NFC-enabled smartphones to make payment

Jman888

how many user will go for this? sound quite convenience which i might consider.

NFC-enabled smartphones can be used to pay for transport, food
Updated 29 Mar 2016

Users will have to get the new EZ-Link Near Field Communication SIM card though, which will gradually be made available to the public from Tuesday (Mar 29). 

sbs-transit-bus.jpg
File photo of commuters boarding an SBS Transit bus in Singapore. (Photo: TODAY)

SINGAPORE: Following the conclusion of a joint trial to study the use of Near Field Communication (NFC) technology to pay for public transport, compatible mobile phones can now be used to do just that. 

With the new NFC SIM card, certain mobile devices can be used for payments on MRT, LRT and public buses, as well as at more than 30,000 ez-link acceptance points across the island, according to a joint press release by the Land Transport Authority (LTA), Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) and EZ-Link on Tuesday (Mar 29). 

Users need to turn on the NFC function on their mobile phones to make payments and top up the purse, as they would with an ez-link card. Users can also check their ez-link purse balance, transaction history, and top-up value using the EZ-Link mobile application, the press release added.

The compatible NFC-enabled mobile phones include: 

* LG Optimus G
* LG Optimus G Pro
* Samsung GALAXY ACE 3 With LTE
* Samsung GALAXY Note II LTE
* Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4G+
* Samsung GALAXY Note Edge 4G+
* Samsung GALAXY S III
* Samsung GALAXY S III LTE
* Samsung Galaxy S6 4G+
* Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+ 4G+
* Samsung Galaxy S7 4G+
* Samsung Galaxy S7 edge 4G+
* Sony Xperia Z
* Sony Xperia Z2
* Sony Xperia Z3
* Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
* Sony Xperia Z5
* Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
* Sony Xperia Z5 Premium

"We have been testing various innovative fare payment systems, and bringing these NFC SIMs and mobile phone models into the public transit ticketing environment bears fruit to LTA’s on-going efforts to leverage on technology to bring greater convenience to commuters through new and convenient ways to pay for travel," said LTA Chief Executive Chew Men Leong.

The launch of the service follows the encouraging results from the joint trial, which ended in February 2016. Commencing in August 2014 with rail services and extended to buses in September 2015, the trial involved the testing of 15 NFC-enabled mobile phone models with the new NFC SIM, recording more than 30,000 transactions by 1,000 users.

The EZ-Link NFC SIM will be gradually made available to the public from Tuesday. For availability and pricing, please contact the respective mobile network operators, the release said.  

M1 and EZ-Link said in a separate release on Tuesday that the telco will be the first to allow its customers to pay using NFC. Starting from Tuesday, subscribers can swap their existing SIM cards to the NFC SIM, which will cost S$37.45, while those who sign up from Wednesday to Apr 30 will have their activation fee of S$9.10 waived.

- CNA/kk

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

my cina 小米 tak boleh.

the old model of Samsung and Sony quite affordable for testing   [laugh]  [laugh]

the old model of Samsung and Sony quite affordable for testing   [laugh]  [laugh]

one day your phone lost..............your bank acct also follow lost............... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

one day your phone lost..............your bank acct also follow lost............... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

but call telco to cancel faster, call ezlink still have to go down to station and fill up all the paper work.

i never lost my phone before, but i always forget to bring or forget where i put my ezlink card   [blush]

but call telco to cancel faster, call ezlink still have to go down to station and fill up all the paper work.

i never lost my phone before, but i always forget to bring or forget where i put my ezlink card   [blush]

you never tio put on hold my singtel customer service line hor???..............the music free one can listen long long never mind............. [:p]  [:p] 

by the way....................everything also got first time one hor..........  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

you never tio put on hold my singtel customer service line hor???..............the music free one can listen long long never mind............. [:p]  [:p] 

by the way....................everything also got first time one hor..........  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

choy... touchwood**    [rifle]   

Supersonic

I try to use NFC to top up ezlink card.

They bloody hell want another 30 cent for "convenience fee"

Don't get suckered in.

• Praise 1

I try to use NFC to top up ezlink card.

They bloody hell want another 30 cent for "convenience fee"

Don't get suckered in.

If I recall correctly that is waived if you use a Mastercard (or at least used to be). POSB Everyday card also can.

Supersonic

If I recall correctly that is waived if you use a Mastercard (or at least used to be). POSB Everyday card also can.

I think the "free" is many years ago.

A few weeks ago, I tried the ezlink app. It wanted another 30 cents for convenience fee.

So I stopped and went to the station to top up instead.

I think the "free" is many years ago.

A few weeks ago, I tried the ezlink app. It wanted another 30 cents for convenience fee.

So I stopped and went to the station to top up instead.

What does the ruling party name stand for again? :D

Turbocharged

iPhone 6 Plus got NFC chip but locked to Apple Pay. FUG UP. I think I consider change to google nexus...

at least u know apple will not help others hack ur phone

Supersonic

What does the ruling party name stand for again? :D

Yeah, everything they want to make money.

They make you pay for the card, which you need to put money in.

Then they come up with "convenience technology" and make you pay for "convenience fee"

And then the card has an expiry date, then they make you pay yet again for a new card.

Edited by Kb27

My phone has no NFC but even if it had NFC, I don't think I'll pay 38 dollars for a new sim card!

Yes...damn those telco. Even before people start to use such service they already charge you.

Anyone know where to get a fake sim card? If credit card can be copied..a small stupid sim?

at least u know apple will not help others hack ur phone

No...FBI just heckled with ouside source. Probably our dear sim lim merchant. Hahaha what a show. Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1