• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
52 replies to this topic | 212 praises

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

Michael2828
  • Premium member
    Michael2828
    Clutched
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi guys and gals,

Do you all prefer to change to a 2nd hand or insist on 1st hand?

Regards,

Michael2828

kobayashiGT and BanCoe praised this

Why drink and drive, When you can smoke and fly~?

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Lotr
  • Premium member
    Lotr
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

First hand. Safety first

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

Ivan_06
  • Ivan_06
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If you even need to save on the tyres, perhaps it's better for you not to drive.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

for me, it actually depends on the age of the car.

like my previous ride, my tyres were bald and i only have 3 months left on the car.

using new 1st hand tires would be a waste given that i will not even be able to break them in before i scrap the car.

otherwise, it is always 1st hand. safety first.

Albeniz praised this

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ivan_06
  • Ivan_06
    6th Gear
    Author Image

for me, it actually depends on the age of the car.
like my previous ride, my tyres were bald and i only have 3 months left on the car.

using new 1st hand tires would be a waste given that i will not even be able to break them in before i scrap the car.

otherwise, it is always 1st hand. safety first.

We never know what had happened with the 2nd hand tyres previously. I won't take the risk. Tyres can easily be bought and replaced but I only have one life.
SGCMmadman praised this

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

We never know what had happened with the 2nd hand tyres previously. I won't take the risk. Tyres can easily be bought and replaced but I only have one life.

i know. but like i said, given only 3 months left on the car, buying brand new tires are a waste. unless you can be damn sure your next car uses the same rim and tyre size.

And for my kinda usage, the second hand tires are better than a set of bald ones, to tide over till the new ride arrives.

RH1667 and Othello praised this

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:04 PM

Ivan_06
  • Ivan_06
    6th Gear
    Author Image

i know. but like i said, given only 3 months left on the car, buying brand new tires are a waste. unless you can be damn sure your next car uses the same rim and tyre size.
And for my kinda usage, the second hand tires are better than a set of bald ones, to tide over till the new ride arrives.

I will buy new one lor. Bo Bian.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

If you even need to save on the tyres, perhaps it's better for you not to drive.

and with these tyres, dun implicate others on the road.  You see lots of cars that stinge on tyres and as a result get into an accident and cause OTHER innocent road users as collateral damage.

Best option is get yor trusted tyre workshop as sometimes ppl trade in their NEW tyres to upsize tyres on their rides.  

That would be a safer bet

I will buy new one lor. Bo Bian.

2 things you NEVER compromise:

1.  Tyres

2.  Brakes

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:27 PM

2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Insist on brand new tyres. whether you are driving your car for only 3 months or less. Safety is much more important than anything else. If you are going to scrap your car soon, can buy slightly cheaper new tyres, if you find wasted.

Ivan_06 praised this
Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Life is very fragile. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

Ivan_06
  • Ivan_06
    6th Gear
    Author Image

and with these tyres, dun implicate others on the road. You see lots of cars that stinge on tyres and as a result get into an accident and cause OTHER innocent road users as collateral damage.

Best option is get yor trusted tyre workshop as sometimes ppl trade in their NEW tyres to upsize tyres on their rides.

That would be a safer bet

2 things you NEVER compromise:

1. Tyres

2. Brakes

Sometimes I see those people driving luxury makes but when they brake, wah piano u can hear the metal grinding into the discs rotors liao. Why scrimp on brake pads sia.

For me, back then Toyota Vios and now Hyundai accent. Both 14 inch tyres.. Not expensive lah.

Can get Bridgestone Yokohama for less than $400 4 tyres. Made in Japan / Thailand. Now accent is Kumho, even cheaper, around $300 for 4 tyres, made in Korea. I change around 2.5 years, with an annual mileage of 15k. So in 2.5 years, around 37.5k. Still okay.

Edited by Ivan_06, 18 March 2016 - 02:40 PM.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

EvidenceProtocol
  • EvidenceProtocol
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Brand new tyres r good of course but still take a look at year of production...

Certain take off tyres aloso worth...some pple just drive car out of showroom straight away upgrade to bigger rims n tyres...this kind of take off tyres also can b a good buy....

Use to hear some tyres shops cut the thread of the old tyres making it look good...but these r really irresponsible tyre shops...
RadX and Albeniz praised this

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Ahgong
  • Premium member
    Ahgong
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Brand new tyres r good of course but still take a look at year of production...

Certain take off tyres aloso worth...some pple just drive car out of showroom straight away upgrade to bigger rims n tyres...this kind of take off tyres also can b a good buy....

Use to hear some tyres shops cut the thread of the old tyres making it look good...but these r really irresponsible tyre shops...

oh... so that is the term to use. Take-off tyres.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

MQX87511
  • MQX87511
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Hi guys and gals,

Do you all prefer to change to a 2nd hand or insist on 1st hand?

Regards,

Michael2828

if 2nd hand tread depth ok and mfg date less 2 years, why not?

Othello praised this

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Michael2828
  • Premium member
    Michael2828
    Clutched
    Author Image

agree that. its up to individual lah. some ppl very rich. [:p]  [:p]  [:p]  

1 Anonymous member praised this

Why drink and drive, When you can smoke and fly~?

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

Karoon
  • Premium member
    Karoon
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

2nd hand tyres got different types. if die2 have to, get almost new tyres as mentioned above, by tyre upgraders (from showroom straight to workshop), not reconditioned tyres.

but must know workshops well or they'll sell it to you at new tyre prices. [knife]
1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Imac
  • Premium member
    Imac
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Correct, even for car...I only buy 1st hand...don't trust 2nd hand car....you never know what the previous owner do to the car...there are so many part of the car  which can be mod/meddle with, as compare to just the 4x tyres.

If you cannot afford new car...you also better don't drive.... [smash] hahaha...

Edited by Imac, 20 March 2016 - 04:08 PM.

Albeniz, flashbang and Othello praised this

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Sometimes I see those people driving luxury makes but when they brake, wah piano u can hear the metal grinding into the discs rotors liao. Why scrimp on brake pads sia.

For me, back then Toyota Vios and now Hyundai accent. Both 14 inch tyres.. Not expensive lah.

Can get Bridgestone Yokohama for less than $400 4 tyres. Made in Japan / Thailand. Now accent is Kumho, even cheaper, around $300 for 4 tyres, made in Korea. I change around 2.5 years, with an annual mileage of 15k. So in 2.5 years, around 37.5k. Still okay.

Actually thats normal got metal brake sound if car just got started. Sometimes the type of rims and depend on size too. Mine on 20 inch and every morning got braking metal sound. After drive awhile it will be gone.

Ask the workshop brake pad can last for another 2 servicing. Check in idrive system, brake pad can last another 19k km
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Imac
  • Premium member
    Imac
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Actually, the folks at Stamford Tire advised me that with our local weather condition, it is better to change the tyre every 2 years for normal driving.

For me, regardless of heavy or light usage...i change my 4 tyres every year just during my pre-CNY servicing. [laugh]

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

kobayashiGT

In order to preserve tyres better, i think best is to do tyre rotation every 6 mth. Most of us is driving a front wheel drive car, The front tyres will wear off faster. Good to do rotation. Balance off the tyre thread.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Actually, the folks at Stamford Tire advised me that with our local weather condition, it is better to change the tyre every 2 years for normal driving.

For me, regardless of heavy or light usage...i change my 4 tyres every year just during my pre-CNY servicing. [laugh]

Don't ask the tyre shop if you need to change tyres, the answer is usually YES.

Othello praised this

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Soh Tyre Battery Enterprise

Soh Tyre Battery Enterprise  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Urbanx  |  2nd Gear

Purchase new tyre Michelin PS3 size 235/45R18 since 3rd Aug 2017. It's value for money

Guan Lee Tyre & Co.

Guan Lee Tyre & Co.  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Blue_Mario  |  Neutral Newbie

Replace a new Amaron Battery (45Amh) by Mr. Tay. Best Price for Battery & Also very Friendly Boss. Thank you for the excellent service ,Mr Tay.

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Tyres & Rims

Quick Reply

Tags: tyre 1st hand 2nd hand, new, old and 3 more...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users