Formula 1 (2016)

Thaiyotakamli

Good start to the new season! Lots of excitement but my heart nearly stopped when Alonso crashed cos it looked real bad but credit to the modern F1 cars which are more resilient.

Seeing the slow mo, it looked horrific!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

That's more like it. It's all about crashes

No it bloody isn't.

Nobody who's ever been on a track (let alone raced themselves) ever wants to see a crash involving another human being.

• Praise 2

I prefer the qualifying format long ago.

1 hour 

12 laps

you decide how to make it work for you.

[:)]

True... those were exciting times. That coupled with refuelling and widely differing tire strategy/suppliers. They dropped the old qualifying to pander to the TV companies... so that instead of the last 5 mins of madcap qualifying by the leaders towards the end... it's all drip fed now.... keeps the viewing public interested for longer.

And the deal with tires was all about reducing costs for the small teams. Now it's what... have to use certain rubbers during the race. So much control over who does what. What's next Bernie... make 22 similar cars and have the drivers duke it out?

F1 should remain the pinnacle of motor racing... all about the driver, the team and the tech.

• Praise 2

True... those were exciting times. That coupled with refuelling and widely differing tire strategy/suppliers. They dropped the old qualifying to pander to the TV companies... so that instead of the last 5 mins of madcap qualifying by the leaders towards the end... it's all drip fed now.... keeps the viewing public interested for longer.

And the deal with tires was all about reducing costs for the small teams. Now it's what... have to use certain rubbers during the race. So much control over who does what. What's next Bernie... make 22 similar cars and have the drivers duke it out?

F1 should remain the pinnacle of motor racing... all about the driver, the team and the tech.

The part I bolded - that actually wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Because let's face it, we tend to support drivers, but it's the car and the team that determine more than 70% of the outcome. So our cheers for drivers become a bit meaningless.

But if they did that, then F1 would become just another spec series, and we have enough of those. We actually had an almost-F1 spec series that was short-lived, remember A1? Yup, didn't work out worth a damn. But the drivers were never really "top tier".

Then again, are F1 drivers really the very best in the world? Hard to tell. So many factors involved, with the large amounts of moolah involved really confounding the analysis. Think of professional boxing vs amateur olympic boxing. Who are really better? The former are the ones getting paid the big bucks, but the latter engage in a purer sport.

I'm in favour of going the other way actually. If they wanted F1 to become the true pinnacle, set *very* loose rules and let the teams design whatever the hell they want to in the cars. Remember, there was a time we had a 6 wheel F1 car (the Tyrell P34)! If a team wants to build in a flux capacitor so they can finish the race before they start it, they should be able to do it! [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

The part I bolded - that actually wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Because let's face it, we tend to support drivers, but it's the car and the team that determine more than 70% of the outcome. So our cheers for drivers become a bit meaningless.

But if they did that, then F1 would become just another spec series, and we have enough of those. We actually had an almost-F1 spec series that was short-lived, remember A1? Yup, didn't work out worth a damn. But the drivers were never really "top tier".

Then again, are F1 drivers really the very best in the world? Hard to tell. So many factors involved, with the large amounts of moolah involved really confounding the analysis. Think of professional boxing vs amateur olympic boxing. Who are really better? The former are the ones getting paid the big bucks, but the latter engage in a purer sport.

I'm in favour of going the other way actually. If they wanted F1 to become the true pinnacle, set *very* loose rules and let the teams design whatever the hell they want to in the cars. Remember, there was a time we had a 6 wheel F1 car (the Tyrell P34)! If a team wants to build in a flux capacitor so they can finish the race before they start it, they should be able to do it! [laugh]

Yep... I remember A1... that was all about countries sponsoring a team and having one of "theirs" driving right?

Yep... I remember A1... that was all about countries sponsoring a team and having one of "theirs" driving right?

Yep. It was styled the "world cup" of motor racing.

The sheikh who owned the series apparently sucked as much at marketing as he did at keeping his enterprise solvent. [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4

oh yes, i love refueling and 2 different tyre suppliers, everybody got their own strategy and sometimes you do not see how the strategies will play out until the last 10 laps. 

I recall also having qualifying set up and race set up. teams will have engines for qualifying purposes and after that overnight change engine for the next day.

those days drivers really can got flat out on qualifying day and also on race day to max out the tyre change / refuelling strategy.

this is F1, cannot be cheaper + faster + better one.

current rules are so ... I dunno what to say ...  <_<

F1 was 10 years ago very interesting but nowadays just boring.

The qualifying just nonsense and most likely already changed after 1 time.

(edited)

ice ice baby .... which one you want?

Vettel blasts 'ice cream' bosses in F1 qualifying chaos

“Put it this way,” he said. “If you sell vanilla ice cream, but everybody who comes to your shop is asking for chocolate ice cream, the next day you open, you expect to sell chocolate ice cream, but instead you just sell vanilla ice cream again.
Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Sigh...dumb race. Vettel out with an engine failure. And what a lousy start by Hamilton.

Boring parade race with Rosberg leading all the way. Kimi getting 2nd was only a small consolation.

Next race, Forza Ferrari!!