Local IT talent in short supply?

Windwaver

Been seeing this 3 times in a row on news.

Is it really that bad?

During my time, nobody even cares about IT people. The only IT people around are foreigners let in by our generous system and all the locals were kicked out of the market.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Actually is not foreigners throw out locals in IT industry, but is because locals tend to don't want to do IT.  So they have no choice but to bring in.  IT is a job that requires one to constantly upgrade with new technology and skill, as old technology gets obsolete and so the past experience counts for little.  I have seen many young people study IT but the vast majority shun it as a career.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

When I worked in a MNC, a certain floor was all IT people, all Chinese locals.

By the time I left (17 yrs later), the whole floor was filled with dark skin FTs.

I wonder whether all the local IT people passed away or something.

• Praise 4

What kind of IT talents are we talking about?

So many kinds.

IT tech support

Coders

Datacenter maintenance

?

Is this a case whereby our local IT students are not up to par?

I knew two "IT" students who worked in my company as production helpers during their term break. I don't see how are they going to be able to setup a network system or do coding or data mining.

Simple job like resetting password for forgetful colleagues, restore Microsoft words or excel because colleagues itch hands, to me, don't count as IT professional.

IT technical staff is treated like SMRT engineer ...

high stress, long working hours and lowly appreciated ..

and worst low pay ... simi senior engineer probably earn less than the Marketing Manager that look good and talk cock sibei tok kong

• Praise 5

depends on where you land...

My previous employer, the IT very good life one.

Computer got problem? Ask user to CTR ALT DEL. Report write "user problem".

Troubleshooting, ask end users to do testing and video it for their perusal. What they need to do is send our video shoots to head office. HO said it's not the application and their server problem; it's local telco problem. There.... the ball rolls around the world many times before they do something...

After I left the company and join another one, I realised the HARD TRUTH. Even the web-based ERP application is damn fast... where got local telco problem, user problem, only Singapore office got this problem's problem........

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

I think it all boils down to the pay ... if can employ at a much lower pay, a company will do that ...

so, no local will take up the low pay, hence all the FTs come in ...

chicken and egg issue ...

yup ... it's all boils down to pay ... traditionally IT dept is considered a "cost centre" ... so there you go ...

with more and more cloud service is being offered by conglomerate

IT experts probably worked for company that offered cloud service

their pay will be pushed down further compete with FT working locally or reside in homecountry

I think it all boils down to the pay ... if can employ at a much lower pay, a company will do that ...

so, no local will take up the low pay, hence all the FTs come in ...

chicken and egg issue ...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

I think should benchmark against our ministars' payscale since if IT rosak, your SMRT phone, cumputer, meowTV, Netfcuk will all rosak, leading to hole cuntree rosak too. Cuntree rosak, gone case, where got need ministars anymore? So, who is more important? [:p]

• Praise 1

I think previously FT spoiled the market with low pay during the little or no regulations on widening the floodgates. Now companies face manpower crunch becos of the floodgates restrictions. FT have gone home and past IT ppl had settled down on other jobs or doing other stuff...so left this big hole to fill. Who is keen now to jump into this hole?

Who's fault is it?

• Praise 2

Hellow.... we cannot create blame culture hor.... [laugh]

I think previously FT spoiled the market with low pay during the little or no regulations on widening the floodgates. Now companies face manpower crunch becos of the floodgates restrictions. FT have gone home and past IT ppl had settled down on other jobs or doing other stuff...so left this big hole to fill. Who is keen now to jump into this hole?

Who's fault is it?

• Praise 4

When I worked in a MNC, a certain floor was all IT people, all Chinese locals.

By the time I left (17 yrs later), the whole floor was filled with dark skin FTs.

I wonder whether all the local IT people passed away or something.

Your company improved on the lighting system that's why you see more "dark skins"

RIP to those whom passed away of course.

This is job evolution or revolution, you can decide.

Lifetime job guaranty no more  

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

IT is a tough line to be in and a tough job to stay on. Too often operations are outsourced over time and staff get retrenched. With such instability, it is no wonder people do not want to get into IT.

Bottom line is - find a better, stable job.

• Praise 6

Hellow.... we cannot create blame culture hor.... [laugh]

History has shown that we do not just blame others we vote for others too.

Prease tell us more on what not to do...if that's their job.

IT is a tough line to be in and a tough job to stay on. Too often operations are outsourced over time and staff get retrenched. With such instability, it is no wonder people do not want to get into IT.

Bottom line is - find a better, stable job.

totally agree.  Even in niche areas like healthcare and the like, they look towards outsourcing and there is no real job stability

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4