SGD 300,000 budget for a used car... 740i or Panamera or ?

conti-man

Twincharged

Uncle also need advice.. Which durian better? Appreciate all the perspective. MSW, D24, red prawn, ?

MSW hands down. With cash of course. [laugh]

Edited by sake

Hi friends

As above.  I'm considering a BMW 740i 3-litre or a Porsche Panamera 3-litre.  Any comments?  I also welcome any other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

PM you bro  [;)]

I feel obligated to reply to this thread because my wife has a panny and one of my business partners has a 740i.

I have driven the panny several times since our purchase a couple of months back, and have driven the 740i less than 10 times thanks to the laziness of my partner.

The panny (basic edition V6 model) is a smaller car as compared to the 740i, is marginally less powerful but handles better than the 740i. I strongly recommend you to TD both cars to feel the difference in their steering and ride. I love to push the panny hard into gradual-to-medium turns just to feel the feedback in its steering; but surprisingly the panny has the softer steering at carpark speed. The panny also seems to ride marginally better too in my opinion. Acceleration-wise, I think both are on par as I could not feel the difference. The panny is the quieter car on the move with less wind and tyre noise.

Interior: I reckon panny is the more luxurious in terms of the superior seats (softer and more comfortable) and the higher quality of most interior panels and trims, although I prefer the more modern infotainment system of the 740i. The panny has that Audi smell while the 740i smells like typical beemers (if such things matters to you - I prefer the beemer smell :)). Again, I suggest you to hit the showrooms to touch both cars before you commit. 

To me, they are different kind of cars despite their similar pricing. I have to emphasize that this is an opinion piece from me. For me I will get the panny.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

I feel obligated to reply to this thread because my wife has a panny and one of my business partners has a 740i.

I have driven the panny several times since our purchase a couple of months back, and have driven the 740i less than 10 times thanks to the laziness of my partner.

The panny (basic edition V6 model) is a smaller car as compared to the 740i, is marginally less powerful but handles better than the 740i. I strongly recommend you to TD both cars to feel the difference in their steering and ride. I love to push the panny hard into gradual-to-medium turns just to feel the feedback in its steering; but surprisingly the panny has the softer steering at carpark speed. The panny also seems to ride marginally better too in my opinion. Acceleration-wise, I think both are on par as I could not feel the difference. The panny is the quieter car on the move with less wind and tyre noise.

Interior: I reckon panny is the more luxurious in terms of the superior seats (softer and more comfortable) and the higher quality of most interior panels and trims, although I prefer the more modern infotainment system of the 740i. The panny has that Audi smell while the 740i smells like typical beemers (if such things matters to you - I prefer the beemer smell :)). Again, I suggest you to hit the showrooms to touch both cars before you commit. 

To me, they are different kind of cars despite their similar pricing. I have to emphasize that this is an opinion piece from me. For me I will get the panny.

i sat in my friend's panamera ... feels like sitting in a  bloody airplane cockpit. its like porsche vomitted buttons EVERYWHERE! sometimes i see him he also blur cos he says there are just too many buttons to press (he is driving the 'S' ver). its got a good punch for sure. not sure about the v6 ver.

i sat in my friend's panamera ... feels like sitting in a  bloody airplane cockpit. its like porsche vomitted buttons EVERYWHERE! sometimes i see him he also blur cos he says there are just too many buttons to press (he is driving the 'S' ver). its got a good punch for sure. not sure about the v6 ver.

True! The more options you have the more buttons you have! :grin:

Bro, none punch heavier than your Godzilla. This one is factual :=B:

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

True! The more options you have the more buttons you have! :grin:

Bro, none punch heavier than your Godzilla. This one is factual :=B:

ya but godzilla also got more maintenance problems and servicing issues than porsche.

porsche is def a lot more reliable than gtr for sure.

• Praise 1

i recommend you get the macan too, but if i were to pick i would choose the panamera over the 7.

Thank you for the various inputs.  I appreciate the the wide range of views offered.  Perhaps I share more of my thoughts with those who are interested.

My rationale for buying a used car, as opposed to a new car, is to let the 1st owner absorb a disproportionately large share of the depreciation for the first few years that he owned the car, so that my depreciation per year for the remaining years is much lower. Basically, I want to get more value compared to another person who buys the same car brand new.

Once I'm on the road, there is no difference whether I bought the car in its 3rd year or I bought the car brand new and the car is now in its 3rd year.

Someone opined that used cars have more maintenance problems.  Well, even if I buy a new car this year, it will become an old car 3 years later. The only difference is that the buyer of a used car does not enjoy the use of a brand new car in the first few years.  After that, it is the same in both scenarios.  Maintenance problems will still surface from the 5th or 6th year onward, whether I buy the car brand new or in its 3rd year.

If the car is a lemon (ie a car that has many problems due to manufacturing issues), whether I buy it brand new or second hand, there is no escape because the chance is random.  It is a matter of luck.

Perhaps the only difference is if the 1st owner drove the car very hard and caused some permanent damage.

I have no doubt that Merc E-series is a very competent car.  Since I mentioned that my budget is SGD 300k, I'm targeting cars that cost $400k to $550k when brand new.  If I want to buy a used Merc E-series, my budget would be SGD 200k.

I feel that Audi A7 is in a different league to start with, although it was targeting the same market segment as BM 6-series GC, Merc CLS, etc.  But now Audi A7 has launched a 2-litre version.  So it has decidedly expanded to a lower segment.

I thank the friend who recommended Porsche Macan and other interesting SUVs. I personally don't like SUV because of the high centre of gravity.  It feels less stable if you do a sharp corner fast.

Someone also called BM 740i and Porsche Panamera super luxury cars.  Actually, these 2 models are commonly regarded as higher end executive cars.  I would use the term super luxury cars to refer to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the much more expensive Porsche models.  That's why I specified Porsche Panamera 3-litre, which is now the base model. 

I welcome anybody to share his opinion, especially those who provide different perspectives.  In fact, that's how we learn from each other and make wiser decisions in our lives.

think twice for used car, especially in Singapore society lemon law is bulls**t,

buy conti high end used car, no-warranty, will be in high risk end up maintenance cost even higher than purchase cost,

however new car at least can enjoy 5 years warranty, you will be not worry to abuse the car in 1st place

Edited by MQX87511

u all mai suan forte la, from e way he responded to postings, he could possibly b some top gun of a company.

i must clarify i not PLP  [laugh]

not forgetting top gun change / jump ship quite fast nowadays..

otherwise is his own biz

ya but godzilla also got more maintenance problems and servicing issues than porsche.

porsche is def a lot more reliable than gtr for sure.

jap car not as reliable? y? turbo related issues?

↡ Advertisement