2nd hand tyre vs 1st hand tyre

Michael2828

Internal Moderator

In order to preserve tyres better, i think best is to do tyre rotation every 6 mth. Most of us is driving a front wheel drive car, The front tyres will wear off faster. Good to do rotation. Balance off the tyre thread.

↡ Advertisement

Actually, the folks at Stamford Tire advised me that with our local weather condition, it is better to change the tyre every 2 years for normal driving.

For me, regardless of heavy or light usage...i change my 4 tyres every year just during my pre-CNY servicing. [laugh]

Don't ask the tyre shop if you need to change tyres, the answer is usually YES.

• Praise 1

Inspect the 2nd hand tires for outward conditions and date code. If likely used and within 3 years, 2nd hand tires are much cheaper, old $30 vs new $100. 

As my ride is ending its life (scrap in may 18), I bought four 2nd hand tyres and the tyre shop told me it has like 70% left of thread usage, hence it is cheaper than buying new ones.  Front two and rear two are different brands though. Sizing the same.

• Dislike 1

As my ride is ending its life (scrap in may 18), I bought four 2nd hand tyres and the tyre shop told me it has like 70% left of thread usage, hence it is cheaper than buying new ones.  Front two and rear two are different brands though. Sizing the same.

So you are changing your car soon?

• Praise 1

how to know when to change tires?

Visual inspect the threadwear or change every 40K.

No hard and fast rule.

I have seen drivers max out their tyres till 60K of mileage, which I will definitely not feel comfortable.

(edited)

I think 2nd hand tyres in general are safe because Singaporeans are rich and have itchy backsides !!  [laugh] So many people change rims (thus tyres) after a while cos dun like the look or found new love. For myself, when I buy 2nd hand car, I usually change out the tyres. Then after a while I upsize rims, so sell away my less than 1 year, less than 10k mileage very good condition tyres .... My buyer say "wah, the tyres very new!" 

I also bought used tyres once before. Drove for about 2-3 years without fanfare. 

To make a sweeping statement like " Buy 2nd hand tyres means dun cherish life" , "got money buy car want to stinge on tyres" is abit over the top. 

There are many 2nd hand tyres in great/good condition. The onus is on the driver to go to an honest shop or his regular tyre shop whereby he knows wun give him shitty tyres. Of cos if one is a noob or blur cock, yes please stick to reputable shops with new tyres. 

For eg. one bro here said he'll still buy 2nd hand tyres even when his car has less than 3 months to go. After that, tyre tiam take in his tyres and sell as used tyres. Now, would buying that 4 pcs of tyres means the next buyer dun cherish his life ? 

I usually buy new tyres, but I wun rule out getting used ones either ..... I rather get a used Michelin XM2 than a new tyre from dunno where  :D

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 4

Twincharged

I think 2nd hand tyres in general are safe because Singaporeans are rich and have itchy backsides !! [laugh] So many people change rims (thus tyres) after a while cos dun like the look or found new love. For myself, when I buy 2nd hand car, I usually change out the tyres. Then after a while I upsize rims, so sell away my less than 1 year, less than 10k mileage very good condition tyres .... My buyer say "wah, the tyres very new!"

I also bought used tyres once before. Drove for about 2-3 years without fanfare.

To make a sweeping statement like " Buy 2nd hand tyres means dun cherish life" , "got money buy car want to stinge on tyres" is abit over the top.

There are many 2nd hand tyres in great/good condition. The onus is on the driver to go to an honest shop or his regular tyre shop whereby he knows wun give him shitty tyres. Of cos if one is a noob or blur cock, yes please stick to reputable shops with new tyres.

For eg. one bro here said he'll still buy 2nd hand tyres even when his car has less than 3 months to go. After that, tyre tiam take in his tyres and sell as used tyres. Now, would buying that 4 pcs of tyres means the next buyer dun cherish his life ?

I usually buy new tyres, but I wun rule out getting used ones either ..... I rather get a used Michelin XM2 than a new tyre from dunno where :D

Can’t praise you. This I do it here.

Absolutely right.

(edited)

I feel if ur car is going to scrap and need a quick solution, then get 2nd h, Else buy a new and better tyre. Always think tyre very important. 

how to know when to change tires?

Usually is 2 years or ~ 40000km, whichever come first.

But depends also. Can stretch a bit if ur tyre is still ok.

Edited by ntuc2018

getting second hand tires if your car left only short life to go , But only buy from reliable or regular shop and tell them your reason why you need it .

few tip to lookup

1 avoid re grooved tires ( heard they are available in the market and some used car Dealers love them because it looks very good condition and cheap but to me is a Unethical business practice).

2 dont buy from junk yard because you will getting JUNK not tires.

just MHO

Second hand tyres only go to regular tyre shops or reputable ones. Some jialat ones cut the tyres themselves to make them look newer. IMHO change second hand tyres towards the end of car life only

Second hand tyres only go to regular tyre shops or reputable ones. Some jialat ones cut the tyres themselves to make them look newer. IMHO change second hand tyres towards the end of car life only

How does one cut the thread oneself. Worth the effort? Anyway if buying 2nd tyres, can always check/compare the thread pattern of the new ones?

How does one cut the thread oneself. Worth the effort? Anyway if buying 2nd tyres, can always check/compare the thread pattern of the new ones?

Not sure. The boss of the tyre shop told me some jialat ones do that

My ride is currently running on a set of used tyres. Got it from a trusted shop for very much less than brand new, and plenty of thread life left (in fact it looked like a takeoff tyre set). It is still running perfectly well after 1 year plus.

So, it is a viable option, but buy with eyes open !

My ride is currently running on a set of used tyres. Got it from a trusted shop for very much less than brand new, and plenty of thread life left (in fact it looked like a takeoff tyre set). It is still running perfectly well after 1 year plus.

So, it is a viable option, but buy with eyes open !

Take off Tyres are not cheap...i was quoted less 100 over new ones only

I rather buy new safer with sticker and warranty :)

↡ Advertisement