Inundated by paperwork

Mercury1

I was having a chat with a colleague on managing paperwork and storage, seems it quite a common issue among household where we file stacks of bills, invoices, statements etc which take up alot of space and time and usually what we want goes missing when we need it the most.

Currently I'm creating a system of scanning and filing the various paperwork but I like to know how everyone here tackles the paperwork pertaining to their own households? Just wondering if there is any methods out there which I can learn and leverage on.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

I throw the obviously non-essential, stuff everything that might be important in a recycle bag and clear it once every year, leaving only the most essential.

Used to keep them in those standing folders but 99% not used over years. Throw if possible, nowadays almost everything got digital backup from senders.

I was having a chat with a colleague on managing paperwork and storage, seems it quite a common issue among household where we file stacks of bills, invoices, statements etc which take up alot of space and time and usually what we want goes missing when we need it the most.

Currently I'm creating a system of scanning and filing the various paperwork but I like to know how everyone here tackles the paperwork pertaining to their own households? Just wondering if there is any methods out there which I can learn and leverage on.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

i scan and throw into my dropbox. contracts in one folder (ie starhub contract 2015-2017) and use similar conventions.

for bank statements i subscribe to the e-versions since most banks give you up to 5 years worth of data. i just log in, download the pdf and save it to dropbox as well.

(i have the 1tb dropbox, so i throw everything in there), been using the service for very, very long, i have pictures from NS and poly days even stored there.

• Praise 5

Not only bills, invoices etc, there are stil warranty and receipts card, appliances user manual and a whole lots more.

Previously I opted for online statements for some banks, but either I forget the password or for security reason they change tracking passwords is a pain. Then converting to non password protected also lei chei, have to pdf print and all kinds of warnings pop up.

Do you throw away the bank statements as well? 

Right now I'm scanning in the statements and shredding them at the office, might consider getting a small shredder to wipe out the more sensitive stuff.

I throw the obviously non-essential, stuff everything that might be important in a recycle bag and clear it once every year, leaving only the most essential.

Used to keep them in those standing folders but 99% not used over years. Throw if possible, nowadays almost everything got digital backup from senders.

Yeah currently those I scan in and stuff into a big drawer lol, hope nothing breaks down cause finding the original is gonna be a b*tch!

Not only bills, invoices etc, there are stil warranty and receipts card, appliances user manual and a whole lots more.

go paperless and opt for electronics bill. From telcome to SP services....all come with electronics billing..... That will make your filing so much easier....I don't filing it as it is all on the website for the past billing...

I keep several marked folders and clear once every few years.

One for each property

One for All cars

One for all bikes

One for insurance

One for income tax and cpf

I very organised one

Still trying too get used to it, its the companies habit of password protecting the files which irk me. Some just download from the site so not too bad

go paperless and opt for electronics bill. From telcome to SP services....all come with electronics billing..... That will make your filing so much easier....I don't filing it as it is all on the website for the past billing...

From your style of posting on the forums I also expected your paperwork to be merticulous (you sound like the organised type)

Any concerns on document disposal?

I keep several marked folders and clear once every few years.

One for each property
One for All cars
One for all bikes
One for insurance
One for income tax and cpf

I very organised one

Burn lol

Jk normally just put into files for household bills and for bank statement in another file. Only got 2 file, clear once every 2-3 yrs. i got not much bill, i am not rich, i use prepaid phone and bank only got one credit card also only got one.

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Old receipts, banks statements, I throw inside a standing folio.

When it gets full, I start throwing away the old papers.

Current credit card statements, I put on a clipboard.

When the day for payment approached, I pay and throw the statement back to the standing folio.

Appliances instruction sheets/manuals, warranty cards, I throw into a plastic box with cover.

If you have boxes, properly labelled and take the discipline to file them, it will make it much easier later on to look for them.

• Praise 3

Completely paperless. Only file IRAS related stuff. And invoices for products with warranty. Throw those also once warranty period over.

I used to meticulously enter expenses. Then realized that most expenses are done with credit card with the advent of pay pass and flash pay. So now only check my card statement before paying... e-statement. Delete that also once payment made.

• Praise 2

The problem is many senders will ask you to produce one when in need. Sometimes, I feel like hammering them. [smash]

Unless you leave trails (IDs & PWs) behind in your e-archive to your family members, it will be a challenge for them to access when you're not in this world. And usually these documents are most needed at that time. So, think of your own way to leave "something" behind for emergency access without compromising security.

• Praise 3