New Cruze 1.4T

Underpaidsamurai

valian,

can you share your experience with the drive after ecu flash - i assume you did it.

FC, power, any wear parts related to potential higher power?

If anyone if having issues with Cruze's gear changing, I can confirm that Trifecta really does help on gear change speeds.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

valian,

can you share your experience with the drive after ecu flash - i assume you did it.

FC, power, any wear parts related to potential higher power?

Yea i did.

If you did read on their website, you'll know that they have the stock / sport mode switchable using your cruise control. The previous tune on sport tune was very erratic, boost was a hit and miss issue. Jan this year they pushed out another update and sport mode is now very linear. Definitely much more power than stock, car accelerates much much faster.

FC wise, no change from stock.

Wear and tear still monitoring, but I do go for an earlier oil change cycle, 7500km instead of 10000km.

I ordered the Cruze Turbo over the weekend too. I'm coming from a 2013 Cruze 1.6 (facelifted) model. 

There are a few reasons why I think it is a good buy compared to the other 2 cars I shortlisted (Mazda 3 and Nissan Qashqai).

- Lower price among the 3 models.

- Quietest cabin among the 3 models I tested.

- Good driving feel, though the best has to go to Mazda 3. Cruze is only let down by the electric power steering.

- Great service experience from Alpine Motors. Easy to get appointment and price is comparable to other Authorised Dealers.

- Tons of options for customisation. (Bought accessories from Aliexpress to dress up the car a bit.)

I don't really bother if the turbo engine is an older technology. It feels responsive enough to overtake at any situation. In fact, the difference is HUGE compared to my existing 1.6 Cruze. The only reason why one would still get a 1.6l Cruze is the price.

The 2016 brand new model launched in US would probably find its way here by next year. I suspect this current batch of Cruze we have here are the final version before the major model change. At least our facelift version here has a new set of tail lights, unlike the US version which still retains the same tail lights as before.

I ordered the Cruze Turbo over the weekend too. I'm coming from a 2013 Cruze 1.6 (facelifted) model. 

There are a few reasons why I think it is a good buy compared to the other 2 cars I shortlisted (Mazda 3 and Nissan Qashqai).

- Good driving feel, though the best has to go to Mazda 3. Cruze is only let down by the electric power steering.

- Great service experience from Alpine Motors. Easy to get appointment and price is comparable to other Authorised Dealers.

- Tons of options for customisation. (Bought accessories from Aliexpress to dress up the car a bit.)

I don't really bother if the turbo engine is an older technology. It feels responsive enough to overtake at any situation. In fact, the difference is HUGE compared to my existing 1.6 Cruze. The only reason why one would still get a 1.6l Cruze is the price.

The 2016 brand new model launched in US would probably find its way here by next year. I suspect this current batch of Cruze we have here are the final version before the major model change. At least our facelift version here has a new set of tail lights, unlike the US version which still retains the same tail lights as before.

The lower end 1.6 Cruze cannot make it la... very slow and felt like one forgot to release the parking brake before driving off

The 1.4T Ecotec is much easier to tune and after market support is better too.

Our FL Cruze DRL is mounted inside the headlight assembly, not along the foglamp surrounds.

it's a facelift of the old car. But it might be using the latest version of the EcoTec engine family.

The Chevrolet NavTrak software is based on Galactio though, if I'm not wrong. It looks suspiciously similar to the one used by Marbella GPSes.

The front face is almost the same but with DRLs but the tail lights are new.

Yes bro, Alpines uses Galactio GPS... including my Malibu one as well.

By right, Galactio maps and features should champion above all other GPS brands for the maps they offered are obtained from Singapore Land Authority. It cannot get any more accurate that that liao. Even Google Maps may not be able to match it.

But I've some issues with the Galactio vendor. First, our Galactio unit fully support TMC, which means it can draw LIVE traffic data from MapSYNQ and superimposed on the map itself. It will be really useful during rush hours when we can see where the troublespots are and the GPS will suggest other less jammy roads on the fly.

Unfortunately, none of our Chevys, not even my Malibu came with the TMC module/reciever... You can keep clicking on the screen to activate TMC and the systems behaved like its working... but nothing happens after that. [furious]  :pissed-off:

I've emailed to Galactio vendor contact Ivan several times about it but my qns are left unanswered. I also asked how we customers can update the GPS maps (including Malaysia and Thailand maps) ourselves... but the reply was that we need to go back to Alpine to do.... :a-confused:  :slow:

Why cant we DIY the update the maps ourselves?

Turbocharged

On my Marbella GPS, it seems to ignore TMC and traffic concerns. It's led me more than once into a traffic jam simply because it prefers expressways above everything else.

Google Maps are usually traffic aware to some extent and are quite up-to-date. The main disadvantage I see with Google Maps is that they don't warn about cameras or other fixtures.

Disregarding the fact that some of the Chervelot models we get here are engineered in the states, all the export models to Singaporeare still manufactured in south Korea if that's a cause of concern for you.

Disregarding the fact that some of the Chervelot models we get here are engineered in the states, all the export models to Singaporeare still manufactured in south Korea if that's a cause of concern for you.

in a plant used to be called daewoo.

in a plant used to be called daewoo.

Hey still believe made in Korea = no good these days? What phone are u holding onto right now? What TV, aircon, fridge and washing machinese are u using ? hahaha

Hyundai group won't be so successful if the world still hold on to such belief

GM Korea doesnt just build our Chevys hor, they also CKD the Impala and Buick LaCrosse, both excellent GM offerings directly from the USA. Only the Camaro and Corvette are fully imported from the USA

www.chevrolet.co.kr

Hey still believe made in Korea = no good these days? What phone are u holding onto right now? What TV, aircon, fridge and washing machinese are u using ? hahaha

Hyundai group won't be so successful if the world still hold on to such belief

GM Korea doesnt just build our Chevys hor, they also CKD the Impala and Buick LaCrosse, both excellent GM offerings directly from the USA. Only the Camaro and Corvette are fully imported from the USA

www.chevrolet.co.kr

its a daewoo plant that i mentioned, nothing on whether good or not.

no need so sensitive, relac bro.

its a daewoo plant that i mentioned, nothing on whether good or not.

no need so sensitive, relac bro.

No offence taken bro. I am just saying. :)

GM Korea is doing mostly CKD jobs these days. They don't do much R&D for the current lineup of cars they sell are mostly US market models 

CKDs are ok la, just re asemble the cars back together. If bolehland can do it, I don't see why the Koreans cant

My Malibu had so many USA and Canadian made parts inside till now I have yet to spot a Korean made part inside... other than the first aid kit... yes GM provide a first aid kit in the car

Even the 18" Bridgestones were made in Poland. 

GM Korea is doing mostly CKD jobs these days. They don't do much R&D for the current lineup of cars they sell are mostly US market models

CKDs are ok la, just re asemble the cars back together. If bolehland can do it, I don't see why the Koreans cant

My Malibu had so many USA and Canadian made parts inside till now I have yet to spot a Korean made part inside... other than the first aid kit... yes GM provide a first aid kit in the car

If your Malibu comes with the 2.0L T that was used in 93 or 95NB, it would be terrific.

If your Malibu comes with the 2.0L T that was used in 93 or 95NB, it would be terrific.

website super lag!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahhahaha

Has anyone encountered a steering alignment and centering problem with their new Cruze? Mine keeps drifting to the left, even after alignment during the first 1k service. Steering wheel is also not centered and it is becoming quite annoying.

Neutral Newbie

Bro, congrats.

how did you deal with your cruze 1.6? sold in the market? actually wanna know if can trade in. 

Neutral Newbie

having the similar prob with my 2011 cruze, tot is my wrong feeling, actually is quite minor lah, not serious, but as always thinking that, become annoying also.

except for this, how is your experience about your new cruze? 

Has anyone encountered a steering alignment and centering problem with their new Cruze? Mine keeps drifting to the left, even after alignment during the first 1k service. Steering wheel is also not centered and it is becoming quite annoying.

Our roads are generally built to have a slight slight to the left to allow easy drainage of rain water... No amount of alighment will help.. IMHO if u let go on the wheel and the car can travel straight for ard 3 to 4 lamposts, its considered correctly aligned liao.

Also, sometimes uneven tire wear, under inflation can feel like the steering wheel is misaligned too. Please check that...

If your wheel is really off centered, pls go back to Alpine and have them adj again. They should have centered the wheel and then locked it with a long metal rod like thingy before doing the adj

Ermm... Does Alpine have a a full fledged alignment machine in the first place? I know many AD actually dont have that machine and they used simple side slip machine for alignment work instead. BM for one... You cannot get a proper alignment with such rudimentary tool

having the similar prob with my 2011 cruze, tot is my wrong feeling, actually is quite minor lah, not serious, but as always thinking that, become annoying also.

except for this, how is your experience about your new cruze? 

The steering centering becomes very annoying for me as I am quite fussy about the wheel being properly centered. It is not too serious and I am considering whether I should live with the problem till the next servicing (6 months more) or just drive down to the service centre and settle it.

Honestly, the new Cruze is very much the same as my previous 2013 Cruze, except for a few places where i suspect cost-cutting is in place. For one, my seat cushions are thinner than before and the rear seats give our squeaky sounds when moving over humps. Also, the silver trimmings seems a bit more dull than my previous Cruze (might improve over time if I continue to coat it with Armor All).

Oh, I must also mention that the Cruze turbo uses electric power steering instead of hydraulic. It is slightly lighter than the other versions, but still feels good for an electric power steering rack.

Engine department is the one that is really what urged me to change. The turbo is so much more responsive than the 1.6l version. Low-end torque is impressive and I hardly have to push the engine beyond 3000rpm.

The steering centering becomes very annoying for me as I am quite fussy about the wheel being properly centered. It is not too serious and I am considering whether I should live with the problem till the next servicing (6 months more) or just drive down to the service centre and settle it.

Honestly, the new Cruze is very much the same as my previous 2013 Cruze, except for a few places where i suspect cost-cutting is in place. For one, my seat cushions are thinner than before and the rear seats give our squeaky sounds when moving over humps. Also, the silver trimmings seems a bit more dull than my previous Cruze (might improve over time if I continue to coat it with Armor All).

Oh, I must also mention that the Cruze turbo uses electric power steering instead of hydraulic. It is slightly lighter than the other versions, but still feels good for an electric power steering rack.

Engine department is the one that is really what urged me to change. The turbo is so much more responsive than the 1.6l version. Low-end torque is impressive and I hardly have to push the engine beyond 3000rpm.

If you turn to the dark side, you can unleash the power of 1.4T. No need external mod to look fast and fierce. Be a sleeper car. The mid power is excellent for sport mode. A gentle tap on accelerator from 90km/h will bring you to 120km/h. Good for NSHW cruise. BTW, Cruze gearbox is better than VW since it more durable and reliable. Cost of repair for 6-speed auto gearbox is much lower than DSG. Touch wood. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement