2016 / 2017 Subaru Impreza

Carbon82

so far no issues, quiet, stable, looks like volvo from some angles haha cuz my dad honestly walked up to one and thought it was my car. or maybe because it was quite late at night. hahaha!

has alot of equipment too! carplay, android auto, tmps, for the price and equipment levels, not many come close.

only wished it has ventilated front seats and price remains the same. but guess i'm asking for too much.

has space,  i can fit a rear facing baby seat at the back and still have comfortable space in front passenger side.

since you already like the car, buy it!

the sooner you get it, the longer you have to enjoy it.

Thanks Swiftgoalfer,

can you comment on fuel consumption as well  i am reading its around 10 to 11 KMPL but is that expected or it will improve after initial running in. Also do we have any PI for subaru apart from MI.

↡ Advertisement

The new impreza is still relatively new, and subaru is not a high volume mover, so not surprised you do not see them regularly on the roads. Its best selling model is still the forester.

Singaporeans are always concerned about fuel consumption, and by comparison, subaru is heavier and consumes slightly more fuel for vehicles in the same class. The CVT does help with FC and should be comparable with Korean makes if you dont get caught in start-stop traffic often.

If you are concerned with resale price, subaru will be a problem. The demand is not really there and it probably wont fetch a good price due to the singaporean impression of the brand and FC.

Then again, with all car purchases, please do a test drive of all your shortlist.

Subaru AWD isnt there for nothing. I think the drive is stable and it packs more safety features.

Thanks Mark,

i will definitely test drive it that is the first rule :). Also Engine look sto be assembled little bit low for the passenger safety , though its not problem in Singapore but in ML it will definitely  have some kisses while passing through the speed breakers. anyways its decision between heart and mind let see who prevails.

Thanks Swiftgoalfer,

can you comment on fuel consumption as well  i am reading its around 10 to 11 KMPL but is that expected or it will improve after initial running in. Also do we have any PI for subaru apart from MI.

there are many factors when deciding but you need to decide what is must have, what is good to have, and what is can don't have. the reality is you can't have everything if you want it cheap. while car in this class hovers around the same price range, it still can be up to 5-6K in difference. e.g. impreza vs mazda 3 vs civic.

so if FC is of concern to you, then impreza may not be the best option. So far we have seen folks here getting as good as 12km/l. for me it can range from 10km/l to 12km/l depending on traffic for that week plus. but definitely won't hit 14-15 km/l like in the mazda 3.

resale value changes over time. Like how hyundai's resale was last time. But since avante time and now elantra, you see hyundai resale value has increase. so who knows this may happen to the new impreza also. Have you read this month TORQUE magazine? give you a good sense on how impreza has improved.

but then again, like some bros have advised here, test drive then decide. but so far no major problem. only the reverse camera software glitch. To be fair, car to new to conclude. Anyway, hearsay now want to buy also may not have stock liao. maybe you can verify for us? =P

I got this car for a few simple reasons.

For a car of this price it's got the best balance between aestheics (interior and exterior), leg room (I am quite tall and so am picky about this, which is why I didn't go for the mazda 3), and frills (bells and whistles like electronic seat, auto headlights, Android auto, etc etc).

Sure, it's not a perfect car but we are not paying the perfect price as well.

FC wise I am getting 12+ (almost 13) km per litre.

The thing is cvt takes some understanding and getting used to, as did my previous car, a civic hybrid. There is no point for one to floor the accelerator right off the start as it rams the engine and fuel consumption without much increase in pickup speed. Once you grasp the idea of how the gearbox works you'll be able to get pretty decent FC in my opinion.

The ride is actually really stable and quiet.. So much so I sometimes go faster than I thought I am when I take my eyes off the meters.

Downsides of the purchase? 1. Strict warranty. You may feel somewhat strangled on what you can and cannot do to your car due to fear of voiding the warranty.

2. Parts are known to be abit more pricey than other jap brands.

3. Lesser aftermarket accessory choices as it isn't exactly a car you see everywhere (but that's also part of the charm.. I don't want a car that I can see all over the road)

4. Not much upgrading options from MI. I'd have liked the option of upgrading audio, and upgrading passenger seat to electronic as well.

• Praise 3

For a car of this price it's got the best balance between aestheics (interior and exterior), leg room (I am quite tall and so am picky about this, which is why I didn't go for the mazda 3), and frills (bells and whistles like electronic seat, auto headlights, Android auto, etc etc).

The thing is cvt takes some understanding and getting used to, as did my previous car, a civic hybrid. There is no point for one to floor the accelerator right off the start as it rams the engine and fuel consumption without much increase in pickup speed. Once you grasp the idea of how the gearbox works you'll be able to get pretty decent FC in my opinion.

The ride is actually really stable and quiet.. So much so I sometimes go faster than I thought I am when I take my eyes off the meters.

Downsides of the purchase? 1. Strict warranty. You may feel somewhat strangled on what you can and cannot do to your car due to fear of voiding the warranty.

3. Lesser aftermarket accessory choices as it isn't exactly a car you see everywhere (but that's also part of the charm.. I don't want a car that I can see all over the road)

4. Not much upgrading options from MI. I'd have liked the option of upgrading audio, and upgrading passenger seat to electronic as well.

totally agree with you bro.. you get what you pay.. =)

how you get almost 13 siah.. mine really dependent on traffic..

i like best when the car is traveling at 100/110 kmh. can feel the power at the same time smooth..

totally agree with you bro.. you get what you pay.. =)

how you get almost 13 siah.. mine really dependent on traffic..

i like best when the car is traveling at 100/110 kmh. can feel the power at the same time smooth..

Well yes bro.. smooth highways will give you better FC of course hahaha.. but i try my best to ensure my RPM doesn't go above 2k (without becoming a roadhogger of course), and i notice that when moving off from stationery, there's a big gear change (RPM drop) at around 20 or 30km/h, and before you hit that gear change, revving the car is just burning fuel for nothing, so i just told myself be abit more patient and gradually move off lor..

Well yes bro.. smooth highways will give you better FC of course hahaha.. but i try my best to ensure my RPM doesn't go above 2k (without becoming a roadhogger of course), and i notice that when moving off from stationery, there's a big gear change (RPM drop) at around 20 or 30km/h, and before you hit that gear change, revving the car is just burning fuel for nothing, so i just told myself be abit more patient and gradually move off lor..

yup there is this drop in rpm around that speed. then it will pick up again. except for that, the acceleration is smooth.

so far getting 11-12+ km/l  depending on the evening Jam [nod]

• Praise 1

but then again, like some bros have advised here, test drive then decide. but so far no major problem. only the reverse camera software glitch. To be fair, car to new to conclude. Anyway, hearsay now want to buy also may not have stock liao. maybe you can verify for us? =P

What no major problem? Engine/CVT/Car shudder at 30km accelerating of decelerating sometime even the car jerking around that speed. Those who attended workshop will be able to remember that the chief mechanic himself mentioned that the pressure relief/on for torque converter around that speed.

2.0 Liter engine ECU program change to rectify this fault by Subaru but 1.6 nothing done. 

The car shudder/jerking reported by US & Australian market. Some here having the same experienced, including myself.

I posted a rattling sound from my morning start. Strange that nobody here have this problem except me.

Android Auto refuses to connect at random. Spoiled 2 cables already. 

Minor issue are

Bluetooth can disconnect at leisure and having speaker disconnected while in phone call.

Radio preset auto delete by itself.

Speaker is like sh it, no bass and sound like tore when it is tune louder.

Wiper auto swipe at random(after sensor default done).

Wiper juddering even when in the rain.

Some here cannot connect with Waze for Carplay.

Google sometime hangs.

The CVT 'eat' into the left foot space. If you rest your foot other than the foot rest, you will know what I mean.

After writing so much negatives...conclusion...don't really care lah...lol..very smooth and stable ride...love to drive in the rain!

Did you feel the car jerking?

Did you feel the car jerking?

If you rev from 0 to 2000rpm immediately then yes i guess you can call it a jerk when it hits that 20-30km/h speed..

But to me, and maybe only me, that's more like a "gear change" than anything else.. I got used to it so now i just accelerate gradually..

Maybe because i used to drive a hybrid, so i'm used to quirky driving styles..

What i'd usually do is use about 1500rpm to go until 30km then gradually step more..

not sure if it'd help..

If you rev from 0 to 2000rpm immediately then yes i guess you can call it a jerk when it hits that 20-30km/h speed..

But to me, and maybe only me, that's more like a "gear change" than anything else.. I got used to it so now i just accelerate gradually..

Maybe because i used to drive a hybrid, so i'm used to quirky driving styles..

What i'd usually do is use about 1500rpm to go until 30km then gradually step more..

not sure if it'd help..

Is the torque converter hydraulic pressure or something of that nature.

Is release or locks around 30km/hr.

That the cause of the jerk where u feel is a gear change, is CVT so no 'gear' to change.

Hi,

Any tips on how to drive cvt efficiently?

Noticed that flooring it won’t get the accleration but if u gently apply the pressure on the acclerator, u will get slightly better accleration. Sometimes i observed that “holding” the acclerator to get constant speed seems like not a good way too... or must drive like rubber band effect - press and release ?

• Praise 1

Hi,

Any tips on how to drive cvt efficiently?

Noticed that flooring it wonât get the accleration but if u gently apply the pressure on the acclerator, u will get slightly better accleration. Sometimes i observed that âholdingâ the acclerator to get constant speed seems like not a good way too... or must drive like rubber band effect - press and release ?

Just apply constant pressure and not regulate it till the car does not move at your desire speed. Depress it further. Same as any car. The CVT will adjust the ratio itself to meet engine load. Lineartronic cvt is more efficient than a manual car though not as exciting to drive as one to some. But for me, it is very good box just that it jerks a little at certain speed probably due to lock up clutch releasing/engaging itself at some speed.

Subaru improved fuel efficiency is largely due to this cvt.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Did many experience the wiper juddering issue as mentioned earlier? Any solution around it? It seem to occur even when it's raining.

• Praise 1

Dear All,

UPDATES:---

I visited showroom yesterday in Tohpayo, SA told me they stopped booking for 1.6 Impreza and no stocks are available.  They will check in Jan next year after GOVT new rule kicks in for more tax on the euro 4 vehicles. They expect car price will climb by another 10k bcoz of that tax.

As of now they are pushing for 2.0  and stock is available price for the same is 112K. his selling point is in 112k no one  in market is giving 2 lit engine. :) also bcoz of MAS regulations down payment for 2lt is 40% and you have to take loan and insurance from them. Looks like they  dont want to sell it at all.

In 112K we can get Forester 2.0 Premium which is far better than this. Also XT may not be available next year bcoz of the same tax on it can cost 20 K more the price. so if you need to book need to do it in this calendar year and vehicle can arrive in Jan to Mar time ( this is stupidity though) who will wait for 6 months for car. so i am off for other better option.

• Praise 3

Dear All,

UPDATES:---

I visited showroom yesterday in Tohpayo, SA told me they stopped booking for 1.6 Impreza and no stocks are available.  They will check in Jan next year after GOVT new rule kicks in for more tax on the euro 4 vehicles. They expect car price will climb by another 10k bcoz of that tax.

As of now they are pushing for 2.0  and stock is available price for the same is 112K. his selling point is in 112k no one  in market is giving 2 lit engine. :) also bcoz of MAS regulations down payment for 2lt is 40% and you have to take loan and insurance from them. Looks like they  dont want to sell it at all.

In 112K we can get Forester 2.0 Premium which is far better than this. Also XT may not be available next year bcoz of the same tax on it can cost 20 K more the price. so if you need to book need to do it in this calendar year and vehicle can arrive in Jan to Mar time ( this is stupidity though) who will wait for 6 months for car. so i am off for other better option.

Even if book this year and car only arrives early next year, it will also incur the VES tax?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1