• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic | 303 praises

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:49 PM

SG_Stig
  • Premium member
    SG_Stig
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Thinking of getting the Redmi Note 3 $299. It has a 4000mAh battery with dual sim function. Alternative would be note 5 but a bit out of budget.

Any grabcar/uber drivers here? What are your phone you used for work? The huawei I purchase from Grabcar cmi.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:25 AM

Yamapi
  • Yamapi
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What's your budget range? 

The new Oppo R9 has quite similar specs as Redmi Note 3. 5.5-inch Full HD screen, 64GB + dual sim hybrid SD card slot, 4GB ram, fingerprint scanner. But battery only 2850mAh and the price is $649 which is rather high

Edited by Yamapi, 03 May 2016 - 12:27 AM.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

Stooky
  • Stooky
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Can consider Samsung A-series smartphones. Dual sim and decently specs. Screen size ranges from 4.7 to 5.5 inch. Price should be around $550 for the A7. 

http://www.samsung.com/sg/galaxya2016/

Blueray praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:52 AM

SG_Stig
  • Premium member
    SG_Stig
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Can consider Samsung A-series smartphones. Dual sim and decently specs. Screen size ranges from 4.7 to 5.5 inch. Price should be around $550 for the A7.

http://www.samsung.com/sg/galaxya2016/

Ah Samsung a7 is running on a sd615 which is weaker than the redmi note 3 sd650. Looks like the Redmi is my only bet now. Would be perfect if it had removable battery like it's predecessor

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:00 AM

Raubern
  • Raubern
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

get redmi note 3. cheap and good

SG_Stig praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Android + big screen (most Android phones are btw) + dual sim = bad battery life. Will never = good battery life.

Edited by Kangadrool, 03 May 2016 - 08:19 AM.

Angcheek, Jamesc and Blueray praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i use redmi note 3 and dropped countless time where the metal casing has deformed at quite a few spots. :ouch-it-hurts:

yesterday accidentally threw on the table and bounced off on to the floor.

this is what happened when phone too cheap and it still works...  :=B:

Albeniz, Janling3 and Doppel praised this
do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

redmi note 3 confirm can last whole day, but if you are in the car most of the time, it can always connect to power source.

SG_Stig praised this
骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

zipping
  • zipping
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

ASUS ZenFone Max.

Cost $249

Battery 5000mAH

Dual SIM also

Here are the specs:

https://www.asus.com...specifications/

Ingenius, Albeniz and Sweeney praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

Porker
  • Porker
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Doesn't the S7 come with dual sim?

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

Nzy
  • Premium member
    Nzy
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i use redmi note 3 and dropped countless time where the metal casing has deformed at quite a few spots. :ouch-it-hurts:

yesterday accidentally threw on the table and bounced off on to the floor.

this is what happened when phone too cheap and it still works...  :=B:

Ya. Xiaomi phones seem to be indestructible. My wife throws hers around and sometimes my kids will get hold of it and drop it. Countless times already. Nothing happened to the screen. My mum dropped her redmi 2 in the lift shaft from second floor and it survived also. Lol.

Janling3 and Doppel praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

SG_Stig
  • Premium member
    SG_Stig
    1st Gear
    Author Image

ASUS ZenFone Max.

Cost $249
Battery 5000mAH
Dual SIM also

Here are the specs:
https://www.asus.com...specifications/

Wah almost got this until I see it's running on SD410. Same as my current Redmi note 1. Lags a ton. :(

redmi note 3 confirm can last whole day, but if you are in the most of the time, it can always connect to power source.

I hope the phone can at least last 7 hours on Google map without charging hahaha a bit impossible. Any good USB 2.1a adapter for car that still has a spare cigg lighter for my FM transmitter to recommend?

Edited by SG_Stig, 03 May 2016 - 04:25 PM.

Posted 03 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

Wah almost got this until I see it's running on SD410. Same as my current Redmi note 1. Lags a ton. :(
I hope the phone can at least last 7 hours on Google map without charging hahaha a bit impossible. Any good USB 2.1a adapter for car that still has a spare cigg lighter for my FM transmitter to recommend?

get a 10,000mAh or 16,000 mAh power bank from xiaomi, confirm can last you whole day on Google map   [laugh]

骑白马的不一定是王子,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

SG_Stig
  • Premium member
    SG_Stig
    1st Gear
    Author Image

get a 10,000mAh or 16,000 mAh power bank from xiaomi, confirm can last you whole day on Google map [laugh]

Hahaha I bought 3 of the 10k powerbank from xiaomi. Comes with free delivery for purchases more than $50 :D

Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

ins1dious
  • Premium member
    ins1dious
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

This is not a recommendation 😀 just a fyi.

I'm not an Android user.... but if there's one thing that might make me switch... it's something like the Fairphone 2... It's a middle-rung dual-sim phone and for it's specs, expensive

But if you consider the efforts the company is taking to keep the components ethically sourced and the easy repairability... I think the initial high cost (when compared to its specs) can be recouped over time.

Maybe not as slick as Project Ara... but still a worthwhile project 👍 

Here's the iFixit teardown. Really beautiful how they've gone about designing the phone.

Here's the company link giving its specs. 

2BDriver praised this

Posted 03 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

Nolicense
  • Premium member
    Nolicense
    Supercharged
    Author Image

This is not a recommendation 😀 just a fyi.

I'm not an Android user.... but if there's one thing that might make me switch... it's something like the Fairphone 2... It's a middle-rung dual-sim phone and for it's specs, expensive

But if you consider the efforts the company is taking to keep the components ethically sourced and the easy repairability... I think the initial high cost (when compared to its specs) can be recouped over time.

Maybe not as slick as Project Ara... but still a worthwhile project 👍 

Here's the iFixit teardown. Really beautiful how they've gone about designing the phone.

Here's the company link giving its specs. 

Very interesting.

Like PC components, can you upgrade each module? (I see suggestion on the camera in the teardown)

I know software wise may be drivers and what can throw a wrench in the upgrade...

It may be cheaper in the "long" run if you do not change phone every 1, 2 or maybe 3 years, which is a dam long time in smart phone cycle.

I'm still using Sammy S3. and S7 is coming out soon.

I don't know what the S7 extra features will entice me to upgrade, I hardly use the S3 to its full feature anyway.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 01:17 AM

Dumb
  • Premium member
    Dumb
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I will never ever buy another Lenovo hand phone even if it's dirt cheap. It's the worst phone I had.

Nolicense, Lala81, Opel17, Doppel and Jamesc praised this

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

ins1dious
  • Premium member
    ins1dious
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Very interesting.

Like PC components, can you upgrade each module? (I see suggestion on the camera in the teardown)

I know software wise may be drivers and what can throw a wrench in the upgrade...

It may be cheaper in the "long" run if you do not change phone every 1, 2 or maybe 3 years, which is a dam long time in smart phone cycle.

I'm still using Sammy S3. and S7 is coming out soon.

I don't know what the S7 extra features will entice me to upgrade, I hardly use the S3 to its full feature anyway.

For the Fp2... the objective wasn't upgradeability... but rather repairability... so aim was to be able to fix a broken display, camera, mic, headphone, battery with little or no tools and at minimal cost.

With this phone... only upgrades we can reasonably expect is the camera module and battery... the logic board itself has the radio, RAM and CPU chips soldered in... so doubt anything can be done there.

👍you using an S3 when an S7 is already out. Longest for me was from iPhone 4 -> 5s... a 2.5 yr gap.

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

Nolicense
  • Premium member
    Nolicense
    Supercharged
    Author Image

For the Fp2... the objective wasn't upgradeability... but rather repairability... so aim was to be able to fix a broken display, camera, mic, headphone, battery with little or no tools and at minimal cost.

With this phone... only upgrades we can reasonably expect is the camera module and battery... the logic board itself has the radio, RAM and CPU chips soldered in... so doubt anything can be done there.

👍you using an S3 when an S7 is already out. Longest for me was from iPhone 4 -> 5s... a 2.5 yr gap.

I like the idea that the logic board with its components all integrated in one piece, can be replaced.... leading to the possibility that the entire logic board can come preloaded with android updates (albeit major revisions will be slower now) and newer hardware specs.

I gave up upgrading the android software OTA, used toolkit to update with polish release. I'm a novice at that.

Updated from ICS to JB. Not sure if I can update my S3 beyond that. and might be sluggish if I do.

But the Fp2 objective is not that and rightly as you said.

Every time I see new phones with the UI changing, it takes time to get used to. I'm a dinosaur with an S3.

Planned obsolescence on the software side might get us eventually. this not compatible or cannot run on old hardware.. 

Same thing happening in the PC realm. Hardware improve steeply until the last decade and sort of slowed. Software just keep bloating and bloating since Win98.

Ahhh... talking of this makes me want to sleep....

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:55 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

just get the xiaomi.

Big screen should be helpful for u when u driving.

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: android, battery, gps, best and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users