SGD 300,000 budget for a used car... 740i or Panamera or ?

conti-man

Sorry to hijack this thread.  I wanted to start a new thread but was told my account is too new and I need to clock 10 posts first before I can start a new thread.

My 9.5 years old Mercedes S-class is due for scrap and I'm seriously considering getting a 4 to 5 year old Panamera.  My budget is from $180k to 220k and I have been looking around in the market.

My question are the following:

(1)  Is Panamera the right choice?  This is my first attempt at a Porsche.  I actually don't mind the look eventhough many say it is ugly.  I rather get turned on by the big backside. hehehe.

(2) Is Panamera a reliable car for daily use?  Sorry I'm not rich enough to have multiple cars and I use my car daily and clock high mileage on it.

(3) Are spare parts and maintenance a lot higher than Mercedez?

Appreciate all the comments.  Thank you.

1)Depends on what you need, you can try the Macan it also sit 4 people

2)It depends on your luck, if you're unlucky enough to get a lemon then im sorry. But according to my neighbour who owns one theres no complain

3)Yes Porsche maintenance is more expensive then Merc, but if you go outside workshop you might get it for cheaper.

↡ Advertisement

Sorry to hijack this thread.  I wanted to start a new thread but was told my account is too new and I need to clock 10 posts first before I can start a new thread.

My 9.5 years old Mercedes S-class is due for scrap and I'm seriously considering getting a 4 to 5 year old Panamera.  My budget is from $180k to 220k and I have been looking around in the market.

(1)  Is Panamera the right choice?  This is my first attempt at a Porsche.  I actually don't mind the look eventhough many say it is ugly.  I rather get turned on by the big backside. hehehe.

(2) Is Panamera a reliable car for daily use?  Sorry I'm not rich enough to have multiple cars and I use my car daily and clock high mileage on it.

Go for it....

I have never own a Panamera too but has a friend who had "both".

Apparently maintenance wise not as expensive as expected, similar to C&C (if you accept C&C in the first place - cheaper outside definitely)

For high speed driver's perspective at NS highway, it beats the S class 

But driving position slightly lower?

However, comfort wise and rear passengers - prefer the S class, besides less one seat, the knee room is limited and i think no "air suspension", unless the higher specs V8 panamera

otherwise, shd be similar most of the stuff with your W221

omv/road tax shd be abt the same too (assuming yours S350)

Thanks for comments. I tested drive the macan and like it. Unfortunately my wife doesnt like suv.

As for mercedes s-class airmatic suspension,you have to experience it to know. The airmatic suspension fail at the most inconvenient time for me and i had to get a tow truck and waited at the roadside for 2 hours. If there is a paid option on s-class to get normal spring suspension, i would. Im so glad porsche panamera runs on springs. Hehehe

I think if you can survive S-Class, Panamera should be no problem la. Maintenance a bit more expensive but not far away from S-Class.

This one looks good.

Thanks for comments. I tested drive the macan and like it. Unfortunately my wife doesnt like suv.

As for mercedes s-class airmatic suspension,you have to experience it to know. The airmatic suspension fail at the most inconvenient time for me and i had to get a tow truck and waited at the roadside for 2 hours. If there is a paid option on s-class to get normal spring suspension, i would. Im so glad porsche panamera runs on springs. Hehehe

haha...yes,

mine front left suspension broke down in KL....dashboard showed "Car too low"...

btw - recent article in Straits times

- bought used panamera on impulse

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/impulse-buy-on-family-outing

and launch of second generation Panamera

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/sneak-peek-of-new-models

$300,000?

I will buy a used 3-room HDB flat.

May be the TS has a few private properties so cannot buy a used 3 room hdb. Hehehe

haha...yes,

mine front left suspension broke down in KL....dashboard showed "Car too low"...

btw - recent article in Straits times

- bought used panamera on impulse

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/impulse-buy-on-family-outing

and launch of second generation Panamera

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/sneak-peek-of-new-models

IMHO, Airmatic suspension is a time bomb unlike other spart parts. U dont know when it is going to go off. I hate equipment that fail without notice and doesnt give u time to react. At least a tyre puntured by nail still give u enough time to drive to a tyre shop. Airmatic suspension is the s class biggest flaw for fitting such device on an already very heavy car.
  • Praise 1

May be the TS has a few private properties so cannot buy a used 3 room hdb. Hehehe

IMHO, Airmatic suspension is a time bomb unlike other spart parts. U dont know when it is going to go off. I hate equipment that fail without notice and doesnt give u time to react. At least a tyre puntured by nail still give u enough time to drive to a tyre shop. Airmatic suspension is the s class biggest flaw for fitting such device on an already very heavy car.

To be fair to mercedes, the one i had is an old used car....that time cant afford brand new...bought a second hand 3-4 owners one, with ODO > 150k, possibly not well maintained, being abused?.  Once suspension give way, car can still be driven but slowly.

Also maybe other A8 or LS or landrover have similar problems too.  

Hopefully for newer models, new air suspension will last longer, better reliability with better design etc.

• Praise 1

I think if you can survive S-Class, Panamera should be no problem la. Maintenance a bit more expensive but not far away from S-Class.

This one looks good.

Might need closer look, the car doesn't look well taken care of. 

• Praise 1

This one looks good.

Are u the seller or dealer of this car? Usually i would avoid cars that have more than 1 owner.

As for airmatic, i was just raising my frustration. Im not saying brand new s class will have this problem. When u drive a 9.5 year old s class like me, u will sure have to face this problem sooner or later. Now a day i avoid airmatic as much as possible. Im sure a lot of people are doing the same thing.

• Praise 1

Did you consider the S class competitors? Audi A8, Bmw 7 series, Lexus LS, Jaguar XJL?

Or the panamera's competitor- Maserati quattroporte

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My previous ride was S350l. I really enjoyed the airmatic ride but agree it can also be frustrating.

When the warning signal came out, I just drove straight to the workshop. and was out and about within 90 minutes.

My current car also has air suspension...opted for it.  [:)]

• Praise 7

Are u the seller or dealer of this car? Usually i would avoid cars that have more than 1 owner.

No la. I just happen to come across since I browsing this topic. I no money for Porsche. Porsche model car maybe can.  :D

The not-the-latest panny has a small infortainment screen as compared to the W222. But the latest panny is on-par with W222 as both are 12.3 inches. The panny has Bose stereo, which is brilliant. Not too sure if all W222 come with Burmester stereo. The seats of the panny are very comfy.

The not-the-latest panny handles and corners well although the steering is very light. You can't really feel the steering at low speed. The PDK is smooth and you can't really feel the gear changes. I think this car is set up more for comfort and long range touring than tracking. This is a heavy car and you can feel it.

Servicing, parts and maintenance I'm not too sure as our panny is just a few months old. My gut feel is that it will be more expensive than the Merc.

Be very careful with the option list. It can get out of hand very easily.  [laugh]

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 1

buying a porky was never a rationale decision

must be impulse and it's even more prominent for uniquely singapore

只在乎曾经拥有  [laugh] 

• Praise 1

The not-the-latest panny has a small infortainment screen as compared to the W222. But the latest panny is on-par with W222 as both are 12.3 inches. The panny has Bose stereo, which is brilliant. Not too sure if all W222 come with Burmester stereo. The seats of the panny are very comfy.

The not-the-latest panny handles and corners well although the steering is very light. You can't really feel the steering at low speed. The PDK is smooth and you can't really feel the gear changes. I think this car is set up more for comfort and long range touring than tracking. This is a heavy car and you can feel it.

Servicing, parts and maintenance I'm not too sure as our panny is just a few months old. My gut feel is that it will be more expensive than the Merc.

Be very careful with the option list. It can get out of hand very easily.  [laugh]

Eurokar is 5 years free service le.

My previous ride was S350l. I really enjoyed the airmatic ride but agree it can also be frustrating.

When the warning signal came out, I just drove straight to the workshop. and was out and about within 90 minutes.

My current car also has air suspension...opted for it. [:)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1