Secondary school students to start cleaning classroom

RadX

Reminds me of the old days!  Good that they are bringing it back!

Daily cleaning by students will be introduced in all schools

The move is intended to inculcate in students a sense of responsibility and good life habits, says MOE.

By Linette Lim

Posted 25 Feb 2016 13:25

Updated 25 Feb 2016 13:42

cleaning-time.jpgPrimary one students at Xingnan Primary School doing a classroom activity called the "Little Home Helper" programme. (Photo: Linette Lim)

SINGAPORE: Annual spring cleaning for the classroom or being rostered for weekly cleaning duty might be familiar to some, but now, the Ministry of Education (MOE) wants to make classroom cleaning a daily affair for students.

By the end of 2016, daily cleaning by students will be introduced in all schools, said Acting Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng on Thursday (Feb 25).

According to MOE, all schools from primary schools to junior colleges have autonomy in the implementation of daily cleaning. This covers common areas such as classrooms and corridors, and excludes toilets.

ng-chee-meng-cleaning-data.jpg

This is being introduced with the aim of inculcating in students a sense of responsibility and good life habits.

Acting Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng (right) with students from Xingnan Primary School. (Photo: Linette Lim)

MOE said that many schools have already incorporated five to 10 minutes of cleaning activities within their school hours each day. These schools include Xingnan Primary School, Park View Primary School, and New Town Secondary School. 

The ministry said they looked at similar practices in other education systems - such as Taiwan and Japan - in the planning process. 

- CNA/av

i wun be surprised some will bring their maids to clean for them...hahhha

leticia%2Bbongnino.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

y is this a new thing?

i dunch noe.....apparently parents complained.

Our time, it was rostered......

• Praise 4

I recalled going to class earlier for 10 min to clean up on certain days in my primary school in the mid 80s. THere was a duty roster but we merely swept the floor, cleaned the blackboard and made sure there were new chalks to replace those short chalks.  There was no hoo ha or newspaper report about it back then. So what is the issue now?

• Praise 1

I recalled going to class earlier for 10 min to clean up on certain days in my primary school in the mid 80s. THere was a duty roster but we merely swept the floor, cleaned the blackboard and made sure there were new chalks to replace those short chalks.  There was no hoo ha or newspaper report about it back then. So what is the issue now?

your guess as good as mine.....wsa it abolished since then?

your guess as good as mine.....wsa it abolished since then?

MOE stopped :a-noway: students "cleaning" due to the facts that you asked your "blue eye boys" :wub:  to clean your [drivingcar]  reg.no.292 Mazda CX7    :a-no:

• Praise 2

i dunch noe.....apparently parents complained.

Our time, it was rostered......

Ya. Rostered for the cleaning...

why must do cleaning? no time to study liao still do these work that belongs to maid and cleaner?

So you must be the one complaint must ask maid to clean instead of the students.... hehehe..

• Praise 1

only for peasant public schools lah

independent atas schools probably don't care about this directive from MOE

can i be employed to be the RSM of a school?  everyday standby classroom, parade square and canteen...also staff room must be also cleaned by teachers

:D  

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 1

Title says Secondary school..

during my secondary school, teacher tasked my class to clean windows and sweep the floor, 1 notch up from primary school. it was rostered. 

do i find the cleaning beneficial and character building? well we did find out who helped to do housework at home and who were lazy. i think moral education would be more meaningful. 

during my secondary school, teacher tasked my class to clean windows and sweep the floor, 1 notch up from primary school. it was rostered. 

do i find the cleaning beneficial and character building? well we did find out who helped to do housework at home and who were lazy. i think moral education would be more meaningful. 

actually anything other than just study is good, the home econ class is the best, even boy can learn how to cook and saw.

good initiative! like the good old days 

trust an ex-SAF guy to implement such things. machiam like area cleaning.  next time, maybe implement 5BX too

Edited by Jamesgetz

good initiative! like the good old days 

trust an ex-SAF guy to implement such things. machiam like area cleaning.  next time, maybe implement 5BX too

Brain washing exercise... get all to "respect" authority.. what best than to start them young? 

Youth nowadays are rebellious , so a threat to the status quo.. so start on the younger ones and get them to toe the party line...

what else ? 

Outsourcing school operations has been going on since 80s, and trumpeted ever so often... so why the u-turn now? 

BTW, X-files coming back to TV...  [bounce2]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3