HDB Bathroom floor leaks into neighbour's ceiling

Albeniz

I never like the idea of water on the bathroom floor.

I think everyone should use shower trays.

:D

Why would your shower floor ponding with water? And why is a there a different between a tray and the actual floor?

Many people somehow screed the shower floor such that there will.be water ponding after the shower. You are not baking a cake that requires you to have a level floor. Make sure it is screeded with a good gradient.

A shower tray will gives you mlre problem if water is trapped between the tray and the floor. The simpler the design the better. In fact if there is no water stagnant on the floor. Even without waterproofing, it will not leak.

↡ Advertisement

Why would your shower floor ponding with water? And why is a there a different between a tray and the actual floor?

Many people somehow screed the shower floor such that there will.be water ponding after the shower. You are not baking a cake that requires you to have a level floor. Make sure it is screeded with a good gradient.

A shower tray will gives you mlre problem if water is trapped between the tray and the floor. The simpler the design the better. In fact if there is no water stagnant on the floor. Even without waterproofing, it will not leak.

The shower tray works in exactly the same way as a bath tub.

Do people with bath tubs have problems with water trapped between the tub and the floor?

Edited by Jamesc

The shower tray works in exactly the same way as a bath tub.

Do people with bath tubs have problems with water trapped between the tub and the floor?

They do when it leaks. Hahaha

You only do chemical injection to retaining wall or underground floor because you have no access to the other side. It is just a matter of when the leak will appear in another weaker spot. With the slab damp, you will also have spalling problems.

contractor come over to scrap off the old plaster on the toilet and bathroom ceiling, and reapply a new layer, quite thick in the morning.... I went to see after work, the yellow patch reappered on the new plaster layer..... think now I have a case to bring up to HDB again.... but then the officer will say little seepage sure have, the situation is not as bad like you see water really coming down, so no need upstair to re-do their whole floor...... :yuush:

contractor come over to scrap off the old plaster on the toilet and bathroom ceiling, and reapply a new layer, quite thick in the morning.... I went to see after work, the yellow patch reappered on the new plaster layer..... think now I have a case to bring up to HDB again.... but then the officer will say little seepage sure have, the situation is not as bad like you see water really coming down, so no need upstair to re-do their whole floor...... :yuush:

Did HDB advise the neighbour upstairs to change water cistern and floor trap?

These are like cause of seepages other than waterproofing issues.

Only when waterproofing redo, floor trap and water cistern redo, then it's considered totally waterproof again.

Thereafter allow the moisture in the ceiling to dissipate before getting contractor to re-plaster.

The HDB officer/contractor should recommend the waiting period for the dissipation of moisture in the bag

• Praise 1

Scrap the old plaster and reapply a new layer is like a lady adding powder to her face when she didn't have a right foundation done. Once she walks out and starts to sweat, the powder she applied will starts to melt down. :D

I just don't understand what officer they sent. Way bother to grout? Might as well just apply a sealer over the entire bathroom, easier and cheaper. The question is, how long will the next leak be?

Go taobao buy a moisture meter lor

If I am not wrong, anything more than 70 is fail

Don't you say I say everybody say

Go by scientific method, got meter for talk

Tell the hdb guy bring the moisture meter

So you don't need buy

But toilet must be dry and super well ventilated before calling that guy down if not wait he say your own water on the ceiling mah, condensation mah

m4plnB8qbOD3Rn8avFax8lA.jpg

all these is wood one

Donno can use in concrete or not I donno

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=19680606752

• Praise 2

Only one day after applying the plaster... problem is no moisture at all... if u stick a tissue paper to it, the tissue won't get wet at all... that's the argument HDB officer will give ... it's not obvious water droplets, no case to ask above to redo their floor tiles...

Only one day after applying the plaster... problem is no moisture at all... if u stick a tissue paper to it, the tissue won't get wet at all... that's the argument HDB officer will give ... it's not obvious water droplets, no case to ask above to redo their floor tiles...

I didnt know HDB has such a scientific way to tell if water proofing works. I think tissue paper manufacturers will be very happy to hear this [lipsrsealed]

Single ply? Double ply? Triple ply?

100% virgin wood pulp?

Bamboo cellulose?

• Praise 1

I didnt know HDB has such a scientific way to tell if water proofing works. I think tissue paper manufacturers will be very happy to hear this [lipsrsealed]

It was recommend by the contractor for a simple test... and btw, sorry, the previous posting suppose to have some photos, but my iphone doesn't attach it...

as you can see, it just patch of yellow appearing, but it's not wet

post-20466-0-94087200-1474425198_thumb.jpg

post-20466-0-35071100-1474425204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bluepica

It was recommend by the contractor for a simple test... and btw, sorry, the previous posting suppose to have some photos, but my iphone doesn't attach it...

as you can see, it just patch of yellow appearing, but it's not wet

apply another coat of paint and see what happen after 1 month? take photo to back up.

apply another coat of paint and see what happen after 1 month? take photo to back up.

I suspect the lazy painter didn't apply oil based sealant and based on observation, those patch are not wet, it's old water marks....according to some other forums, old water marks will remains even after seepage stops and it cannot be covered by water based paint, the marks will still transfer to the new water based paint and plaster... it need to be cover by oil based paint... i will ask them to paint 2 layer of oil based sealant and see how.... already provide half tin of 20L sealant to them but the volume still looks the same  :pissed-off:

I suspect the lazy painter didn't apply oil based sealant and based on observation, those patch are not wet, it's old water marks....according to some other forums, old water marks will remains even after seepage stops and it cannot be covered by water based paint, the marks will still transfer to the new water based paint and plaster... it need to be cover by oil based paint... i will ask them to paint 2 layer of oil based sealant and see how.... already provide half tin of 20L sealant to them but the volume still looks the same  :pissed-off:

good, but please get a yellow color paint, less visible  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Why the wall tiles on the top is thin strips? Lousy workmanship leh. They should cut the second last tile to make the last tile same size as the second last tile. That tiny strip totally spoil the look.

IMHO. [scholar]

• Praise 2

Might b remainants water marks.. Need apply 2 coats of sealer, paint over.. Thrn monitor .. At least hdb rules clear.

Pte condo, upstairs legally bounded to foot 100% but they still hack care. Churn pattern till legal letter & bca involved then do ! No see coffin no cry tears ...

Latest update, H-lee-bee officer came and take a look, say he had spoke to upstair neighbor, neighbor said no need to inspect, if officer think need to redo the toilet flooring, just go ahead and apply for the 50% subsidise and 25/25 share scheme. So officer will apply to do upstair flooring... hope everything settled

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1