Best value saloon car under $100K

Victor68

Twincharged

Features, yeah probably, could it be because dealers like KM and C&C have higher margins selling Korean cars? I mean Koream cars and Jap cars are about the same price now.

I used to drive a Kia Cerato Forte and problems come in at the 4th year. Brake cranking unresolved even when I sold it off at 5.5 yrs, keyless entry to driver door spoilt twice in 4 yrs, the FC is horrible. Yeah maybe newer models like the K3 and Hyundai Elantra have improved but Reliability cannot be achieved/perceived by consumers in just a few years. It takes much more than that. Jap makes like Toyota, Honda cemented their reputation since the 80‘s. Beat that? Well, maybe in 10 yrs time. Ps: I drove a Mazda and Kia but not anymore, switched to conti

I guess you got a lemon. Based on those motoring websites reviews and other surveys and research that others have done, Hyundai's and Kia's reliability have already exceeded the Japanese already. The oldest Korean car I have driven was a 20 year old Hyundai Elantra. The one before it was renamed the Avante. Conti even worse in terms of reliability for me. Of all the 3 cars we have, my family's conti car go the workshop the most.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Coz they read the threadstarter requirements (5 ppl to sit in) and thought Jazz/Fit is ok too?

but Jazz/ Fit has smaller boot compared to Saloon car. It's a different category. That's why some people like me will always prefer Saloon car over small hatchback car (like Jazz/ Fit, Picanto, Yaris).  [cool]

(edited)

Am I weird? I don't find Mazda 3 appealing

Dunno what's the hype about. The drive and interior yes! One up the rest.

Looks wise i think the elantra looks so much nicer.

Agreed with you.

Guess that everyone has their own preferences.

For myself, both Mazda3 and Elantra does not make it to my list of best value saloon car.

My choice is VW Jetta ($99K now)

For its futuristic look in both exterior and interior, better looking than most Jap and Kimchi car.

Good fuel consumption, spacious interior, excellent brake, quiet, German engineering.

Edited by Imac

Agreed with you.

For myself, both Mazda3 and Elantra does not make it to my list of best value saloon car.

For its futuristic look in both exterior and interior, better looking than most Jap and Kimchi car.

Good fuel consumption, spacious interior, excellent brake, quiet, German engineering.

I just checked and Jetta is now selling at $104,300. It's definitely more premium than Japanese/ Korean car, but with the recent bad reputation and scandal, I would try to stay away from this brand... for now.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/volkswagen-still-bugged-by-consumer-complaints

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772

Agreed with you.

Good luck to you...

I just checked and Jetta is now selling at $104,300. It's definitely more premium than Japanese/ Korean car, but with the recent bad reputation and scandal, I would try to stay away from this brand... for now.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/volkswagen-still-bugged-by-consumer-complaints

I will never choose a jetta. I am still on manual transmission, albeit a six speed kimchi one

Between new Elantra n K3, wats the OMV like? Tq for sharing

K3 sgd14,600

Elantra sgd14,700

All at base model.

Hypersonic

Mazda 3 is always appealing with its price and looks, but the interior ergonomics , especially the leg space is poor. This is usually something that people realise after buting it.

the mz3 sedan is ok. Not as spacious as the altis etc but decent.

The rear headroom of the mz3 HB is low

Agreed with you.

Heard lots of horror stories regarding Volkswagen after sales service.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Jetta got futuristic look ?? I find the new Altis has a slightly futuristic look actually.

the most modern and best looking (to me) of the saloon cars is the altis.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

I guess you got a lemon. Based on those motoring websites reviews and other surveys and research that others have done, Hyundai's and Kia's reliability have already exceeded the Japanese already. The oldest Korean car I have driven was a 20 year old Hyundai Elantra. The one before it was renamed the Avante. Conti even worse in terms of reliability for me. Of all the 3 cars we have, my family's conti car go the workshop the most.

Not really. My BIL's Kia Picanto goes to the workshop more often than my other BIL's ex mitsubishi lancer. And the lancer was an older car.

My altis also less issues throughout my ownership.

But all the issues don't affect the day to day running of the car. Just leaks here and there. Like almost a leak yearly for the last 3 years. And its about 7-8th year yet. My BIL himself also said he would avoid getting another kia if he can afford it.

Could be it's the entry level model. But i won't label it as more reliable definitely.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

That why I already said..."everyone got their own preferences". No right or wrong if you like Jap, Kimchi, Conti or even Tiong car. 

Check Saturday ST, HOME Page B3...Jetta is selling at $99,800.

Not really. My BIL's Kia Picanto goes to the workshop more often than my other BIL's ex mitsubishi lancer. And the lancer was an older car.

My altis also less issues throughout my ownership.

But all the issues don't affect the day to day running of the car. Just leaks here and there. Like almost a leak yearly for the last 3 years. And its about 7-8th year yet. My BIL himself also said he would avoid getting another kia if he can afford it.

Could be it's the entry level model. But i won't label it as more reliable definitely.

Bro, my KIA forte was worse, when I step on my brakes on a downslope, I hear a crank sound and the car doesnt stop. Go to step twice. Brought to workshop was told no issues, brought to outside workshop, they said they tighten some brake issue and it got better for only 3-4 wks and returned. Damn sian

Hypersonic

That why I already said..."everyone got their own preferences". No right or wrong if you like Jap, Kimchi, Conti or even Tiong car. 

Check Saturday ST, HOME Page B3...Jetta is selling at $99,800.

Agreed.

Truth is most cars now are at worst a 3 stars out of 5.

Many are 3.5 stars and above. Just gotta find the one that ticks the boxes for you  [;)]

but Jazz/ Fit has smaller boot compared to Saloon car. It's a different category. That's why some people like me will always prefer Saloon car over small hatchback car (like Jazz/ Fit, Picanto, Yaris).  [cool]

Hmm depends on what you are going to put in the boot ba. Hatchback you have a more functional boot space, esp when you fold down the rear seats. I was able to transport a 2 seater sofa from IKEA in a Fit. The boot opening is bigger and you can transport larger stuff.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1