Rental car accident - pay excess?

Feelliixx

Hypersonic

Sorry to hear this, but I feel more for the owner than you and your kei kiang friend. Even if you both can compensate hime the 20K and get it repaired, the accident car is not the same anymore. Body value will be lower if trade in. Certain parts that are knocked back will not fit tightly as before, may have more creaking and cracking.. Are you guys going further compensate for the loss of body value and some inconvenience caused? I guess not, since you guys are already so worried about the 20K.

↡ Advertisement

I think is very important to know how to say "No" to reject request(s),

although sometimes really quite difficult to come out from own mouth.

Be my gurantor == Sorry No

Lend me your car or borrow money from me == No

(edited)
Hi all,

Would like to seek everyone's advice as i'm so lost on what to do now. The story goes as follows,

I rented a WRX from my friend for 2 days. It was a verbal rental agreement basis, no black and white. On the first day after supper, while we were about to head home, my friend requested to drive the car back. I rejected him repeatedly however he persisted. So on the account of friendship and trusting he would be careful, i allowed him to drive back. I warned him several times NEVER EVER to corner the car because the tires are semi worn out. However on the way back the worst case scenario happened; he lost control of the car during a corner and crashed it up a kerb into the bushes. Damage is pretty severe with the four wheels (Including axle, brake calipers, rims) heavily damaged. The front , back bumper and the boot were totally gone. However i believe the car chassis is still pretty much intact. We were quoted 20+ k for the repair.

The worst case is the owner only has 3rd party insurance which was true as i checked up with AXA. (I think its illegal to have 3rd party insurance for a Rex on loan)

I'm so lost now because my friend claims responsibility but is unable to pay up, and his dad can't help him too.

I'm like the middleman and I really dunno what to do. For the sake of friendship, i lent him in the end despite rejecting him repeating because i trusted he would take responsibility and drive carefully. And now I'm so afraid the owner would lose his cool and find ways to settle with me. My friend tells me to await the owner to sue him and thus able to settle in court beacuse he really doesn't have the cash.

But now the problem is that the owner would come looking for me. I'm so worried.

Is there any way the owner could sue me or my friend? Is it possible?

You have done wrong and you must take the responsibility to pay for the damages. Dont think of finding all kinds of fault to evade responsibility. Never mind whether the car is under financing with 3rd party insurance. For 3rd party your friend who rented you the car cannot claim any insurance. Even if it is fully insured, the insurance is void cause he rented you the car. You have to compensate him for the damages.

In turn, your friend who you lent the car should also be honorable to pay you for the damages. He is irresponsible to tell you to let the owner sue him. The owner cant sue him. The owner can only sue you. But he may not be able to cause he has committed an offence renting you the car in the first place. Anyway why must you make the owner suffer more by suing you. By whatever means, pay up. If you can't afford you shouldnt rent the car in the first place.

Edited by Dumb

u lucky no need to pay for the damaged kerb n bushes if not more problems

Too bad damages if any to third party propety also not covered by insurance cause owner rented out his car.

I got into an accident today. It's a rental avante. I was exiting the highway and I brake too late and hard. The car locked up the wheels and skidding towards a honda SUV. 

I gave my particular to the driver and take photos of the damages and we both drove off. The car I bang has bumper damaged mine... The battery leaked, radiator bend, bumper and bonnet totaled. 

Anyway, if the insurance access from the rental company is $5000, I just need to pay $5000 and the rental company will settle the damages for both my rented avante and the Honda? 

5th Gear
(edited)

Rental car died died must buy $0 excess insurance if the excess ridiculous high like $5000 . If $500 no need to buy at all as most travel insurance already cover .

Edited by Char

Turbocharged
(edited)

I got into an accident today. It's a rental avante. I was exiting the highway and I brake too late and hard. The car locked up the wheels and skidding towards a honda SUV. 

I gave my particular to the driver and take photos of the damages and we both drove off. The car I bang has bumper damaged mine... The battery leaked, radiator bend, bumper and bonnet totaled. 

Anyway, if the insurance access from the rental company is $5000, I just need to pay $5000 and the rental company will settle the damages for both my rented avante and the Honda? 

Hyundai Avante has ABS. The wheels should not lock. Are the tyres bald? If so, can claim liability against the car rental co.

Edited by Vinceng

Weird that this thread got merged. Tyres bald or not once i took the car its my responsibility to check the car prior to driving off which i did not. Anyway the other party agreed on private settlement. Both car will be sent to workshop for repair. Thanks all for the info

Excess in auto insurance is payable when you claim ownself insurance.

If the other party claim your insurance, you DO NOT need to pay excess lor if you do not claim your own insurance.

Repair both cars, amount will be below 5k ??

Turbocharged

Excess in auto insurance is payable when you claim ownself insurance.

If the other party claim your insurance, you DO NOT need to pay excess lor if you do not claim your own insurance.

You sure about that? 

I always thought you have to pay the first part of any claim on your insurance

Twincharged

Rental car died died must buy $0 excess insurance if the excess ridiculous high like $5000 . If $500 no need to buy at all as most travel insurance already cover .

Ya, I just bought travel insurance, it cover for excess for rental car up to 1k. 5k excess for rental car is very expensive sia. Young and just get licence?

Twincharged

Ya, I just bought travel insurance, it cover for excess for rental car up to 1k. 5k excess for rental car is very expensive sia. Young and just get licence?

I think he driving for Uber. From one of the threads, he was asking which phone good for uber/grabcar. Those cheap rentals their excess very high.

Twincharged

I think he driving for Uber. From one of the threads, he was asking which phone good for uber/grabcar. Those cheap rentals their excess very high.

Wow, so high, better don't get into accident. Not worth it lor. Money fork out more then money earned.

Yeap. Rental car have bad condition so its always good to check the car condition before signing on the dot. Check tyres brakes etc. Well... Expensive lesson learnt. I'm thankful I'm still alive typing this now.

↡ Advertisement