Rental car accident - pay excess?

Feelliixx

Feelliixx,

Legal issues aside, be a man about it and pay the owner of the WRX. Then it's up to you how you would like to recover the cost from your friend. If you don't pay up, then I guess you'd better simply follow the advice of one the bros here : skip town for a while. If your friend refuses to pay you (even if in instalments), let him skip town.

Be thankful nobody got killed in the accident. Can't bear to imagine the consequences of that accident if someone got seriously injured or killed.

↡ Advertisement

sounds like prisoners' dilema. Let's call rentor A and rentor's fren B.

This assumes A and B are RESPONSIBLE adults and Both are willing to compensate the owner.

However, in this event if there is a loophole. As in both found out bout their limited liabilities and knowing well that the owner has little avenues to pursue this claim any further

It boils down to "Frenship vs S$20K"

What would you do if you are A and B? and that B dunno the owner?

All 3 walk away partially burnt? How to distribute fault?

If B walks away, then the equation becomes even tuffer to solve. Will A walk away too cos 20K is too much to bear?

We live in a very realistic world and these are realistic considerations showing potentially the uglier side of man.

Turbocharged
my wife, always ask me to lend my car to her sis, bro who just pass their lisence to drive. i always reject her. they only student, their parent quite poor, what if they crash my car, who going to pay for me? myself [sweatdrop]

next time before u lend ur car to anyone, most important thing is he got $ to pay or not if anything hapen, and will he pay or not even he got $? [laugh]

owner sue also no use lah, make both of u bankrupt, he gain nothing, and still need to pay lawyer...

Only 2 persons drive my car. Me and my father. My father is a driving instructor for 30 years and mine is a lau pok kar. I am quite particular over this.

It never pays when you lend your car to a friend.

My excuse to friends how want to borrow my car: "Insurance doesn't cover".

Supersonic

same here. My wife's 2 younger brothers used to ask to borrow my car. I don't even bother to give excuse - I just say No.

(edited)

True [sly] A & B can just ignore the owner. or pay 20K.

There are no Black & White stating the owner lend TS his car.

It will depends on TS character/personality now.

TS can easily ignore the owner and

result in loss of friendship. OR pay the 20K.

TS's frd who crashed the car, i doubt is a responsible guy.

He can just leave TS in this deep trouble and walk off.

TS is indeed in a very difficult and fragile state now.

Edited by Melissa

....be a man about it and pay the owner of the WRX. Then it's up to you how you would like to recover the cost from your friend....
Actually a lot depend on the nature of the rental agreement. Is the rental more on friendship or $$$. If it's the latter, TS just have to treat as a biz transaction. After all, the REX did make money out TS and unless he has explained to TS the full terms and conditions of it....I don't see why TS has to pay for the repair.

But if the rental is out of friendship, then TS has to do more to help with the cost.

Neutral Newbie

Looks like I am more fortunate than you guys ..... my wife's elder brother always ask if we want to use his car when he travels ... and his trips are usually for a few weeks [:p]

can only say u take a stone to whack ur own leg. why lent something to others when it doesnt even belongs to u? [shakehead]

and tat kuku friend of urs..kay kiang go corner the car until it crash. and nvm tat, gave such an irresponsible comment of "i no $$ let him sue me". u, at the same time is only concerned about if u would be sued to recover the money. sigh. ur rex fren really jia liat.

if both of u are working, there is always a way out. go take up a personal loan from GE money EziCash which can loan u up to 4 times ur mthly salary; so long u haf a mthly of more then S$1.6k.

be a MAN, face the music.

Hi all,

Would like to seek everyone's advice as i'm so lost on what to do now. The story goes as follows,

I rented a WRX from my friend for 2 days. It was a verbal rental agreement basis, no black and white. On the first day after supper, while we were about to head home, my friend requested to drive the car back. I rejected him repeatedly however he persisted. So on the account of friendship and trusting he would be careful, i allowed him to drive back. I warned him several times NEVER EVER to corner the car because the tires are semi worn out. However on the way back the worst case scenario happened; he lost control of the car during a corner and crashed it up a kerb into the bushes. Damage is pretty severe with the four wheels (Including axle, brake calipers, rims) heavily damaged. The front , back bumper and the boot were totally gone. However i believe the car chassis is still pretty much intact. We were quoted 20+ k for the repair.

The worst case is the owner only has 3rd party insurance which was true as i checked up with AXA. (I think its illegal to have 3rd party insurance for a Rex on loan)

I'm so lost now because my friend claims responsibility but is unable to pay up, and his dad can't help him too.

I'm like the middleman and I really dunno what to do. For the sake of friendship, i lent him in the end despite rejecting him repeating because i trusted he would take responsibility and drive carefully. And now I'm so afraid the owner would lose his cool and find ways to settle with me. My friend tells me to await the owner to sue him and thus able to settle in court beacuse he really doesn't have the cash.

But now the problem is that the owner would come looking for me. I'm so worried.

Is there any way the owner could sue me or my friend? Is it possible?

Hope u learn a lesson thru this bro.

Even if its a very good friend of mine I always tell them to be responsible if anything goes wrong b4 i let them drive my car.

Better to be careful say everything clearly then act.

But ur buang frend also brave. 1st time drive the car and kup corner liao...

If take up GE money loan that means his salary must be $5k to be able to take up loan of $20k to repay. Or convince the party who crash to take half loan each, so each bugger $2.5k monthly salary.

How much is the interest for this GE money? Maybe I can lend TS instead... [sly]

Hi all,

Would like to seek everyone's advice as i'm so lost on what to do now. The story goes as follows,

I rented a WRX from my friend for 2 days. It was a verbal rental agreement basis, no black and white. On the first day after supper, while we were about to head home, my friend requested to drive the car back. I rejected him repeatedly however he persisted. So on the account of friendship and trusting he would be careful, i allowed him to drive back. I warned him several times NEVER EVER to corner the car because the tires are semi worn out. However on the way back the worst case scenario happened; he lost control of the car during a corner and crashed it up a kerb into the bushes. Damage is pretty severe with the four wheels (Including axle, brake calipers, rims) heavily damaged. The front , back bumper and the boot were totally gone. However i believe the car chassis is still pretty much intact. We were quoted 20+ k for the repair.

The worst case is the owner only has 3rd party insurance which was true as i checked up with AXA. (I think its illegal to have 3rd party insurance for a Rex on loan)

I'm so lost now because my friend claims responsibility but is unable to pay up, and his dad can't help him too.

I'm like the middleman and I really dunno what to do. For the sake of friendship, i lent him in the end despite rejecting him repeating because i trusted he would take responsibility and drive carefully. And now I'm so afraid the owner would lose his cool and find ways to settle with me. My friend tells me to await the owner to sue him and thus able to settle in court beacuse he really doesn't have the cash.

But now the problem is that the owner would come looking for me. I'm so worried.

Is there any way the owner could sue me or my friend? Is it possible?

May i know how old are u as well as your fren who crashed the car?

Obviously ur fren who crashed the car dun have the concept of responsibility. Who knows maybe when he was BEGGING you to lend it to him, he already has the notion that "Hey it's not my car! I can whack it and get away with it" So much for a "fren",u're better off without them.

As most of the people here advised,it's illegal to rent out cars, so REX owner technically is in the wrong, but since it;s a verbal agreement between u and the REX owner and no black and white or watsoever, he can also easily turn the tables on you and claim that you stole his keys somehow or other and lodge and police report against you. And u have no proof to show that he willingly rent the car to you. Coupled with the fact that the keys are in ur possesion, and the crashed happened when u are in possesion of the car makes your situation even more complex.

I would advise that u attempt to settle the issue quickly and queitly between u , ur fren and the owner of the rex IN BLACK AND WHITE and end it before some party starts to punk out. Sorry to tell you but, end of the day, U are the one at the losing end if this matter is not resolved.

Nina

You must be feeling very remorseful now...

anyway firstly get a 2nd opinion on the repair, maybe cheaper...

and for u, u just have to ensure ur fren (or urself) compensate him, either by loan or by installment.

20k not a very big sum...loan 5 yrs should be 400+ per month.

↡ Advertisement