Seat makes a comeback to Singapore!

Fcw75

Supercharged

I think this type of conti car is not as reliable last time and expensive so ppl here dont buy them... no one buy close down...

My dad used to drive a Seat Malaga!

Wow i have to google to catch what you're saying! Haha. That was some time back, was the car very problematic?

I think this type of conti car is not as reliable last time and expensive so ppl here dont buy them... no one buy close down...

Yeah I also think it should be reliability issues, as Singaporeans are a pragmatic lot. But the design chio leh, if not very jialat should be able to survive here.

(edited)

Wow i have to google to catch what you're saying! Haha. That was some time back, was the car very problematic?

Actually, it was pretty okay. It was a company car. My dad was working for a German MNC and they provide company cars to its managers.

During the 3 yrs we had the Malaga, it didn't break down once and it came with power windows! Well, only for the driver and front passenger. The window switches were not located at the door handle. Instead, they are located in the centre console below the aircon vent. See the red arrow - that's the up/down button for the window

post-10667-1373442213_thumb.jpg

The interior was GREY and the car was boxy. Anyway, cars during the early 90s were mostly boxy too. The only complaint was it was a fuel guzzler.

Edited by Altivo

I remember Singapore used to have a Seat dealer, where did it go? The cars look modern and nice, would be a welcome sight on Singapore roads.

Seat Ibiza. SEXY! [gorgeous]

Seat Leon. Look at those Audi eyes and Alfa Romeo/Mazda backside! [inlove]

Seat Toledo. For some reasons this reminds me of Volkswagen Jetta and Toyota Corolla.

Seat Alhambra. Is it me or is this super similar to Volkswagen Touran? Or are Volkswagen's vehicles being marketed as Seat in some markets? [confused]

I also notice that Seat's primary markets apart from Europe, is mostly in developing countries. Wah then it should be priced quite affordably, it should work here if the running costs are kept low. Can Eurokars, C&C, Wearnes or just somebody bring this in to add more colours to our roads? [cool]

LOLS.. all I see is a more stylish version of Giulietta , VW Jetta and VW Touran..

Spanish VW...

You are right, Spanish brand using VW engines just Perodua using Daihatsu engines and Aussie Holden using Nissan engines.

You are right, Spanish brand using VW engines just Perodua using Daihatsu engines and Aussie Holden using Nissan engines.

I didn't know about the Holden using Nissan engines part. Actually using other companies engines very common ma, here in sg we have Mitsouka using Toyota engines and Ssangyong using Mercedes-Benz engines. In some places Opel is Vauxhall and Vauxhall is Holden and sometimes even Mazda becomes Vauxhall! Wah this one I don't know why like that liao.

I had a Seat Toledo from 2001-2003. it was a great car - good handling and sufficient power (only 100bhp but 150 Nm) even though it was a 1.6A. on the NSHW i could hit 180kph w/o breaking a sweat. i even travelled all the way to penang and up to genting with 6 ppl (! yes! ok one was a child) in this car.

there was a local Seat forum too and some of us even went to PG for some track fun on our toledos.

unfortunately after i sold the car, it misbehaved and gave problems to the next owner.

The Seat AD was actually under Income if i rem correctly. i think it was biz restructuring and they gave up the dealership.

The Singapore car market is too small to accommodate another brand, more so if it's just clones from another parent company, which in this case VW owns Skoda and Seat. If you notice, all the "siblings" brands fare very badly. Another example is Toyota and Daihatsu. Nothing wrong with these cars/brands, but just .........

hi bros,

the VW gp own Seat. Alot of their cars share platforms and parts with the VW cars,just like Skoda does. In terms of reliability and quality,it is just like a VW.

If I recall,SEAT Leon just won AutoExpress UK Car of the Year 2013,beating out competitors like Golf etc. Alot of reviews like from Carbuyer etc rate the Leon very highly.

The car market in Singapore does not favour such brands.The crazy COE prices skew the decision making towards more high end car brands.There is just no financial incentives for the buyer (assuming they are.able to affors it) to just pay 10k less for a lesser brand.

just my take.

The Seat AD was actually under Income if i rem correctly. i think it was biz restructuring and they gave up the dealership.

Wow that's surprising. Seat Singapore must have been not profitable else somebody will also take up the dealership just like how Citroen and Mazda did. But I'm really surprised that an insurance company like Income would attempt to manage a car dealership.

The Singapore car market is too small to accommodate another brand, more so if it's just clones from another parent company, which in this case VW owns Skoda and Seat. If you notice, all the "siblings" brands fare very badly. Another example is Toyota and Daihatsu. Nothing wrong with these cars/brands, but just .........

From my understanding, the VW group owns over 11 automotive companies; many of which are selling here - Audi, Porsche, Skoda, etcetera. I'm quite attracted to the styling of Seat, and I do believe that they have a market here.

hi bros,

the VW gp own Seat. Alot of their cars share platforms and parts with the VW cars,just like Skoda does. In terms of reliability and quality,it is just like a VW.

If I recall,SEAT Leon just won AutoExpress UK Car of the Year 2013,beating out competitors like Golf etc. Alot of reviews like from Carbuyer etc rate the Leon very highly.

The car market in Singapore does not favour such brands.The crazy COE prices skew the decision making towards more high end car brands.There is just no financial incentives for the buyer (assuming they are.able to affors it) to just pay 10k less for a lesser brand.

just my take.

Oh my Seat Leon is a really pretty car! Seeing how active Seat is doing in mostly developing countries, I reckon their prices would not be too high. If it's a comparison between Hyundai, Kia, Proton, and maybe with a top up of +/- $10k, I think alot of buyers would be attracted to the supposed Conti image of Seat as well.

Eh I just realize that I talk like I have a business case for Seat sia. Pai seh, really appreciate Seat's styling suddenly hence very passionate. [:p]

(edited)

In the 1980s, Holden uses Nissan engines as Australian Law ban the use of leaded petrol and Nissan engines was just a temporary solution.

Currently none of the models uses Nissan engines, Holden have access to GM and Opel and thus uses their engines.

Edited by Razer_Blaze

hi bros,

just my take.

it's probably VW's global branding strategy. not all of their brands appear in all markets. in such a small and restricted one like singapore, where the lower bracket market has been covered (albeit ineffectively) by skoda, there really isn't a need to introduce yet another cousin to cannibalise themselves.

↡ Advertisement