Should I change my tires?

teeha

I have been experiencing a loud Wong Wong sound when I'm driving at 60-70. Sound goes away after 70 and will come on at 100-120 and after 120,it will be silent. I don't think it is a bearing issue as my car is not shaking or vibrating. I heard that a bearing sound is more of a grinding sound instead of Wong Wong. I'm riding on michellin ps3 that has done about 30-40k with about 40% threads left. My car will be scrapping in 2017 July so will not want to spend so much on new tires. If I need to change tyres, can you guys advise me a reliable and not too expensive set?
Thanks in advance!

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

Why compromise on safety? Tire is the only element between the road and your car.

Btw, oil price has drop a lot and tire price also came down.

I strongly recommend to change your tire for your own good. Drive safe

I suspect your wheel bearing is also worn out. Please check during changing tire by rotate the wheel. The mechanic can advise

I have been experiencing a loud Wong Wong sound when I'm driving at 60-70. Sound goes away after 70 and will come on at 100-120 and after 120,it will be silent. I don't think it is a bearing issue as my car is not shaking or vibrating. I heard that a bearing sound is more of a grinding sound instead of Wong Wong. I'm riding on michellin ps3 that has done about 30-40k with about 40% threads left. My car will be scrapping in 2017 July so will not want to spend so much on new tires. If I need to change tyres, can you guys advise me a reliable and not too expensive set?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not an expert but I think it's unlikely that the sound is caused by your tyres.

Thanks in advance!

1) wong wong sound is often bearing. Worn bearings won't cause car to shake or vibrate, unless maybe they are very very worn out and irregular shaped.

2) july 2017 is 17mths to go... that's a long time.

best to ask a trusted mechanic to diagnose the sound. It's quite easy to tell if wheel bearings are worn.

• Praise 1

Thanks in advance!

The sound most likely is cause by bearing, please go to your workshop and get your mechanic to check.

1) wong wong sound is often bearing. Worn bearings won't cause car to shake or vibrate, unless maybe they are very very worn out and irregular shaped.

2) july 2017 is 17mths to go... that's a long time.

best to ask a trusted mechanic to diagnose the sound. It's quite easy to tell if wheel bearings are worn.

Alright shall get it checked out

if you want good advice

always provide your car details like car brand / model / capacity etc

tire size also need

last mot important is your Budget [laugh]

should your car has more than 1 year to go is better to invest a good set of tire.

about the noise if after tire changed still there Confirm your bearings gone case

• Praise 1

Advisable to trade-in new Altis Rim and Tyres? 205/55/16 Dunlop Tyres. Dnt knw model cos just booked ride.

Thinking of changing to 17" cos im a Wet Weather person. Will go for good water plating tyres, Current 2004 Altis using Vredestein SPORTRAC 5 195/65/R15 91V which is awesome for wet weather.

Was using Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Super good wet weather tyres but because of the soft polymer for good braking on wet, it is easily sliced off if you happen to hit kerb like me but not so for the Vredestein. Michellin has been famous for wet weather, used it once and the side wall is even thinner. Hit a edge and it just burst. What can i say.

But during my installation of Vredestein at Tyre Queen. I saw that 17" tyres seems to have thicker walls on most of the tyres. Is this so? Then I was also reading lots of good reviews for GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric but they only carry size 17" and above.

That the reason for asking..hehe. Im still noob with tyres, just like read reviews and research for the overall good wet weather tyres as I preferred.

Sorry for the long story. Thanks and hope those with lobang can intro me. Who recently change tyre and rim from new ride, from who and how much u got for the trade in? Thanks again. Can PM me if not convenience. 

Advisable to trade-in new Altis Rim and Tyres? 205/55/16 Dunlop Tyres. Dnt knw model cos just booked ride.

Thinking of changing to 17" cos im a Wet Weather person. Will go for good water plating tyres, Current 2004 Altis using Vredestein SPORTRAC 5 195/65/R15 91V which is awesome for wet weather.

Was using Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. Super good wet weather tyres but because of the soft polymer for good braking on wet, it is easily sliced off if you happen to hit kerb like me but not so for the Vredestein. Michellin has been famous for wet weather, used it once and the side wall is even thinner. Hit a edge and it just burst. What can i say.

But during my installation of Vredestein at Tyre Queen. I saw that 17" tyres seems to have thicker walls on most of the tyres. Is this so? Then I was also reading lots of good reviews for GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric but they only carry size 17" and above.

That the reason for asking..hehe. Im still noob with tyres, just like read reviews and research for the overall good wet weather tyres as I preferred.

Sorry for the long story. Thanks and hope those with lobang can intro me. Who recently change tyre and rim from new ride, from who and how much u got for the trade in? Thanks again. Can PM me if not convenience. 

Tyre Queen??? are they still around? They still owe me some free gifts, but looks like they are gone for good.

How come u seems to be always hitting and knocking here and there? So chiew cheng meh?

Changing 2 sizes up is not good for the car, imo. Excessive strain and ware for other parts as well.

Tyre Queen??? are they still around? They still owe me some free gifts, but looks like they are gone for good.

How come u seems to be always hitting and knocking here and there? So chiew cheng meh?

Changing 2 sizes up is not good for the car, imo. Excessive strain and ware for other parts as well.

Cos i like to follow too close, overtake and speed up and distraction on the road. Hw finally got most of this bad habit gone. Elegance are giving yokohama db E70 205/55/16. Will check spec is made in thai or japan. If not good for wet weather i might do a trade for a good one.

Can i just hijack this thread so as not to create a new topic...

If your car is brand new, tyres stock and brand new, do you guys go straight to change into another one which is better, quieter, lighter etc etc?

Or just wear these tyres down den change wholesale 2 years later?

Seems like it is make in japan but quite low score for water plating which im the most concern.

Should it be Aquaplaning or Hydroplaning, instead of water plating???

If your car is brand new, tyres stock and brand new, do you guys go straight to change into another one which is better, quieter, lighter etc etc?

If you read the earlier posts, I already asked the same Q b4.

Cos i like to follow too close, overtake and speed up and distraction on the road. Hw finally got most of this bad habit gone. Elegance are giving yokohama db E70 205/55/16. Will check spec is made in thai or japan. If not good for wet weather i might do a trade for a good one.

Wat car you driving? So heiong ah!

If see your car, better siam far far...hehehe

Individual preference I think. If your mind is already set to change, it is more worthy to get it done as soon you have collected your new car because the trade-in value of the original rims and tires will be higher.

While some will prefer to wear their new tires down first and change one shot. But the downside is, you get very little trade-in price for the used wheels.

↡ Advertisement