Singapore Island Country Club offers ‘poverty simulation’ pr

Viceroymenthol

http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/singapore-island-country-club-offers-poverty-simulation-programme-members

BY
FRANCIS LAW
[email protected]

PUBLISHED: 8:24 PM, FEBRUARY 4, 2016

UPDATED: 10:50 PM, FEBRUARY 4, 2016

SINGAPORE — At one of Singapore’s most prestigious country clubs, members will have a chance to see life from the perspective of those living on the poverty line, through a workshop conducted by a voluntary welfare organisation (VWO).

Called a poverty simulation exercise, the workshop was advertised in the Singapore Island Country Club’s (SICC) members magazine, and is set to be held next month.

Typically conducted for schools and volunteers, it is the first time Methodist Welfare Services (MWS) is holding the workshop for a country club.

Participants will be called upon to role-play and manage challenging scenarios, like supporting a family and making ends meet on a meagre income while juggling health issues.

An MWS spokesperson, responding to queries, said the programme aims to stir compassion and nudge participants towards doing more for the community. “Based on real-life family profiles, the poverty simulation exercise helps participants to be aware of situations and the consequent hard decisions that people living in poverty have to face every day,” the spokesperson said.

SICC members TODAY spoke to had mixed reactions, calling it a good effort on the part of the club, but pointed out the club could go further and organise more community service activities, for example.

One member, Mr Joseph Ng, 54, the chief executive officer of a company in the energy sector, said he hoped the workshop was not a “stunt” and would serve its purpose. “Hopefully somebody (will be) touched, but I’m not so sure about that,” he said. He suggested that club members spend more time on volunteer work instead. “When you go to the homes you actually see the state they are in, you actually see the situation, the circumstances and the environment that they live in, and how people actually live,” he said.

Another member, Mr Frankie Lim, 65, felt it was “a worthy cause” that could “highlight the concerns of the poor and to create awareness among members of the public”. “It’s good to start off this kind of thing, so maybe other organisations can follow. They might say ‘hey, since SICC is doing it, why not we do it too’,” he said.

Adding that he would consider signing up, Mr Lim said: “For me, I grew up in poverty. We had to give up our bus fares and walk to school just to buy simple luxuries, so I think it will be good to experience what it’s like to be poor now.”

Contacted by TODAY on why it decided to hold the workshop, the SICC would only say: “The club organises various programmes and activities to cater to the wide interest of our members.”

MWS has been conducting the programme since 2011 for its church members, other VWOs, and schools. Participants are given roles, such as a single parent, or a person living alone. They then go through “four weeks” of the person’s life — spending 15 minutes on each “week” during the exercise on various scenarios that crop up, such as getting their children to school, seeking medical attention and keeping up with bills.

For example, they could be “Casey”, a 45-year-old technician working in a small company who has to pay S$200 a week to cover his renovation loan from a bank, while providing for his hearing-impaired wife and two children.

The MWS spokesperson said participants who took part in such workshops generally came away with a better understanding of poverty. “They are able to better understand and empathise with the challenges and frustrations faced by people in need,” he said.
I59uG97.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

I wish SICC can conduct a "rich and elite lifestyle" simulation for the poor and under-privileged. It is quite fitting especially since the SICC members are in the upper echelons of society.

Jesus what a f*cking retarded exercise  :a-fun:

• Praise 14

I hate country club types on general principle. Their blardy old man golf courses take up all the space we could be using for a nice race track. :D

• Praise 4

We conduct in-house poverty simulation exercises in MCF regularly. First, need to get a cigar and fine watch.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 1

I think our ministars are in need of these. 1st lock up their car and make them commute to work by train and bus for one month.

• Praise 9

I hate country club types on general principle. Their blardy old man golf courses take up all the space we could be using for a nice race track. :D

I would propose building an 'integrated resort' on the site ... only snag is ... garmen's definition of 'integrated resort' and my definition of 'integrated resort' differs by a tad bit ...

So its a matter of perspectives I suppose ... [:p]

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

I think our ministars are in need of these. 1st lock up their car and make them commute to work by train and bus for one month.

but I don't want to be in the same bus / cabin with some of these people lei ... [:p]

I am entitled to clean air too ... [laugh]

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

If it is successful, can our Gov also create a poverty simulator to train our scholars and potential minister? This is really disgusting. If really want to understand, nothing beats using your legs and hands to walk the talk. Not simulation. Join the welfare community please

If it is successful, can our Gov also create a poverty simulator to train our scholars and potential minister? This is really disgusting. If really want to understand, nothing beats using your legs and hands to walk the talk. Not simulation. Join the welfare community please

Simulation safer for the elite. If accidentally 'die' of hunger, can respawn and try again.

Err.... will the rich country club members' thinking be like this :

Good exercise !

we have no poor family here, everyone drives , no one is feeling hungry. main problem we all have is which watch to wear today to match the outfit.

Good to let the younger generation experience what older generation have gone through .

• Praise 3

Can't up you yet...

I agree, race track > golf course, coz during races, got RACE QUEENS!!!!!!!!!!

↡ Advertisement