Rental car accident - pay excess?

Feelliixx

Yeap. Rental car have bad condition so its always good to check the car condition before signing on the dot. Check tyres brakes etc. Well... Expensive lesson learnt. I'm thankful I'm still alive typing this now.

full time uber/grab?

now still ho tan ah

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Yeap. Rental car have bad condition so its always good to check the car condition before signing on the dot. Check tyres brakes etc. Well... Expensive lesson learnt. I'm thankful I'm still alive typing this now.

Suspect the car you rent basic model no abs. Wheel locked and hit, so most likely no abs. Car condition also a contributing factor but the main thing is the abs. You must be stepping brake too hard. For car without abs, cannot step too hard else brake will lock one. If step on the sweet spot the braking distance can actually be shorter then cars with abs.

full time uber/grab?

now still ho tan ah

buey pai lah. 

Suspect the car you rent basic model no abs. Wheel locked and hit, so most likely no abs. Car condition also a contributing factor but the main thing is the abs. You must be stepping brake too hard. For car without abs, cannot step too hard else brake will lock one. If step on the sweet spot the braking distance can actually be shorter then cars with abs.

its literally like bicycle... you squeeze the brakes the wheels lock up. first time driving a car with no abs. man... dont wanna talk about it alr. heartache

Twincharged
(edited)

buey pai lah.

its literally like bicycle... you squeeze the brakes the wheels lock up. first time driving a car with no abs. man... dont wanna talk about it alr. heartache

When rent car must also look at what car leh. If those basic model like older Toyota corolla altis ( newer Toyota altis have abs by default I think so) , older Honda city etc, those budget car, some may not have abs one. Rental car company also want to spend as little as possible on cars and get the most basic model for some without abs. Of coz those higher model one will surely have abs as thats the manufacturer default come with that already. Edited by Yewheng

Hi, just got into a minor accident earlier on where a driver bumped into my rear. He mentioned that his car was on rental from a car rental company.

Can I find out whether if claim procedure should apply? Claiming against private car owner is quite straight forward. Is there complications if claiming against rental company?

Hi, just got into a minor accident earlier on where a driver bumped into my rear. He mentioned that his car was on rental from a car rental company.

Can I find out whether if claim procedure should apply? Claiming against private car owner is quite straight forward. Is there complications if claiming against rental company?

do as per normal. let the workshop sort it out.. with video n photo evidence, go to any workshop and they will do the necessary for u.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

No worries,bang from behind,usually can claim,the driver will pay the excess to the rental company...upon return the car..

He should had offer to pay for your repair as the insurance excess for the rental car is extremely high. He pay for your damage will be less than 1k unless you driving those expensive cars, and if you claim the insurance, he'll need to pay excess of up to at least 2k.

• Praise 1

He should had offer to pay for your repair as the insurance excess for the rental car is extremely high. He pay for your damage will be less than 1k unless you driving those expensive cars, and if you claim the insurance, he'll need to pay excess of up to at least 2k.

maybe he/she didn't know? lol but then I learnt to let the workshop do the job directly if other party do not offer to compensate on the same day.

Had a minor chain accident previously and I was the first car. Last car offered to compensate 2nd and my car but he pang seh me 2 times no show and demanded to see the assessment result by going down to workshop with me prior to meetup. In the end I told him I change from report only to claim and realise he didn't make any report so my AD couldn't proceed the claim on him (save lawyer fees). That was after a month from accident.

In the end went to any workshop with my accident report, left the car there, took a replacement car. The next day, I got my car back. Should had done so much earlier.

To think the fella got the cheeks to text me that he is being gentleman and trying to resolve the problem and I claimed from him when he was busy with work and forgotten about meeting me. Probably I don;t understand why would one forget he got involved in accident when he walks to his damaged vehicle and drives off.  [laugh]

Just claim as per normal.

No "if", no "buts".... Just go workshop and do up the repairs and let them process the claim ....

The last time i claimed against rental car.  It took insurance company 1 month to sort out the bureaucracy before starting any work.  Driver of the rented car did not make a report to rental/insurance company.

Turbocharged

maybe he/she didn't know? lol but then I learnt to let the workshop do the job directly if other party do not offer to compensate on the same day.

Had a minor chain accident previously and I was the first car. Last car offered to compensate 2nd and my car but he pang seh me 2 times no show and demanded to see the assessment result by going down to workshop with me prior to meetup. In the end I told him I change from report only to claim and realise he didn't make any report so my AD couldn't proceed the claim on him (save lawyer fees). That was after a month from accident.

In the end went to any workshop with my accident report, left the car there, took a replacement car. The next day, I got my car back. Should had done so much earlier.

To think the fella got the cheeks to text me that he is being gentleman and trying to resolve the problem and I claimed from him when he was busy with work and forgotten about meeting me. Probably I don;t understand why would one forget he got involved in accident when he walks to his damaged vehicle and drives off.  [laugh]

This kind of people deserves to start his NCD from scratch at 0%. Applause!!!

On 1st sept 16... was hit at rear by a grab private car.. while i stopped at red light at seletar aerospace park area... weather was still drizzling after rain n road was clear n no car behind wen i stopped den soon felt bump. Turned on hazard light n came out. Wen i came out den other party also came out. He had reversed his vehicle b4 i came out n mus hv thought i blur tat i din realise kena hit.

Saw bumper no dent but light scratches. Took pics of bumper n drivers particulars. He admitted vehicle not his but rented from grab a limo.i wen to make accident report at workshop cus policy states compulsory within 24 hours n to protect my 50% ncd.workshop say surveyor will 100% wun agree repair scratches n my rear door now cant autolock but surveyor will say wear n tear.The other driver nvr even contact to ask abt damages n im sure he din make report to insurance. Im innocent here but dun wan to get screwed by surveyor n other party.wat do i do now.. pls help wif advise.. thks

On 1st sept 16... was hit at rear by a grab private car.. while i stopped at red light at seletar aerospace park area... weather was still drizzling after rain n road was clear n no car behind wen i stopped den soon felt bump. Turned on hazard light n came out. Wen i came out den other party also came out. He had reversed his vehicle b4 i came out n mus hv thought i blur tat i din realise kena hit.

Saw bumper no dent but light scratches. Took pics of bumper n drivers particulars. He admitted vehicle not his but rented from grab a limo.i wen to make accident report at workshop cus policy states compulsory within 24 hours n to protect my 50% ncd.workshop say surveyor will 100% wun agree repair scratches n my rear door now cant autolock but surveyor will say wear n tear.The other driver nvr even contact to ask abt damages n im sure he din make report to insurance. Im innocent here but dun wan to get screwed by surveyor n other party.wat do i do now.. pls help wif advise.. thks

how old is the car? If never hit the door, door cannot unlock then is wear and tear.

As for scratches, how minor can go and report, and if proven right, they will repair. I suggest to go to another workshop. This one too minor and they can't earn much. Alternatively, go and repair yourself since scratches.

just took a car rental from london SIXT. when i book online i opt out for £0 excess insurance because i have travel insurance that covers $2500 (sgd) car rental excess and SIXT website indicates £1000 excess for accident and theft.

nabei ... when i collect the car this morning, the agent arm-twist me to take the £0 insurance because the £1000 excess is for "each" damage

for example - there was a dent in front bumper (even sibei minor, probably cost £200 to fix), they will charge £1000 and at the same time there was a dent on the door ... another £1000. if 3 damages found = £3000 ... 5 damages = £5000

what-the-fish !!! ... anyway no point to argue and at the end sign up for £0 excess with another £200 for 10 days rental ...

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement