Threat fr Zika Virus - 1st case in SG

Picnic06-Biante15

Don't think they dare to do such drastic action ... they've never been too harsh on construction and developer companies. After all, these guys are racing against time to build the required housing and infrastructure expansion works for the exploding population coming soon. All in the plan already, regardless of our misgivings.

You can see construction of flats - covering almost every possible open space - and road widening activities all over singapore these days. Working at breakneck pace, and even lasting into the night. Several years ago, I've never seen so many construction activities going on late into the evening. But now it's very common.

Bearing all this in mind, they won't go so hard on these companies and possibly delay their plans, or worse, increase costs.

stop work order for construction site is not uncommon, happen all the time when found dengue at the site.

↡ Advertisement

Is the world getting more unliveable, with all the Mers, Zika, Sars, Ebola, etc. adding to the traditional dengue, malaria, TB, etc. diseases? 

Or is it a case of this is just another cycle, but the internet making everyone more aware and therefore worried? (if you don't know, you don't worry...)

It certainly is scary that this can become widespread within the whole community - hopefully it doesn't happen.

• Praise 2

The longest documented case is the zika virus is still found in semen > 6 months after contracting it.

Think it's an italian male.

Wannabe Mrs Pinkerton, please beware.

Other new diseases from Mr Brown.

New diseases found in Singapore

Found on mrs budak's blog:

SARS is not our only worry. The Ministry of Health is now asking the public to be on the lookout for symptoms of the following new contagious diseases -

Assma - Severe rashes around the mouth caused by kissing too much ass, the No. 1 disease in Malaysia. Civil servants are unusually at risk.

Dialarrhoea - Uncontrollable urge to continually dial friends on mobile phone to share with them such important information as "I'm now on the LRT" or "I'm walking towards the car." Victims can be recognised by large, twitching thumb.

Meesles - Blotchy skin condition caused by eating too many packets of instant noodles.

Multiple Spousosis - Affliction whereby victims make frequent trips to Thailand, Indonesia, and China to take on additional brides. Middle-aged men are at significant risk.

Yellow Fever - Compulsion to date Asian females. Very common affliction amongst foreign talent/expatriates working in Malaysia. Also known as Pinkerton's Disease.

Totonus - Flushed complexion, high blood pressure and sometimes depression at finding out one has not touched lottery.

Heavytitis - Excessively large breasts. This disease comes in several variant strains: Heavytitis A, Heavytitis B, Heavytitis C and sometimes Heavytitis DD.

Cybertension - Feelings of stress and panic caused by lack of internet access.

Dyebetes - A compulsive need to colour one's hair. Reddish brown tints are the most common symptom, but health authorities have reported a new strain of blond highlights.

Chicken Tox - Victims exhibit a great need to talk cock. Incurable and highly contagious. Spread by ordinary conversation, and may be exacerbated by good food and alcohol. Politicians and lawyers are especially susceptible. Incurable.

:D

• Praise 4

Is the world getting more unliveable, with all the Mers, Zika, Sars, Ebola, etc. adding to the traditional dengue, malaria, TB, etc. diseases? 

Or is it a case of this is just another cycle, but the internet making everyone more aware and therefore worried? (if you don't know, you don't worry...)

It certainly is scary that this can become widespread within the whole community - hopefully it doesn't happen.

Actually the world is getting safer.

Before we understood germs

and that soap could kill it

many people died needlessly.

zika wont affect us much lah since most pple here dont want children anyway :D

Not me.

Every 6 seconds

I think of helping

to increase the

birth rate.

Bro, you have the Jiko virus.

Confirmed.

Not me.

Every 6 seconds

I think of helping

to increase the

birth rate.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 1

zika wont affect us much lah since most pple here dont want children anyway :D

It will affect Singapore cos our birth rate very low liao ... else govt will chut pattern to import FT ....

So, better pray that mosquitoes die suddenly now ...

It will affect Singapore cos our birth rate very low liao ... else govt will chut pattern to import FT ....

So, better pray that mosquitoes die suddenly now ...

like that say might as well ban condoms :D

Turbocharged

Aljunied? So will MIW take the chance to hammer Aljunied Town Council again?

Edited by Kyrios

When a ministry or minister tried to "contain" a fact of public interest too many times, I will lose trust in them. [thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Our cheng hu culture is they don't like releasing negative news until there's some positive spin in it or there's some kind of "plan or solution" in place (real or made-up is up to reader's interpretation). This is in line with the "avoid causing undue panic" philosophy.

Releasing 40+ confirmed cases of zika much earlier = 100% negative news = undue panic

Delay news until chop stamp confirm nobody died, xxx cases recovered and all the action plan in place = bad news but got positive spin in it = less panic

• Praise 6

All this having been said, I think an independent review of construction projects in Singapore needs to be undertaken. How many times have we had the (subjective, anecdotal) experience of the same stretch of road being torn apart seemingly just weeks apart?

This strikes me as being highly wasteful and disruptive to traffic flow. And there are other less obvious consequences, for example to health (chemical and noise pollution and even diseases like VBDs).

So if any zheng hu lang is out there reading this, please give the public an account of exactly how often construction projects are undertaken and whether there is any central oversight or planning to coordinate these to minimise disruption to others.

On a smaller scale, we also see neighbouring houses doing renovation out of sync - first one begins, takes months to end while everyone's nerves are frazzled - only to have another house getting started almost right on the heels of the first. [rolleyes] I wonder if anything can be done about that, too (BCA permits are required for major renovation to private houses, so this should be police-able too).

I saw a bunch of workers working on all the centre road divider fencing in my neighbourhood. Guess what their project is?

Scrap off the green paint and repaint all the fencing back to green. Yup.

• Praise 1

I saw a bunch of workers working on all the centre road divider fencing in my neighbourhood. Guess what their project is?

Scrap off the green paint and repaint all the fencing back to green. Yup.

it's easier to keep your budget and do things with it.

If a govt department say i needed 1million in 2014, then say i only need 700k in 2015, by the time budget planning for 2016 comes along, u ask for 1mil again, you have to submit 101 proposals and have sibei lot of meetings to justify why u need the extra 200k.

Civil serpent mentality explained to me by my friend  [laugh] So they always find things to do with the money.

If really got a large expense one-off, usually the funding is separate.

• Praise 1

Actually the world is getting safer.

Before we understood germs

and that soap could kill it

many people died needlessly.

The magic word is globalization.

Everything including germs, virus, bugs pow-ka-liao also globalized. 

• Praise 3

Guess the practical thing to do for those planning on having kids.

Test both to confirm clean before piak.

During pregnancy, continue testing.

Use condom during pregnancy in case hubby get infected.

Hubby be monk during pregnancy. . Or self service. . Or wifey give HJ.

If not, wifey give hubby permission to "out source" during pregnancy period...

Edited by Playtime

Does all these gender bias argument really matter when the focus should be eradication of the vectors....

Construction sites have always been the hotbed for mosquito breeding. The NEA should have the legislative power similar to MOM in issuing a stop work order for the construction project if their site has been spot checked to have mosquito breeding.

Only then you will see those construction companies pulling up their socks.

Already being done leh.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nea-publishes-stop-work-order-list

I also hope I am wrong about this.

My own experience with my friends and relatives is that females tend to be bitten more, but that could all be personal bias.

Hopefully, this is just a statistical blip and it is all contained...

Are they sure it isn't that they just whine about it more?

it's easier to keep your budget and do things with it.

If a govt department say i needed 1million in 2014, then say i only need 700k in 2015, by the time budget planning for 2016 comes along, u ask for 1mil again, you have to submit 101 proposals and have sibei lot of meetings to justify why u need the extra 200k.

Civil serpent mentality explained to me by my friend  [laugh] So they always find things to do with the money.

If really got a large expense one-off, usually the funding is separate.

Civil service should be forced to use zero-based budgeting then.

• Praise 1

The magic word is globalization.

Everything including germs, virus, bugs pow-ka-liao also globalized. 

I fear I will lose my job to globalisation.

Someone in a cheaper country will be 

going to meeting, talking nonsense, 

jumping to conclusion, making excuses

and setting unrealistic KPIs.

Its so stressful. Good luck to them.

• Praise 2