The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

https://youtu.be/zWD3Odu5Nz4

nice article on old and new alfa.

Look at the plate. Looks like a ex coe alfa  [:p]

as the video mentioned, Ferrari has given input. read Fiat's direction is to end this collaboration and Alfa will go it alone. but fact is Alfa has benefited greatly from whatever passes down from Ferrari, especially the gearbox side. even the cars have similar problems! i sometimes go to Ferrari threads to pick out selespeed faults. 

as the video mentioned, Ferrari has given input. read Fiat's direction is to end this collaboration and Alfa will go it alone. but fact is Alfa has benefited greatly from whatever passes down from Ferrari, especially the gearbox side. even the cars have similar problems! i sometimes go to Ferrari threads to pick out selespeed faults.

I wonder why Alfa wants to go it alone... they don't sell enough cars to justify development of their own engines and gearboxes right?
  • Praise 1

I wonder why Alfa wants to go it alone... they don't sell enough cars to justify development of their own engines and gearboxes right?

Fiat decides. The entire Ferrari, AR, Maserati are owned by Fiat.

Brace yourselves, potential Alfisti-to-be

I was at EA today to test drive the Giulia Veloce with a friend. All i can say is, the Veloce doesn't disappoint.

Press the start button at the steering wheel and the needles sweep up and down in an opening ceremony. Ok, maybe it's nothing special to some of you; my car has it too but somehow it adds to the atmosphere because its an ALFA. The infotainment display is clear, bright and high contrast. Check out the Alfa badge.. :wub:

post-1798-0-70318800-1519285552_thumb.jpg

Moving off, it is smooth and ride is pliant. The driver's seat and front passenger seat is semi bucket and very well padded and comfortable unlike the lousy 3 series. Gear changes without fuss and response was snappy. Noise insulation is good. The ride is comfortable even at Dynamic mode with the adaptive suspension stiffening. Didn't have a chance to test the cornering capabilities as the route didn't allow so.

Acceleration is brutal (at least for me who've never owned a 5.7s car before), and on Dynamic mode i can hear the blips and feel the "jerk" when shifting just like how the selespeed behaves, but much milder. When decelerating and downshifting, the throttle blips too but not to the effect of the farting sound from the DSGs. From 0 km/h and flooring off the lights, there's still a slight delay but it's more like 1/2 a second only. The paddle shifters are such a joy to use, the tactility is just nice and Alfas must be driven with paddle shifters for the maximum experience.

The car is fully loaded.. Blind Spot Monitoring, Collision Prevention Assist, Lane Departure Warning, front 4 pot Brembos with 330mm discs, 19" signature wheels, Adaptive Suspension, Passive Entry (driver's seat moves back when you open the door), Apple Carplay / Android Auto, Harman Kardon Audio, MECHANICAL rear LSD (Q2), reverse camera amongst others.

Waiting to try the Super when it is ready in March. For now, the Veloce is priced rather attractively. Come July there will be additional 10k VES increase due to the 5th pollutant being factored in. 

Eagerly waiting for the first few owners of the Veloce to post their pix and FR soon!

Below are pix of the Giulia "Base" Trim, not the Veloce. There's a "Super" trim which has 2 tail pipes. Rims are not this; it will be 16" for the Base and 17" for the Super.

post-1798-0-67567200-1519286428_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-04788800-1519286441_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-07354300-1519286447_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-25585000-1519286469_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-44438600-1519286535_thumb.jpg

post-1798-0-87720800-1519286600_thumb.jpg

• Praise 7

The brake disc front and rear looks tiny.

Thats for the Super trim. It's about 305mm and paired with 17" rims.

The one in picture is 19" that's why it looks small.

This is the Veloce. Bigger.

post-1798-0-96472000-1519288081_thumb.jpeg

Nice review.

Overall looks like a good package.

But I still prefer the colored logo on the steering wheel. It has no selespeed transmission, right?

Nice review.

Overall looks like a good package.

But I still prefer the colored logo on the steering wheel. It has no selespeed transmission, right?

I think it has torque converter ZF 8 speed box
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1