Nissan Pulsar

Kia7200

But lancer 10k more lol.

Nissan Note is somewhere in between.

Guess these are the most entry level cars available liao.

In that case, I'll take the Attrage over the Lancer then. Current bad vs 10-yr old bad? No brainier. Haha.
↡ Advertisement

Still wondering why Nissan chose to retain the underwhelming Pulsar name?

Or maybe they realise its still better than their recent Nissan Syphilis or Nissan Tui Na.....?

Pulsar write up in today ST, seems QQ is selling just $4k more so how to sell?

But maybe this is list price so got some discounts??

Whao, nice leh. It says made in Spain. Confirm sales ppl will say "conti feel". Hopefully ppl who book the car don't echo the same words. Most likely built together with their Renault cousins. Sharing the same parts bin.

"Left mounted signal stalk". Siao liao, be prepared for physically challenged drivers not able to find the signal stalk and use it. Maybe this is the "conti feel" ppl talked so much about...left mounted signal stalk.

Seems like the built in Thai Civic is not well liked here. Most probably no "conti feel" to it.

Between QQ and Pulsar which will be popular? I think for Singaporean buyers QQ is the no brainer coz it's "bigger". It looks bigger dan the pulsar knowing it's the same car underneath. Bang for the buck. Just like between the HRV/Vezel and the Jazz. The road is filled with Vezel. So what's the selling point of the Pulsar? Hopefully not just "conti feel".

Edited by Watwheels

Whao, nice leh. It says made in Spain. Confirm sales ppl will say "conti feel". Hopefully ppl who book the car don't echo the same words. Most likely built together with their Renault cousins. Sharing the same parts bin.

"Left mounted signal stalk". Siao liao, be prepared for physically challenged drivers not able to find the signal stalk and use it. Maybe this is the "conti feel" ppl talked so much about...left mounted signal stalk.

Seems like the built in Thai Civic is not well liked here. Most probably no "conti feel" to it.

Between QQ and Pulsar which will be popular? I think for Singaporean buyers QQ is the no brainer coz it's "bigger". It looks bigger dan the pulsar knowing it's the same car underneath. Bang for the buck. Just like between the HRV/Vezel and the Jazz. The road is filled with Vezel. So what's the selling point of the Pulsar? Hopefully not just "conti feel".

I agree with you that the QQ likely more popular than the Pulsar cos your get "more car" and that's why price is the all important factor! I was expecting this Pulsar to be priced between the Note and the QQ but it seems it's quite near the QQ price so might be tough but then again, the options of the Pulsar maybe more, need to check this part out.

As for the left stalk, think it's small matter n just needs getting used to. Pulsar can sell if it's marketed as an above B&B hatch (conti build, good drive, features etc) and priced maybe just above Jap B&B hatches but the Jazz takes some beating and is the benchmark I feel.

• Praise 3

I am very sure the interior space of pulsar is bigger than  qq. Pulsar interior space is equivalent to sylphy (also called pulsar in some markets). Myself driving a sylphy and I have sat in qq very often and it is obviously tighter. Both passenger space as well as boot. Both are good cars. I think here people will still go for qq cos crossovers are the trend now. 

• Praise 2

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/punchy-pulsar

Nissan's long-absent family hatch makes a thrilling comeback

Senior Transport Correspondent

The last time The Straits Times ran a review of the Nissan Pulsar was back in the 1980s. The car was a rudimentary runabout and largely forgettable, which explains its long absence since.

The new Pulsar changes all that. It is a punchy compact, thanks to a 1.2-litre turbo heart first seen in the popular Nissan Qashqai.

And just as the 1.2-litre turbo helped the Qashqai hog the sales chart, it is likely to do the same for the Pulsar.

The test car is exceedingly well equipped, with features you would normally see only in bigger, premium models.

These include lane-departure warning, blind-spot monitoring, collision warning and a parking assistance system with reverse camera as well as a 360-degree "bird's-eye" camera, whose quality is as good as those found in luxury models. It is a boon to those who find parking impossibly difficult.

Its suite of electronic warnings - which are mostly optional - can be useful, but there have been occasions when they beep with no apparent reason.

• SPECS / NISSAN PULSAR
  • Price: From $101, 800 with COE

Engine: 1,197cc 16-valve inline-4 turbocharged

Transmission: Continuously variable transmission with manual override

Power: 115bhp at 5,200rpm

Torque: 165Nm at 1,750rpm

0-100kmh: 11 seconds (estimated)

Top speed: 180kmh (estimated)

Fuel consumption: 5.1 litres/100km

Agent: Tan Chong Motor

Dual-zone climate control, a multi-function steering wheel, keyless access and ignition, and cruise control are some of the other features found in the Pulsar.

What makes the Pulsar peachy is, however, not a gizmo. It is its engine.

The energetic unit endows the ordinary-looking family car with extraordinary driveability. Squeeze its throttle and it takes off like a hot hatch.

It sustains its uncommon verve easily, with nary a complaint from its drivetrain. Before you know it, its digital speedometer is flashing three digits.

The car is made in Spain and targetted at the European audience. Its sportiness sees to that, along with its incredible roadholding, high-speed stability and left-mounted signal stalk.

You would not describe it as willowy, even if the car betrays some body roll without much provocation.

Still, it is actually more fun to drive than Honda's 1.5-litre turbo Civic simply because of its irrepressible engine and well-matched transmission.

The Civic is a bigger car, but the Pulsar, being a five-door, offers plenty of versatility with its split foldable rear seats. Flip them down, push the front passenger seat forward and you will be able to transport a bicycle to your favourite cycling venue. Otherwise, the car seats five reasonably well.

On most fronts, it is a winner - sporty, spacious and suitably equipped (LED headlights and reverse camera are standard fare). At the same time, its small capacity engine translates to low running costs insofar as fuel and road tax are concerned.

This current generation was launched in Europe in 2014 and it was previewed at last year's Singapore Motorshow. Finally, it will be officially launched at the Singapore Motorshow 2017 next week.

It has certainly taken the Pulsar a long time to make a comeback, but what a comeback it will be.

Edited by Dilemma
  • Praise 3

So good. I will order one. :)

Can test drive alr?

I wonder how the writer derive the pulsar drives better than civic turbo

I have tired the QQ and XT... XT pick up really crap.. QQ pickup ok, but once reach 80km/h, it cant chiong further.. Will lose confident in overtaking on Expressway..

So far, civic turbo pick up wow me lor

• Praise 1

Still wondering why Nissan chose to retain the underwhelming Pulsar name?

Or maybe they realise its still better than their recent Nissan Syphilis or Nissan Tui Na.....?

Last time the old Nissan Pulsar hatch sell very well here, that was in the 80s.

Maybe want to reuse the name to reboot high sales numbers again.  [laugh] 

And the biggest disaster of all time - the Alfa Arna based on the Pulsar.

The worst of both worlds....80s Jap styling and Italian mechanicals. LOL

post-1105-0-52990600-1484182737_thumb.jpg

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 1

I prefer not to buy car which is made in Spain, UK or some ang mo country.

or anything related to renault

If that is the case you only have the Civic Turbo (made in Thailand) or the upcoming Suzuki Swift 1.0 Boosterjet. Borneo may bring in Toyota Auris 1.2 turbo (direct competitor to Pulsar with newer 1.2 turbo with Otto/Miller cycle support) and CHR (depends on motorshow announcement if it is the same 1.2 turbo or the Prius hybrid drivetrain).

But maybe soon no turbo as in EU they are realising now for real-world emissions tests turbos don't offer much advantages over a larger NA car (hence Mazda's almost entirely NA lineup and Toyota's few turbo engines).

The Pulsar interior space is best in class though so... hope SEA market ones made in Thailand or import from Japan? Haha.

I prefer not to buy car which is made in Spain, UK or some ang mo country.

or anything related to renault

Like that they should just concentrate on Nissan note mij. I feel nissan add too much features that drive up cost of the car. If they minimise those and concentrate on making the price low, note can rival attrage in terms of sale.

Turbocharged

A lot of people keep using this phrase "conti feel". What does it actually mean?

I poor man so never owned any conti car before but did drive a merz B class for 3 days straight. Don't feel any so called atas conti feel for the same class of car. Maybe my butt feel not very good.

Anyone can enlighten?

↡ Advertisement