a small donation . But sorry i dont know who to approach.

• Praise 2

Yes, anti-forgery and security measure. 

Singapore has always insisted on using NRIC# as PP#, but.... 

IIRC this was tio forced by international agreement to not to use repeated PP#

last time passport number was NRIC number. very simple.

then came his changing number thingy. my guess is its some anti-forgery or security measure.

• Praise 1

Most of the countries are now using biometric passports ... its like become a standard ... some countries don't allow or make it difficult without a biometric passport  

But what I don't like is that some countries that you enter dont stamp your entry or exit date on the passport ; and we are not privy to their systems of course , I still love those good old fashioned stamps on the passport

Of course I know the old passports use NRIC. Before they start issuing new numbers, there could still be other need for old passports. It is a record of your past visas, travel, etc. You may not encounter them. I lived in several countries in the past decades. One country asked me for record of countries travelled in the past 10 years. Another require me to bring my current + past 2 passports to a visa interview.

you are very right here, some countries even ask for the ID numbers of the parents for certain type of long term visas for sponsorship

Edited by BanCoe

You ever travelled to India, they will ask everything to make sure none of your ancestors came from Pakistan.

There are good and bad about stamps. In the 1980s, I went to PRC for the first time. The next year, I went to ROC and they saw the PRC stamp and questioned me for a long time.

You are perfectly correct here; they got long outstanding issue of terrorism with them

Yes even when I went to Taiwan after a trip to China ; they look at me as ask me what I did in Xiamen which is so near to them , even though I came via HK  

• Praise 1