2015 BMW X1 sDrive20i

zhehao

Thanks Bro! Both website are accurate and consistent. Bmw.de also states 17.9km/l. s18i returns 17.9km/l and 18d returns 22.2 km/l.

Anyway, I'm not asking about spec figures. I'm asking about real life situations from X1 owners who are having same experience as me. Looks like fuel consumption is overstated.

Mostly city or highway driving? Driving habits? Results can be very different. And like Davidtch mentioned, it should get better as the car is run in.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Besides the badge and better interior finishing (not referring to design), at the price of 190k or so....??????

Ride????

refinement???

performance????

Any way to each his own....

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

It depends on which model (sDrive18i or sDrive20i)you are going for. About 19K diff with one or two additional features, bigger engine and 8 speeds gear box.

sDrive18i is good enough for Singapore road. Ride is fine for me.Smooth engine and gear change. I like the high torque. Overtaking is easy. Need to set speed limiter warning as it reaches speed limit unnoticeably. 

• Praise 2

Any X1 owners keen on upgrading their screen to an 8.8in version?

Got a kaki who can do this, PM me if you interested and I'll link you to him directly, cheers!!

• Praise 8

I traded in my 2 year old 218 AT for this X1 1.8i.  I have done about 600 km on it over the past 3 weeks.  I have had the previous generation X1 (for a few months only) and this latest generation (F48), is loads better - despite being FWD.

On the plus side - this X1 is very spacious, particularly the boot; it easily fits a large golf bag without needing to move the back seats forward.  Interior space is impressive as well.  This model came with lots of options installed - GPS, Park Assist (which I have not tried!), reverse camera, stop-start, and all around sensors. It did not come with the "lane-departure" alert (I don't miss this at all as it was deactivated in my old AT) and I did not want the front/rear camera recorders.

It rides well - like a typical SUV of its size.  Have not driven it to Msia yet, so don't know how it will behave in strong crosswinds in the highways.

On the negative side - somewhat underpowered 1.5L turbo engine (same as in my old AT); which they had retuned it to increase power from the std 136 hp to around 150 hp.  Nevertheless, in SG roads and traffic, it is adequate.  The 6sp gearbox is adequate but somewhat outdated.

Oh the thing I miss on these small beamers - the lack of "auto-hold" for the electronic parking brakes.  Its very useful in our type of traffic.

Meantime, my wife and I are enjoying this X1.

• Praise 2

Update: Jan 16, 2017:

We have used the X1 for just over a month.  Very nice; its very easy on petrol too!

Just like my previous AT (which shares the same drive train), the engine noise/harshness/vibration has started to be be somewhat irritating as it feels more like a diesel engine of years gone-bye.  I guess the 3 cylinder engine configuration is not known to be quiet.  It does run well and is reliable but for those who are not technically inclined, you'd be worried that there's something wrong with the engine.

I also found the suspension (when set to std) to be somewhat soft for a SUV.  Perhaps it suits a lady driver better.

3 weeks into the new car, I encountered an irritating noise from the engine compartment - when turning the steering.  I sent it in to BMW for a check and had to replace something on the front LHS suspension mount. They did a very fast job in tracking down the noise source (usually they are a bitch to identify!) and rectifying it.

Still a big positive for me - the spaciousness of the X1 - both in the cabin and the boot.  Especially for a SUV with its modest external dimensions.

My wish list:

- This SUV is underpowered with 136 hp. Would be great if the 1.5L engine can be retuned (officially) to the 150-160 hp range.

- Auto hold braking is dearly missed - especially driving in the city traffic

- The GPS should be improved.  Apart from the difficulty of use (no touch-screen), the software needs work. I have difficulty using a GPS in SG with postal code search. Google Maps is anytime better.

- The aircon is still inadequate in this SG tropical climate. You have to turn it up high to get enough air and comfortable temperature - then it becomes noisy.

I traded in my 2 year old 218 AT for this X1 1.8i.  I have done about 600 km on it over the past 3 weeks.  I have had the previous generation X1 (for a few months only) and this latest generation (F48), is loads better - despite being FWD.

On the plus side - this X1 is very spacious, particularly the boot; it easily fits a large golf bag without needing to move the back seats forward.  Interior space is impressive as well.  This model came with lots of options installed - GPS, Park Assist (which I have not tried!), reverse camera, stop-start, and all around sensors. It did not come with the "lane-departure" alert (I don't miss this at all as it was deactivated in my old AT) and I did not want the front/rear camera recorders.

It rides well - like a typical SUV of its size.  Have not driven it to Msia yet, so don't know how it will behave in strong crosswinds in the highways.

On the negative side - somewhat underpowered 1.5L turbo engine (same as in my old AT); which they had retuned it to increase power from the std 136 hp to around 150 hp.  Nevertheless, in SG roads and traffic, it is adequate.  The 6sp gearbox is adequate but somewhat outdated.

Oh the thing I miss on these small beamers - the lack of "auto-hold" for the electronic parking brakes.  Its very useful in our type of traffic.

Meantime, my wife and I are enjoying this X1.

• Praise 1

thanks for giving a personal review of your ride!

for GPS, u can try using the BMW remote app to find the address, click on the flag icon and then send to the vehicle. Use the connected drive, open msg and click to guide to location.i personally find this to be faster then keying in addresses using the iDrive. 

for a/c, yes, i find it warm too esp when driving in the afternoons. some bros hv suggested coding to improve the a/c performance. 

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2697767-2016-bmw-2-series-gran-tourer/?p=6029324

• Praise 1

Thanks for your suggestion re GPS.

In SG, I always search a destination by Postal Code - its the fastest and most accurate.  In BMW's GPS, it can't search the whole 6 digits of the postal code.  It can only find only the first 2 digits (I think).  That's not accurate enough.

Re your suggestion to use the BMW remote app to find the postal code, and then send to vehicle.  Its too cumbersome.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Collected my s18i last week - here's a short review. [laugh]

http://imgur.com/a/F8h8h

Background

Before any review, I think it's important to consider the driver's profile first. A driver attuned to sports cars of >300bhp will seek different things compared to parents who want to ferry their kids around, or bosses who want the luxury touch.

I'm just a casual city driver, who was driving a W205 C Class previously, and I just seek a responsive car which can bring me from place to place, with the minimum requirement that it can also accommodate my parents comfortably when I bring them out.

Drive

Coming from a sedan, the higher driving posture has pros and cons. You get to see above more cars when driving and it helps you estimate better when to brake. The height makes it a little more challenging to estimate the turning radius however as the kerb is not within sight.

The "low" bhp, front wheel drive, "challenges" while overtaking are exaggerated, in my opinion. The car feels more responsive than my previous W205, and I honestly can't tell the difference between a FWD and RWD. I suppose these would be more noticeable on a track, which honestly, we're not going to bring an SAV on.

Somehow, driving the BMW is a more intimate experience while driving the Mercedes feels like you're cocooned and slightly distant from the drive.

Interior

I think BMW's interior furnishings for entry level cars are definitely not as luxurious as Mercedes'. While Mercedes makes use of wood trimming, and colour contrasts, BMW's interior is more simple. That said, that "simple" is still made with high quality leather (synthetic I think), so you don't feel like you're buying a bare bones car.

Conclusion

Great car for city driving, spacious and family friendly, I have no regrets trading in a sedan for the X1, even for the lower ranged s18i.

Carwow ranked it the top choice comparing against the GLA and Q3, and having driven all 3, I would agree with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IxKHfj5XI

Edited by un1ver5e
  • Praise 2

Collected my s18i last week - here's a short review. [laugh]

http://imgur.com/a/F8h8h

Background

Before any review, I think it's important to consider the driver's profile first. A driver attuned to sports cars of >300bhp will seek different things compared to parents who want to ferry their kids around, or bosses who want the luxury touch.

I'm just a casual city driver, who was driving a W205 C Class previously, and I just seek a responsive car which can bring me from place to place, with the minimum requirement that it can also accommodate my parents comfortably when I bring them out.

Drive

Coming from a sedan, the higher driving posture has pros and cons. You get to see above more cars when driving and it helps you estimate better when to brake. The height makes it a little more challenging to estimate the turning radius however as the kerb is not within sight.

The "low" bhp, front wheel drive, "challenges" while overtaking are exaggerated, in my opinion. The car feels more responsive than my previous W205, and I honestly can't tell the difference between a FWD and RWD. I suppose these would be more noticeable on a track, which honestly, we're not going to bring an SAV on.

Somehow, driving the BMW is a more intimate experience while driving the Mercedes feels like you're cocooned and slightly distant from the drive.

Interior

I think BMW's interior furnishings for entry level cars are definitely not as luxurious as Mercedes'. While Mercedes makes use of wood trimming, and colour contrasts, BMW's interior is more simple. That said, that "simple" is still made with high quality leather (synthetic I think), so you don't feel like you're buying a bare bones car.

Conclusion

Great car for city driving, spacious and family friendly, I have no regrets trading in a sedan for the X1, even for the lower ranged s18i.

Carwow ranked it the top choice comparing against the GLA and Q3, and having driven all 3, I would agree with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IxKHfj5XI

Your W205, presumably purchased when it was launched back in 2014, probably delivered in 2015 (waiting time was about 6 months or more back then); was barely 2 years old. Why did you change to another car, never mind to a BMW? Any problems to your W205... C180 i assume?

• Praise 1

Your W205, presumably purchased when it was launched back in 2014, probably delivered in 2015 (waiting time was about 6 months or more back then); was barely 2 years old. Why did you change to another car, never mind to a BMW? Any problems to your W205... C180 i assume?

Nope, no major issues bar some tyre juddering and the slight lag when accelerating, it's a Benz after all. We changed the car primarily due to family mobility constraints. The elevated platform makes it easier to get in and out.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I am glad to find some more X1 F48 fans here. Like most of you, I am new X1 owner for less than 6 months. I must say it has been good experience so far. Actually, I have started a WhatsApp Group at BMW.sg 2 months ago and managed to gather 18 members so far. We are going to have our first gathering on 20 May (Sat) for lunch, group buy and fellowship. If you are interested to join us, please send your mobile number to [email protected]. I will add you into the group. Hope to welcoming all of you on board soon. Cheers!

• Praise 1

My X1 1.8 is also close to 6 months now.  It has come along well - meeting my expectations.  Of late, noticed a couple of negatives - some torque steer, and turbo-lag. And the 1.5L engine is still noisy with vibrations!  

My X1 1.8 is also close to 6 months now.  It has come along well - meeting my expectations.  Of late, noticed a couple of negatives - some torque steer, and turbo-lag. And the 1.5L engine is still noisy with vibrations!  

Can you elaborate what u mean by torque steer? This car is FWD?

• Praise 3

My X1 1.8 is also close to 6 months now. It has come along well - meeting my expectations. Of late, noticed a couple of negatives - some torque steer, and turbo-lag. And the 1.5L engine is still noisy with vibrations!

Torque steer cannot be avoided because of FWD. That's why RWD still better.

Neutral Newbie

My X1 1.8 is also close to 6 months now. It has come along well - meeting my expectations. Of late, noticed a couple of negatives - some torque steer, and turbo-lag. And the 1.5L engine is still noisy with vibrations!

Mine is already 8 months. No issues, quiet engine inside cabin,no vibration, no turbo lag.

For torque steer, have you done tyre swap?

Turbo lag could be because of your kar.  ECU will adapt to your driving style.  Kar lag, turbo lag.

If not, try this if you could drive continously for 1 hour.  Pour 100ml of Mobil 1 Racing 2T.  It will clean out soots and carbon buildup.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1