Bukit Batok MP David Ong Resigns

Showster

Bukit Batok MP David Ong resigns, citing personal reasons

People’s Action Party (PAP) politician David Ong is resigning as the Member of Parliament for Bukit Batok, and from his party, citing personal reasons. 

A by-election will be held for the single-seat ward, said the Prime Minister’s Office in a statement on Saturday afternoon. 

Mr Ong entered politics in the 2011 General Election and was elected as one of the MPs for Jurong GRC. In the 2015 General Election, his ward was carved out as a single seat and saw a three-way fight between Mr Ong, Singapore Democratic Party candidate Sadasivam Veriyah, and independent Samir Salim Neji. Mr Ong took 73 per cent of the vote, above the national average of 69.9 per cent. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Bukit Batok MP David Ong resigns, citing personal reasons

People’s Action Party (PAP) politician David Ong is resigning as the Member of Parliament for Bukit Batok, and from his party, citing personal reasons.

A by-election will be held for the single-seat ward, said the Prime Minister’s Office in a statement on Saturday afternoon.

Mr Ong entered politics in the 2011 General Election and was elected as one of the MPs for Jurong GRC. In the 2015 General Election, his ward was carved out as a single seat and saw a three-way fight between Mr Ong, Singapore Democratic Party candidate Sadasivam Veriyah, and independent Samir Salim Neji. Mr Ong took 73 per cent of the vote, above the national average of 69.9 per cent.

Oh man, time for by election liao. Wonder what could the reason for David resignation. Thot he has been treading the line carefully. If it is due to health, wish him speedy recovery.

Oh man, time for by election liao. Wonder what could the reason for David resignation. Thot he has been treading the line carefully. If it is due to health, wish him speedy recovery.

Haiz............................ :relief:

No public holiday for "By-Election"   :TT_TT:

PM Lee also posted the statement, Mr Ong's letter, and his letter in reply to Mr Ong on his Facebook page.

In his reply to Mr Ong, the Prime Minister wrote: "Thank you for your letter. I deeply regret that I must accept your resignation."

He noted that Mr Ong had "served diligently as an MP" in Jurong GRC and Bukit Batok SMC, and cited his work in building up a team of volunteers and community partners and introducing programmes to help the needy in his ward.

PM Lee also recognised Mr Ong's speeches in Parliament on issues such as the retirement age and MediShield coverage, and his non-MP roles such as vice-chairman of the annual River Hongbao Festival, President of Basketball Association of Singapore, Patron of the Singapore Brain Tumour Society and Adviser to the Singapore Eng Choon Clan.

"However, having considered the matter carefully, I believe that your decision to resign is in the best interest of your constituents, the Party, your family and yourself," concluded PM Lee.

"I thank you for your contributions, and wish you all the best for the future."

PM Lee also posted the statement, Mr Ong's letter, and his letter in reply to Mr Ong on his Facebook page.

In his reply to Mr Ong, the Prime Minister wrote: "Thank you for your letter. I deeply regret that I must accept your resignation."

He noted that Mr Ong had "served diligently as an MP" in Jurong GRC and Bukit Batok SMC, and cited his work in building up a team of volunteers and community partners and introducing programmes to help the needy in his ward.

PM Lee also recognised Mr Ong's speeches in Parliament on issues such as the retirement age and MediShield coverage, and his non-MP roles such as vice-chairman of the annual River Hongbao Festival, President of Basketball Association of Singapore, Patron of the Singapore Brain Tumour Society and Adviser to the Singapore Eng Choon Clan.

"However, having considered the matter carefully, I believe that your decision to resign is in the best interest of your constituents, the Party, your family and yourself," concluded PM Lee.

"I thank you for your contributions, and wish you all the best for the future."

Should add [rolleyes]  one more line, "regretted   [shakehead]  you had given up the ivory seat that many dreaming to sit, bye-bye   [wave] "  

• Praise 1