HDB Bathroom floor leaks into neighbour's ceiling

Albeniz

Turbocharged

How expensive can it be?

HDB can build 50 story flats there or auction off to build condo. Won't lose money la.

You didn't read hdb's yearly report card of 'losing' few billions?.. Ummm....

↡ Advertisement

Siglap Flats - Maybe they are really very very old - 50 years ++ and maybe got maintainence problems and govt will use that maybe as excuse and re-house them elsewhere with maybe a bonus room and later make big $$$ because its so prime area

recently wen to see the siglap flats b4 got demolished. My PAP kindergarten was there.
  • Praise 2

Har har! SG50 but HDB70? Must be typo.

Read the rest of the thread LA. Too lazy to explain to you again.

You didn't read hdb's yearly report card of 'losing' few billions?.. Ummm....

Should also publish ura report card cuz that'd where the missing billions are.

• Praise 1

No need to wait right? Should be under conservation status.

https://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/conservation/conservation-xml.aspx?id=TNBHR1

Unless we are not talking about the same units

Those conserved are mainly those that have been privatized (no longer under hdb).

They are even older than 68 years (pre war)! They're also selling for more than 1 mil for a 3 or 4 room. Supposedly you are allowed to run a business from that kinda apartment so many have turned into cafes.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

i think the cost will be like 300$ plus, and can be paid by CPF..  haha

I did that for my old flat..and had the contractor apply slip proof coating on the floor, together, they will also change the toilet bowl and the wash basin as well as, that can't be replaced with your current one.

• Praise 2

recently wen to see the siglap flats b4 got demolished. My PAP kindergarten was there.

Actually those siglap flats not more than 50 year old also, although these flats seems like very old style.

• Praise 2

hi TS,

I just file a similar report to HDB regarding leaking ceiling...

The hdb officer just came for inspection and verified the leak and proceed to inspect my upstair neighbour..

just received the letter for authorisation...

This is how the letter read.. item 3..

HDB will assist to carried out the repairs and also co-pay 50% of the repair costs on a goodwill basis. The upper floor and lower floor lesses will co-pay the balance 50% of the repair costs. Hence, you will only need to pay 25% of the repair costs, which is estimated to be $300. This goodwill repair assistance (GRA) measure is subject to T&C as attached in annex A.............. 

if u r on the upper floor, HDB officer told me, they will ask u go select tile n the authorized contractor will do the waterproofing for u... 

also choose toilet bowl n basin... 

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Those conserved are mainly those that have been privatized (no longer under hdb).

They are even older than 68 years (pre war)! They're also selling for more than 1 mil for a 3 or 4 room. Supposedly you are allowed to run a business from that kinda apartment so many have turned into cafes.

Those flats here at least more than 70 yrs old. Remember in d paper, it was reported tat one of d block is even a bomb shelter which they preserved n conducted tour on it. Haha, one of d row of blocks even sold n converted to H81.

• Praise 1

after complaining to HDB a few times for the pass 1 year, upstairs neighbour done chemical injection to their flooring a few months back... I'm not sure whether still got leaking or not because it's not those obvious leaking.

Now I am doing some minor reno. Asking the ID to fix the bathroom ceiling. How do i know whether the painter got paint a layer of sealant on the ceiling or not? The painter can be lazy by just painting over a layer of normal paint.... he painted yesterday, today I saw yellow patches , does that means upstairs still seeping little water or the painter didn't paint sealant over?

• Praise 1

after complaining to HDB a few times for the pass 1 year, upstairs neighbour done chemical injection to their flooring a few months back... I'm not sure whether still got leaking or not because it's not those obvious leaking.

Now I am doing some minor reno. Asking the ID to fix the bathroom ceiling. How do i know whether the painter got paint a layer of sealant on the ceiling or not? The painter can be lazy by just painting over a layer of normal paint.... he painted yesterday, today I saw yellow patches , does that means upstairs still seeping little water or the painter didn't paint sealant over?

Ceiling is damp at certain area n painting over it has mixed the moisture to turn yellow after dry.

Anyway upper treatment has to do the floor rather liquid flow not proven for long term.

• Praise 1

Ceiling is damp at certain area n painting over it has mixed the moisture to turn yellow after dry.

Anyway upper treatment has to do the floor rather liquid flow not proven for long term.

I didn't see any damp or feel... just that some yellow stain ring left behind before upstair repair.... ID also cannot advice me, keep saying if upstair got problem, there's nothing we can do, but he also cannot tell me got leak or not.... just that the paint over still create yellow stain on the new paint...

It has happened to me before. The chemical injection is deemed an easy solution. Sometimes work , sometimes doesn't. It didn't work for us and the upstairs neighbour had to go through the full retiling and waterproofing. 

We also did the sealant painting. Doesn't help.

Need to fix the problem at source. Took us about 2 years to finally resolve the problem.

So please monitor it . From your description, it definitely sound familiar.

Good luck to you.

• Praise 1

It has happened to me before. The chemical injection is deemed an easy solution. Sometimes work , sometimes doesn't. It didn't work for us and the upstairs neighbour had to go through the full retiling and waterproofing.

Need to fix the problem at source. Took us about 2 years to finally resolve the problem.

Good luck to you.

HDB officer came 3 times over 2 yrs, each times saying same thing... It's not obvious leaking like waterfall that need repair... Little water seepage over the time sure have one la.... Everytime asked me just paint over it... I said after painting then turn yellow again isn't it wasting my money? Final round he came and inform me upstairs already done chemical injection so I can paint over it.... That was almost 6 months ago I didn't do anything till now.

HDB officer came 3 times over 2 yrs, each times saying same thing... It's not obvious leaking like waterfall that need repair... Little water seepage over the time sure have one la.... Everytime asked me just paint over it... I said after painting then turn yellow again isn't it wasting my money? Final round he came and inform me upstairs already done chemical injection so I can paint over it.... That was almost 6 months ago I didn't do anything till now.

My parents place leaked to lower floor.

So HDB came up said there was leakage.

Offered to redo flooring, waterproofing and change new water-cistern.

HDB subsidise 60%, my parents and neighbour pay 20% each.

Everything settled nicely everyone happy.

All settled within a month. The flooring and installation only one day work.

• Praise 2

Good luck to you.

You only do chemical injection to retaining wall or underground floor because you have no access to the other side. It is just a matter of when the leak will appear in another weaker spot. With the slab damp, you will also have spalling problems.

• Praise 1