CLA Shooting Brake

Mazdarati

Search the entire forum and it seems like there is no discussion on CLA Shooting brake........any feedback (be it + or -) on this particular model?

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged
(edited)

No wonder Germans birthrate declining like mad. Shoot brake shoot brake..

Radx right?

Edited by BenTong

Turbocharged

Search the entire forum and it seems like there is no discussion on CLA Shooting brake........any feedback (be it + or -) on this particular model?

There was some discussion on the SB in some other threads like C-Class thread and one where someone was deciding between Jag XE and 3-series and CLA SB. I myself closely considered this car, specifically CLA200SB.

Long story short, the SB is a slightly more refined version of the MFA-based CLA. It shares all the same faults such as lousy (for a Merc) ride, poor headroom (slightly better for rear passengers than regular CLA, of course), better practicality with estate body and much better boot capacity. However, the roofline design is very similar to the regular CLA (and A-Class), meaning the rear windowline swoops down in a ridiculously ugly fashion (my opinion of course) that both reduces rear quarter visibility and makes the D-pillars extremely fat.

Interior visibility is still very poor especially for the back window. Equipment levels on the Shooting Brake are also better at least in SG, with stuff like panoramic roof (optional) and reverse camera. However the best stuff such as the bi-xenon Intelligent Light System are still missing... at this price bracket, still only get regular static bi-xenon, no BLIS, etc. However, you get all-around sensors for auto-park assist and COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (yes it's really all-caps. This is their automatic collision warning and auto-braking tech) which are great additions.

I stand by my statement that CLA180 is not worth the money, should go for the better powered CLA200, as it is much more tractable and also actually claims better efficiency.

Overall if you are looking for a compact estate with major brand and styling credentials, CLA-SB is no doubt one of the main options, but if objectively looking for latest tech or an accomplished car, there are many, many better options available for this very steep price.

• Praise 1

(edited)

There was some discussion on the SB in some other threads like C-Class thread and one where someone was deciding between Jag XE and 3-series and CLA SB. I myself closely considered this car, specifically CLA200SB.

Long story short, the SB is a slightly more refined version of the MFA-based CLA. It shares all the same faults such as lousy (for a Merc) ride, poor headroom (slightly better for rear passengers than regular CLA, of course), better practicality with estate body and much better boot capacity. However, the roofline design is very similar to the regular CLA (and A-Class), meaning the rear windowline swoops down in a ridiculously ugly fashion (my opinion of course) that both reduces rear quarter visibility and makes the D-pillars extremely fat.

Interior visibility is still very poor especially for the back window. Equipment levels on the Shooting Brake are also better at least in SG, with stuff like panoramic roof (optional) and reverse camera. However the best stuff such as the bi-xenon Intelligent Light System are still missing... at this price bracket, still only get regular static bi-xenon, no BLIS, etc. However, you get all-around sensors for auto-park assist and COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (yes it's really all-caps. This is their automatic collision warning and auto-braking tech) which are great additions.

I stand by my statement that CLA180 is not worth the money, should go for the better powered CLA200, as it is much more tractable and also actually claims better efficiency.

Overall if you are looking for a compact estate with major brand and styling credentials, CLA-SB is no doubt one of the main options, but if objectively looking for latest tech or an accomplished car, there are many, many better options available for this very steep price.

Thks for your input......totally agreed with tech part where even most Jap model will see better tech options. The pull factor will be the uniqueness as this model is sort of 'rare' on the road (as of today)...

Seems like SB price tag is not worth paying for......

Edited by Mazdarati

Turbocharged

Radx right?

The term "Shooting Brake" was originally used to refer to specialized carriages used for hunting expeditions, where they carried the participants and their shooting equipment, hence, "shooting brake".

The modern term has been adapted for use (mainly by the germans) to refer to "sporty, coupe-like estate cars that offer sleek lines and practicality of wagons".

A better example of the Shooting Brake body design ethos, imho, is the Citroen DS5, that is truly beautiful with an amazingly long looking wagon body thanks to its low roofline. CLA-SB just seems like a regular CLA with the roof extended clumsily. Look at the rear quarter window and you see what I mean.

I don't think the Shooting Brake looks very nice, be it the CLA or CLS variant.

The saloon versions of both cars look much better.

If I want a stationwagon in this class, I'd get the Audi A4 / A6 Avant versions. BMW one also ok.

If want slightly more budget ones, I'd get the Volvo V60. 

Radx right?

Lol...
  • Praise 1

I actually think the Shooting Brake is more well-proportioned than the coupe... and having sat in a coupe, I know the back seat headroom really cmi. I'm only 172cm and I had to bend forward. The Shooting Brake will do better in this aspect.

• Praise 1

Mercedes has unveiled the facelifted CLA and CLA Shooting Brake.

Looking instantly recognizable, the models feature new bumpers, a revised diamond grille, and restyled 18-inch alloy wheels. The cars have also been equipped with flush-mounted tailpipes and a revised color palette that now includes Cavansite Blue Metallic (Lunar Blue in the United States). Last but not least, there are several new options including LED High Performance headlights that have a color temperature which is closer to daylight than traditional xenon headlights.

The interior receives a minor refreshing as designers added updated upholstery and a slimmer infotainment system with an 8-inch display. Drivers will also discover additional chrome trim, a revised instrument cluster, and new trim options such as matte black ash wood and aluminum with a honeycomb grain.

In Europe, a variety of different engines will be available including a 1.5-liter four-cylinder diesel with 109 horsepower and a 2.1-liter four-cylinder diesel with outputs of 136 hp and 177 hp. Petrol choices include a 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine with outputs of 122 hp and 156 hp as well as a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that cranks out 184 hp, 211 hp, 218 hp, and 381 hp.

American consumers will only have two engine options. The entry-level CLA 250 has a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 208 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque, while the Mercedes-AMG CLA 45 boasts an upgraded 2.0-liter four-cylinder with 375 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque. This enables the latter model to accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in 4.1 seconds before hitting a limited top speed of 155 mph.

The Mercedes CLA will be unveiled the New York Auto Show later this month, while the CLA Shooting Brake will debut at the Laureus World Sports Awards in Berlin this April. The models will begin arriving at German dealerships in July, while a US launch is planned for the third quarter of 2016.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4