Best value saloon car under $100K

Victor68

Can you make up your mind or not?

Your thread is about saloon car and now you are talking about cars that are NOT saloons?

??????????

lol.

not only that. of the 4 i think only vezel below 100k?

↡ Advertisement

Tio lor...

TS is confused. Need to start a few more threads liao.

lol.

not only that. of the 4 i think only vezel below 100k?

• Praise 1

but i agree with him lah.

no need just stick to  saloon.

i think main criteria is under 100k bah.

Tio lor...

TS is confused. Need to start a few more threads liao.

K3 for 88k seems the most value for money actually.

another 10 k more for vezel may not be worth it.

Hypersonic

but i agree with him lah.

no need just stick to  saloon.

i think main criteria is under 100k bah.

K3 for 88k seems the most value for money actually.

another 10 k more for vezel may not be worth it.

the base K3 also very basic right.

I remember when i was kaypohing when my BIL was shopping for car, the higher end version is significantly more expensive than the base model (higher end version being the ventilated seats and 6 airbags etc).

the base K3 also very basic right.

I remember when i was kaypohing when my BIL was shopping for car, the higher end version is significantly more expensive than the base model (higher end version being the ventilated seats and 6 airbags etc).

even the higher end k3 is less than 100k.

Vezel is noisy and the interior materials used are not up to standard. I think the new Civic uses better materials. But the design is appealing though.

I think it is going to be very challenging to debate on look/style because beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe we should focus on technical aspects of the car, finishes, gadgets, OMV, etc.

I do have a few in mind but would like to hear from others their opinion and experiences. Just to share, the following cars look attractive to me when COE goes down hill.

1) Honda Vessel

2) Sabaru XV

3) Citroen Picasso.

4) Renault Flounce

Although Altis, Hyundai and Kai are all great, I find they have overpriced and their interior finishes are just too basic. Maybe they have been selling well that they forgotten others are catching up. From advertisements I saw oversea or even youtube of similar models, the specs are so different from what ADs are bringing in here.

A very classic example is Honda Vessel and HRV. Just look at the margins.

Maybe it is timely for car owners of Singapore give them a wake up call.

1) Honda Vezel [Comfortable SUV, pick up is not bad for a 1.5L, aa compared to HRV and Subaru XV. The seats are comfortable, can put ur bag underneath your seats. New model with Honda sensing makes it more attractive with the additional features. Downside? 1/10 cars on the road are Vezels and I dont fully trust PI and their so called warranty, period.

2) Sabaru XV [slow pick up, I dont really like the look, its subjective. Comfort wise its good]

3) Citroen C4 Picasso [Very comfortable ride, gd pick up, panoramic view from driver seat. Superb fuel efficiency and diesel is cheap. Downside? Potential reliability issue. Be sure to opt/top up for longer free servicing.

4) Renault Fluence [sorry i dont like the looks and comfort is not great. Only upside is that its diesel and fuel efficiency is good]

In all fairness, I test drove all the cars above before I chose my ride.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

even the higher end k3 is less than 100k.

yeah that's why more on the roads now.

But 7k more for additional equipment, most singaporeans won't bite. Most people except us here in the forums, don't really care about airbags lol  [laugh]

Hmm a cursory search on Sgcarmart seems like Elantra is a better deal  [smash]  [thumbsup]

It has 6 airbags and traction control as standard in it's cars. Price starts from 90k.

Is there something wrong with the sgcarmart equipment list? Cos K3 higher end model still only shows 2 airbags?

Turbocharged

But 7k more for additional equipment, most singaporeans won't bite. Most people except us here in the forums, don't really care about airbags lol [laugh]

Hmm a cursory search on Sgcarmart seems like Elantra is a better deal [smash][thumbsup]

It has 6 airbags and traction control as standard in it's cars. Price starts from 90k.

Is there something wrong with the sgcarmart equipment list? Cos K3 higher end model still only shows 2 airbags?

K3 has 2 specs, EX (lower) and SX (higher). EX used to be 2 airbags and SX used to be 6. Now SX has been downgraded to 2 airbags as well. So the sgcarmart equipment list is correct for current SX models..

K3 has 2 specs, EX (lower) and SX (higher). EX used to be 2 airbags and SX used to be 6. Now SX has been downgraded to 2 airbags as well. So the sgcarmart equipment list is correct for current SX models..

They had the SX Sports model about 6 months back. I guess that was the highest specs......

bro, check w u, u think tucson worth renewing? mine's 08. though fc not fantastic, but drive is comfy n parts can get fr stockist cheaper than jap.

personally find it a waste to scrap cos interior like new n no issues w engine, gb n coolin system.

Hi Bro,

If money is not a concern, get a new car.

I am thinking of renew, because COE PQP is likely at its lowest since a long time. Economics wise, it makes sense for me.

I do worry if after renew, issues may crop up. Afterall, it would be 10 years or more. You have more time to consider, since your car is an 08.

Try to relax your right foot on 1st and 2nd gear, u will see improvement of fuel. It's a heavy car, so the inertia is high... :)

Drive safe! Cheers;

bro, check w u, u think tucson worth renewing? mine's 08. though fc not fantastic, but drive is comfy n parts can get fr stockist cheaper than jap.

personally find it a waste to scrap cos interior like new n no issues w engine, gb n coolin system.

Hi Bro,

I am thinking of renew, because COE PQP is likely at its lowest since a long time. Economics wise, it makes sense for me.

I do worry if after renew, issues may crop up. Afterall, it would be 10 years or more. You have more time to consider, since your car is an 08.

Try to relax your right foot on 1st and 2nd gear, u will see improvement of fuel. It's a heavy car, so the inertia is high... :)

Drive safe! Cheers;

But 7k more for additional equipment, most singaporeans won't bite. Most people except us here in the forums, don't really care about airbags lol  [laugh]

Hmm a cursory search on Sgcarmart seems like Elantra is a better deal  [smash]  [thumbsup]

Thought i saw Hyundai Elantra promo is at $84,999?

Hi Bro,

Drive safe! Cheers;

somethings to note about renewing COE

1. if renew 5yr only. die die scrap after 5 yrs. cannot renew.

2. you will lose your parf value ie. paper value. so much take that into account when calculating your depreciation

3. you need to take into account the addition roadtax for extended coe cars. iirc, it's additional 10% per annual up to 150%.

4. additional cost of maintenence driving a more than 10 yr old car. more and more issues will surface and the addition cost will probably add few k a year. common issues, suspension. aircon etc are all wear and tear items that will breakdown over time.

please make an informed choice.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Thought i saw Hyundai Elantra promo is at $84,999?

i just read off official pricelist available at SGCM. I'm not looking to buy, so i dunno exact price.

Actually, the very first batch of K3s were the ones with the highest specs.

Factory HID, cruise control, 6 airbags, auto headlight, auto dimming mirror, etc etc etc.

They had the SX Sports model about 6 months back. I guess that was the highest specs......

• Praise 1

somethings to note about renewing COE

1. if renew 5yr only. die die scrap after 5 yrs. cannot renew.

2. you will lose your parf value ie. paper value. so much take that into account when calculating your depreciation

3. you need to take into account the addition roadtax for extended coe cars. iirc, it's additional 10% per annual up to 150%.

4. additional cost of maintenence driving a more than 10 yr old car. more and more issues will surface and the addition cost will probably add few k a year. common issues, suspension. aircon etc are all wear and tear items that will breakdown over time.

please make an informed choice.

Thanks! Good advice!

Yes, difficult decision indeed.

Likely will renew 10 Years. Which means car will be 20 Years OLD, when i next HAVE to scrap it!! :))

However, my consideration is more to drive for maybe another 5, 6 or 7 years, and scrap it then to get back remaining COE, or sell at reasonable price to someone whom needs a transport.

5 years renewal is too tricky, because what if GB, AC or Engine need Overhaul in year 3?

IF i were to renew my Tucson, scrap $9K, PQP $46K, Total "outlay" $55K, which is $5.5K per year, seems reasonable. The increase in road tax will not be a deal breaker, compared to new car prices today. Unless i get a smaller car, that is why i have been researching for "cars under $100K"... :) Hence, jump on this topic.

My car is in really good condition now, because most parts have been replaced. No oil or water leak, good torque from strong and healthy engine. Many ppl complain about FC for this car, i find it reasonable at abt 10km/l. 60% highway 40% city. Spare parts prices are really very reasonable. Timing belt and water pump change costs less than $400, include parts & labour at old mechanic's shop.

That is why, i am able to maintain the car in tip top condition.. :) Drive up North, cruise at 130kmh still stable and not stressed. Tall height provides adequate view and absorbs rough roads nicely. Best of all, maybe as a BONUS, not scared get stolen loh.. Hahaha...

• Praise 1

hmm.

you also need to take into account the scarcity of spares in future.

in the next 5-10yrs. the new tuscon roll out now. the older model EOL. spares will be harder to find too.

personally, i'm also grappling with the same decision. havent decided yet.

pro and cons either way. 

Thanks! Good advice!

Yes, difficult decision indeed.

Likely will renew 10 Years. Which means car will be 20 Years OLD, when i next HAVE to scrap it!! :))

However, my consideration is more to drive for maybe another 5, 6 or 7 years, and scrap it then to get back remaining COE, or sell at reasonable price to someone whom needs a transport.

5 years renewal is too tricky, because what if GB, AC or Engine need Overhaul in year 3?

IF i were to renew my Tucson, scrap $9K, PQP $46K, Total "outlay" $55K, which is $5.5K per year, seems reasonable. The increase in road tax will not be a deal breaker, compared to new car prices today. Unless i get a smaller car, that is why i have been researching for "cars under $100K"... :) Hence, jump on this topic.

My car is in really good condition now, because most parts have been replaced. No oil or water leak, good torque from strong and healthy engine. Many ppl complain about FC for this car, i find it reasonable at abt 10km/l. 60% highway 40% city. Spare parts prices are really very reasonable. Timing belt and water pump change costs less than $400, include parts & labour at old mechanic's shop.

That is why, i am able to maintain the car in tip top condition.. :) Drive up North, cruise at 130kmh still stable and not stressed. Tall height provides adequate view and absorbs rough roads nicely. Best of all, maybe as a BONUS, not scared get stolen loh.. Hahaha...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1