Anyone using IPTV?

Bluepica

Nobody expect zero piracy... it’s more like control so that we don’t get flagged as a pirate haven.

all these blatant selling and installation of pirate software for uncles and aunties is too much. My relative did not ask for the pirate software, he dunno what is streaming and all he wanted was a tv. But he was happy that his tv can download movies.... like bonus function....

↡ Advertisement

Nobody expect zero piracy... it’s more like control so that we don’t get flagged as a pirate haven.

all these blatant selling and installation of pirate software for uncles and aunties is too much. My relative did not ask for the pirate software, he dunno what is streaming and all he wanted was a tv. But he was happy that his tv can download movies.... like bonus function....

kudos to the shop for going extra mile to provide a value added service   [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Content needs funding to be produced. That's why they are being charged. Whether premium or not, depends on the local content providers (e.g. mio or StarHub) as they bid to purchase the content for release in Singapore.

Yes, we can complain that it might be too expensive but then again, we have the choice not to purchase it and live with the FTA content which may not be as engaging or interesting to watch.

At the end of the day, something's gotta give.

Just my humble tuppence.

i watched 30-40 movies in cinema and attend 6-8 concerts/play a year, i respect the original work and pay for their effort.

some time when there are too many movies in the month that i might miss a few, i will stream them online. Example the recent Wonder Woman that my wife and kids watched in cinema without me  <_<  <_<   i still can't find a decent HD quality to stream   [laugh]  [laugh]

sorry... i will never forget.... watch until the most exciting moment in 2012... kenna disrupted... and all i got was a sorry... and abt 2mins of wtf is going on...

wat clampdown? many of my peers and me have been watching it for FREE over the years with ease with a computer...

the box just allowed less tech savvy ppl to access it... i hv been using my netbook with HDMI output to watch movies on demand for years... way before this ''pirated'' boxes...

lucky i that time no more interest in soccer! Even now with Starhub sports channel i wont watch soccer....i rather watch badminton, motogp and wrestling (for entertainment)

I still remember the days of freeviewfootball.com. Going through all the channels to watch a Man U games was rather a beach.....

lucky i that time no more interest in soccer! Even now with Starhub sports channel i wont watch soccer....i rather watch badminton, motogp and wrestling (for entertainment)

I still remember the days of freeviewfootball.com. Going through all the channels to watch a Man U games was rather a beach.....

bro, you Man Utd supporter?! steady la!! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Ya....since 1978 when they beat Liverpool in fa cup semis or quarter! I went to watch them when they played in sg in 99 or 2000. Alex Stephany, Gordon Hill, Steve Coppel were my hero back when i was a young boy!
  • Praise 1

Legal set-top boxes fly off the shelves at Sim Lim Square

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/legal-set-top-boxes-fly-shelves-sim-lim-square

A day after the Coalition Against Piracy — whose members include major entertainment companies — said the devices facilitate “rampant” piracy in Singapore, TODAY visited the mall on Tuesday (Dec 5) and found shops on all six floors selling the set-top boxes.

Unlike earlier iterations that decoded broadcasts and have been forbidden under the Broadcasting Act, the devices make use of apps to access copyrighted content.

Technology has put content pirates ahead of the curve, experts say

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/technology-has-put-content-pirates-ahead-curve-experts-say

Set-top boxes – used to stream movies, television shows or sports programmes – have, in the past, decoded encrypted broadcasts offered by Starhub. The sale and distribution of these decoders are illegal under the Broadcasting Act.

However, in the past three to five years, new technologies have allowed pirates to circumvent the law. The latest iteration makes use of apps to access copyrighted content.

In May 2014, two men were charged under the Broadcasting Act for dealing in illegal set-top boxes. A total of 233 boxes were seized in a police raid, weeks after Singtel expressed displeasure over illegal set-top boxes allowing illegal access to English Premier League broadcasts, which both Singtel and Starhub shared.

However, the set-top boxes nowadays that use apps to stream content do not have decoders and are considered legal.

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) reaffirmed its stance that only such devices with decoding capabilities are illegal.

“Our position has not changed. The devices highlighted in (the 2014 incident) were designed to decode encrypted broadcast signals, allowing users full access to TV programmes without paying subscription fees. In such a scenario, copyright infringement is an issue as the devices were used in a manner that is illegal,” it told TODAY.

i love these android box,

free streaming movies, karaoke, anime  [laugh]

even IPOS says its legal, so i guess can continue to enjoy haha... 

Isn't it funny when these companies can't do anything to protect their own property against piracy and want govt of countries to stop it? Why should they? What do they stand to gain? The govt have to spend money to stop piracy and who's paying them to do it? these companies? Nope.

• Praise 1

Heng my streaming sites are still broadcasting :grin:

i watched 30-40 movies in cinema and attend 6-8 concerts/play a year, i respect the original work and pay for their effort.

some time when there are too many movies in the month that i might miss a few, i will stream them online. Example the recent Wonder Woman that my wife and kids watched in cinema without me <_<<_< i still can't find a decent HD quality to stream [laugh][laugh]

I watch jb one :grin:

my only guess why this 'coalition' is prodding the SG govt with this article, is because they need to set a precedence, and how is it not any easier with a model country that practices legislation to the word and not afraid to mete out the punishments.

But the basis? Simply because these companies are not able to profit from these top boxes. Do we see Netflix complaining? Not yet, but because all these top boxes make Netflix more accessible (cheaper than a netbook) and to enjoy Netflix, you need subscription, so it's win-win for Netflix and the consumers.

Same reason why these 'coalition' members are churning out Netflix-esque apps to get themselves into these devices, my guess is it's not working out well.

The unique case in Singapore is not only about money, but also the fact that our citizens are so well connected to the internet, we have access to content not found in our country, the draw of local providers is simply too low.

I would rather risk and watch GoT or even Spartacus (the TV series) online than to watch it later, heavily censored. It's like buying the Japanese rock melon, but you are only allowed a bite of it.

• Praise 1

haha share which shop did such value added service

Isn't it funny when these companies can't do anything to protect their own property against piracy and want govt of countries to stop it? Why should they? What do they stand to gain? The govt have to spend money to stop piracy and who's paying them to do it? these companies? Nope.

actually the big media companies also stand to gain a lot.

especially for the kids stuff.

What paw patrol, super wings, Dora, Peppa Pig etc etc etc 

Merchandising. Theme parks. 

honestly we Singaporeans are totally not concerned about IP cos we are mostly IP consumers. Not producers. Just like most SEAs and most of asia ex-JP.

agree on this. btw i'm also subscribing to Mio TV, so nothing against cable TV. 

as bro @superbored mentioned, even if there is a clampdown on the devices, we can still stream from our laptops and mobile devices as long as its connected to the net. 

nowadays no country is immune to piracy... the onus is on the company to set up the necessary security systems and firewalls for their online systems. 

and the most efficient way to clamp down on rampant video piracy is...

to BAN THE INTERNET !

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement