The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

(edited)

Alfas... Alfas... it's a love hate relationship.

I had a GT which I bought 2nd hand at 1.5 years old and that's after intense research from 3 friends of their experience with theirs and was convinced enough to buy it.

within a year of owning it I had selespeed stuck at reverse gear refusing to engage to fwd ( solved by recycling the gear in some sequence learnt from alfa forum ) , ignition coil malfunction, eats engine oil ( have to top up every 2 weeks with agent telling me you don't know meh? ), aircon sensor will suddenly change the settings to full hot anytime it deems fit ( this one was blamed by agent due to my solar film interfering with the sensor so I removed the film but it still happens. gave them a shelling and they changed sensor but to no avail. live with it ) and lastly before parting ways the engine was leaking oil.

Later did I realised that to Alfas hardcore these are termed inconviences.

would I buy another Alfas? yes for the driving pleasure and sweet engine notes it gave me but only if it's my 2nd car not to be used by wife to run the family or else I can't imagine the "inconviences getting into her"

you learnt alot about cars after driving Alfas but put that aside, I have good memories of the driving pleasures and in my own words and opinion a truly đrivers' car. Maybe just maybe one day I would be able to own one soon.

Edited by Jubilong
↡ Advertisement

Alfas... Alfas... it's a love hate relationship.

I had a GT which I bought 2nd hand at 1.5 years old and that's after intense research from 3 friends of their experience with theirs and was convinced enough to buy it.

within a year of owning it I had selespeed stuck at reverse gear refusing to engage to fwd ( solved by recycling the gear in some sequence learnt from alfa forum ) , ignition coil malfunction, eats engine oil ( have to top up every 2 weeks with agent telling me you don't know meh? ), aircon sensor will suddenly change the settings to full hot anytime it deems fit ( this one was blamed by agent due to my solar film interfering with the sensor so I removed the film but it still happens. gave them a shelling and they changed sensor but to no avail. live with it ) and lastly before parting ways the engine was leaking oil.

Later did I realised that to Alfas hardcore these are termed inconviences.

would I buy another Alfas? yes for the driving pleasure and sweet engine notes it gave me but only if it's my 2nd car not to be used by wife to run the family or else I can't imagine the "inconviences getting into her"

you learnt alot about cars after driving Alfas but put that aside, I have good memories of the driving pleasures and in my own words and opinion a truly đrivers' car. Maybe just maybe one day I would be able to own one soon.

The inconveniences seemed a little too much for the driving pleasure derived. I am sure the Alfa you had & most of the ones we still have ploughing our roads are nice to drive & usually come with a nice engine note compared to the others.

But I am quite sure we can get the same amount of driving pleasure (or close) or positive audible experiences in the German lineup albeit costing a little more (or even the Japanese lineup) but they are usually 300% more reliable & efficient than the Alfa range (anyhow estimate one).

Turbocharged

Don't talk.

Don't hear.

Don't say.

Just drive.

And be amazed.

Everything else is secondary.

I thought one of the Alfa charm points is the hearing part

to me the giula doesn't look nice compared to the 156 or 159.

I don't see the reason to own one. 

I doubt I will be fully agreed with, but I think the 159 is one of the most beautiful consumer Alfas. Something about the slim three-eyed headlamps.

Bro by 'hearing' means 'don't hear all the negative talk' .

And yes, hear my Alfas roar everyday and thanking God for Guiseppe Busso.

Hypersonic

I doubt I will be fully agreed with, but I think the 159 is one of the most beautiful consumer Alfas. Something about the slim three-eyed headlamps.

159 is sibei chioh.  [thumbsup] It's one of the most chioh sedans ever.

• Praise 2

Fans call problems "character".

I call it denial.

I totally agree lol. Alfa Romeos are best bought second hand and only if you don't intend to sell. The dealer will makan you chialat chialat if you are ever forced to sell like I did last time.

• Praise 1

Hehe if let you choose boring usual Japanese make vs Alfa at a slight premium, which will you choose?

Then again, if let you choose Alfa vs German marque like Mercedes Benz, which will you choose, if affordability no issue?

If can only afford 1 daily driver then it has to be Japanese.

If affordability is no issue (means more than 1 car) then whatever make also can.

• Praise 1

*shrug* my Alfa broke down in the middle of the junction twice. The selespeed gearbox jumped to neutral and could not be swapped out of it. I promised myself I will never put my family in such a high risk position ever again. My wife and little ones are more precious than 'passion', whatever that means lol

For some people, getting from A to B is soulless, boring etc. But if a car can't even bring you from A to B safely, doesn't it already fail its basic promise??

The inconveniences seemed a little too much for the driving pleasure derived. I am sure the Alfa you had & most of the ones we still have ploughing our roads are nice to drive & usually come with a nice engine note compared to the others.

But I am quite sure we can get the same amount of driving pleasure (or close) or positive audible experiences in the German lineup albeit costing a little more (or even the Japanese lineup) but they are usually 300% more reliable & efficient than the Alfa range (anyhow estimate one).

• Praise 4

u would think that rust would be the biggest topic .

I had one that the Door hinge broke on an alfa 33

33 shouldn't have rust problems. 

Usually it's the older Alfas from the 80s and before like Alfasud, GTV, Spider, etc. 

Supersonic

*shrug* my Alfa broke down in the middle of the junction twice. The selespeed gearbox jumped to neutral and could not be swapped out of it. I promised myself I will never put my family in such a high risk position ever again. My wife and little ones are more precious than 'passion', whatever that means lol

For some people, getting from A to B is soulless, boring etc. But if a car can't even bring you from A to B safely, doesn't it already fail its basic promise??

Haha....know exactly what u mean.

I had an Alfa Sprint & Giulietta in my younger days. Lots of "character". After I offloaded it to another sucker who thot they were buying the best drive in the world (not!), I bought a Honda.

Life was blissful after that.

• Praise 5

No, you can't. [:p]

• Praise 1

Yes, I do agree, those THREE eye headlamps is really very unique and I like it a lot as well.

is there any other cars that has THREE EYE headlamps ?

also, does anyone know how much is 4C selling in SG ? roughly? how many you think are running on SG roads?

thanks!'

• Praise 1

I kinda like the looks of the new giulia. All the lines and curves comes together very nicely. And it comes with a mt as well. I dont own any alfa before but driven a couple before (friends'). They sold theirs within 3 yrs of ownership complaining too may issues. But i must say the driving feel is good! Wonder what will the price becin sg?

• Praise 1

I kinda like the looks of the new giulia. All the lines and curves comes together very nicely. And it comes with a mt as well. I dont own any alfa before but driven a couple before (friends'). They sold theirs within 3 yrs of ownership complaining too may issues. But i must say the driving feel is good! Wonder what will the price becin sg?

When I first saw pics of the car months back, I felt that the design was a little insipid after the beautiful 156 and 159. The stance and overall shape was somewhat like a rounded and more modern BMW E90 (to me). But after a while you notice the cohesiveness of the detailing, how the headlamps/grille/bumper seem to gel together, it begins to grow on you.

All UK-bound cars will only receive the ZF 8-speed AT; Alfa can't make a RHD with manual box. I suspect we won't be seeing MT in our Guilias too.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I had an Alfa Sprint & Giulietta in my younger days. Lots of "character". After I offloaded it to another sucker who thot they were buying the best drive in the world (not!), I bought a Honda.

Thanks for teaching me a valuable lesson  [thumbsup]

If can only afford 1 daily driver then it has to be Japanese.

If affordability is no issue (means more than 1 car) then whatever make also can.

Yup. My point is I highly doubt all these Alfa Romeo fanbois will stick to their Alfas if affordability issue is not so significant. I'd look for equally powerful, nice to drive rides up the price ladder that is also efficient and reliable. But this is just my opinion.

They are just choosing the best cars in the price segment they can afford, which is nothing wrong given our local context of cars being exorbitantly expensive. But I feel that the low end Alfa Romeos in SG you find usually, gives up too much on efficiency, reliability & others while not providing enough in return - Power, the drive and looks.

The high end Alfa Romeos, yes.

Bro thanks for making my day  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Yup. My point is I highly doubt all these Alfa Romeo fanbois will stick to their Alfas if affordability issue is not so significant. I'd look for equally powerful, nice to drive rides up the price ladder that is also efficient and reliable. But this is just my opinion.

They are just choosing the best cars in the price segment they can afford, which is nothing wrong given our local context of cars being exorbitantly expensive. But I feel that the low end Alfa Romeos in SG you find usually, gives up too much on efficiency, reliability & others while not providing enough in return - Power, the drive and looks.

The high end Alfa Romeos, yes.

Bro thanks for making my day  [thumbsup]

If the affordability of a  2nd car wasn't an issue, with the needs of my family addressed by a 1st car, it'd be an Alfa for me.

Nothing to do with being one of the best cars in the price segment, though typically appear that way to me.