The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nostalgia

Interesting that both Hong Seh and Alfa Singapore are bringing this in. Guess they have to really compete on pricing. Alfa Singapore claims that theirs is tropicalised

↡ Advertisement

I would imagine that if not sure of the reliability and yet are keen to try. Perhaps waiting for a face lifted model would be better as all the kinks would have being fixed.

But buying a car is never a pragmatic approach.

You go, you test drive, u on.

Have got myself into trouble once.

Go without an intent to buy. Waited for car to be service. Sales , probably low on quota. Ask me if I keen on a car. I say I already have one.

SE say, sayang, this is a good car to consider. Why dont you test drive. No obligation since u already here and waiting for your car.

Sounded quite logical. When and test drive.

Come back sign on the dotted line... sales make a compelling offer on the take in price.

Only people with cash to splash can make such impulsive buys leh... I want also cannot leh...

The inherent problem is that it is too costly for many Singaporean drivers to really diversify and try owning a variety of car makes here. Hence, most, if not all, depend on hearsay and "advice" that they can glean from the Internet, car review magazines, or even the older generation.

Fact is, times are constantly changing, and so is technology. Why has Alfa garnered such a strong, loyal fan base if it were truly problematic and catastrophic?

I have personally never owned an Alfa, but I have owned (and still am owning) a Fiat Bravo which I have been told to my face that it would be problematic, costs of servicing would be high, etc. All are dumbfounded when I share with them the amount of servicing that I fork out, along with the most expensive parts changes that I have to do, i.e. front lower arms, bearings, timing belt changes, etc.

I can say that I am a satisfied Italian car owner, despite its limited options for experienced mechanics, and have been one for coming to 8 years.

But truly, if cars were as affordable in Singapore as Australia or Europe, then everyone would have an opportunity to own one to experience it themselves and form their own opinions.

Till then, just enjoy the privilege of being able to drive in Singapore and be kind to one another on the roads.

Cheers,

T

Many owners of such cars always declare that they just live with the unreliability and hence take the repairs as part of the cost of owning the car... not to mention the inconvenience... probably why these brands are still alive... and probably why sometimes owning a car is more about the emotion rather than the logic...

For me, I don't have the time, money or inclination to be so inconvenienced... so something reliable for me... honestly I like Alfa designs... they really have something that even the German marques don't have... but I can't live with the inconvenience... and costs...

Interesting that both Hong Seh and Alfa Singapore are bringing this in. Guess they have to really compete on pricing. Alfa Singapore claims that theirs is tropicalised

I understand that the price range is between 175k to 300+++k for the different variants EA is looking to bring in. Eagerly waiting.

Such wide range. If spending $300k, it's like deciding to buy 1 high specs one or 2 low specs one.

Such wide range. If spending $300k, it's like deciding to buy 1 high specs one or 2 low specs one.

Shrug. I suppose EA will make the case that you are spending 300++k on an engine that is Ferrari-inspired (though it is really engineered), and you get 505 bhp. More bang for the bucks compared to say M3? Haha.

But now that I have somewhat calmed down. I wonder given this price for a QV, would I add a bit more for M3 instead. Hmmm......

Edited by Uninitiated

Same with the other lux compacts:

BMW 318i @ $175K vs BMW M3 @ $395K

MB C180 @ $180K vs MB AMG C63 @ $488K

But now that I have somewhat calmed down. I wonder given this price for a QV, would I add a bit more for M3 instead. Hmmm......

But the QV meets or beats the M3 in performance and handling, and if it costs $80K lesser (not a bit - can buy a Space Star for the daughter)....why not?

• Praise 1

But the QV meets or beats the M3 in performance and handling, and if it costs $80K lesser (not a bit - can buy a Space Star for the daughter)....why not?

Hmmm that's true. Good point there!

After 12 years with Italian cars, 4 years of which were with my 159 until scrap and still Italian now, courtesy of a Fiat Punto Evo, I'm going to wait a few more years for feedback if the tropicalised Giulia is really tropicalised as they claim before even attempting a test drive [laugh]

My 159 with the soft touch plastics melted under our sun while the Punto with the cheaper hard plastics is resistant [rolleyes] Not even going to talk about all the issues with my Selespeed in the last year before scrap. I'm relieved Alfa decided to go with a conventional autobox now.

After 12 years with Italian cars, 4 years of which were with my 159 until scrap and still Italian now, courtesy of a Fiat Punto Evo, I'm going to wait a few more years for feedback if the tropicalised Giulia is really tropicalised as they claim before even attempting a test drive [laugh]

My 159 with the soft touch plastics melted under our sun while the Punto with the cheaper hard plastics is resistant [rolleyes] Not even going to talk about all the issues with my Selespeed in the last year before scrap. I'm relieved Alfa decided to go with a conventional autobox now.

don't believe the tropical thing. even the warranty which is factored into the price is useless cos chances are things won't break down or even if they do, will be much cheaper than the warranty premium u pay. 

Alfa has its quirks, like certain warning lights on for nothing and such. for me, i can live with such things. but if it's terminal, which is the problem im facing now and worse, the workshop can't seem to do it right for me, i take it as a lack of competent personnel. 

and what choice do i have? 2 workshops in the entire country that does Alfa. Agent support no longer relevant as car is old. if u drive a German, u can bring yr business elsewhere if one workshop isn't up to it. 

Overall, it's a great car. if u google Ferrari issues, they are pretty similar especially on the selespeed side. Ironically, selespeed never really was a huge problem for me other than jerks and stuff which i like anyway. 

my main problem now is few times of changing alternators and battery got problem, almost 4 times in workshop this past month. i don't swear at the car. It's the lousy mechanics. too bad. 

Shrug. I suppose EA will make the case that you are spending 300++k on an engine that is Ferrari-inspired (though it is really engineered), and you get 505 bhp. More bang for the bucks compared to say M3? Haha.

probably more of maserati. Ferrari uses dual wet clutch gearboxes. ZF is maserati. 

According to a SE from EA, they will be launching the Giulia together with their relocation to Leng Kee showroom in November.

Hey bro, is your Punto Evo manual or selespeed? Used to have a first generation Punto 75sx manual. Had a lot of fun and learnt a lot about the mechanical aspects of cars.

As for the sticky plastic in the 159, it is also common with other conti makes (BMW included). I removed them by wiping away with brake fluid. Takes effort but solves the issue.

The QV is expected to sell at $370k here.

Seems like it. Understand that the Giulia is already in their showroom now.

HS is PI. The Veloce variant with 280hp is in the showroom.

• Praise 1

Hey bro, is your Punto Evo manual or selespeed? Used to have a first generation Punto 75sx manual. Had a lot of fun and learnt a lot about the mechanical aspects of cars.

As for the sticky plastic in the 159, it is also common with other conti makes (BMW included). I removed them by wiping away with brake fluid. Takes effort but solves the issue.

Hi bro, how's your 159 doing? I'm driving a manual. I think TTS only brought in manual for the Punto Evo. Anyway, I find manual more enjoyable for small cars and I have a phobia of those selespeed type gearboxes now  [laugh]

I wrapped some of the melted plastics with stickers but those around the handbrake are always sticky no matter how much I wipe, didn't try the brake fluid though  [laugh]

Hi bro, how's your 159 doing? I'm driving a manual. I think TTS only brought in manual for the Punto Evo. Anyway, I find manual more enjoyable for small cars and I have a phobia of those selespeed type gearboxes now  [laugh]

I wrapped some of the melted plastics with stickers but those around the handbrake are always sticky no matter how much I wipe, didn't try the brake fluid though  [laugh]

The car is good but showing aging wear and tear. 8 mths to end of COE. [:|]

To put in context, a 3 series costs from 170+ to 400+

don't believe the tropical thing. even the warranty which is factored into the price is useless cos chances are things won't break down or even if they do, will be much cheaper than the warranty premium u pay.

Alfa has its quirks, like certain warning lights on for nothing and such. for me, i can live with such things. but if it's terminal, which is the problem im facing now and worse, the workshop can't seem to do it right for me, i take it as a lack of competent personnel.

and what choice do i have? 2 workshops in the entire country that does Alfa. Agent support no longer relevant as car is old. if u drive a German, u can bring yr business elsewhere if one workshop isn't up to it.

Overall, it's a great car. if u google Ferrari issues, they are pretty similar especially on the selespeed side. Ironically, selespeed never really was a huge problem for me other than jerks and stuff which i like anyway.

my main problem now is few times of changing alternators and battery got problem, almost 4 times in workshop this past month. i don't swear at the car. It's the lousy mechanics. too bad.

probably more of maserati. Ferrari uses dual wet clutch gearboxes. ZF is maserati.

Life is not just about EA, AS and AC.

There are other workshops that Alfa owners go to.

I would imagine that if not sure of the reliability and yet are keen to try. Perhaps waiting for a face lifted model would be better as all the kinks would have being fixed.

But buying a car is never a pragmatic approach.

You go, you test drive, u on. 

Have got myself into trouble once.

Go without an intent to buy. Waited for car to be service. Sales , probably low on quota. Ask me if I keen on a car. I say I already have one.

SE say, sayang, this is a good car to consider. Why dont you test drive. No obligation since u already here and waiting for your car.

Sounded quite logical. When and test drive.

Come back sign on the dotted line... sales make a compelling offer on the take in price.

I am an optimist at heart, and I believe in giving anything one try. The thing here is, with cars in Singapore - i never just test drive the car once. If I am seriously considering about a car, I would make it a point to test drive it at least 2-3 times. Some people might find it ludicrous but if I am not 100% convinced - I have to be able to walk away.

From the scenario you have painted above, I agree that test-driving is a very emotional process for many. My UK friends affectionately call their performance cars their "smile-makers" - and I believe we want to have that smile too. But much as it is painful - we have to be able to tell ourselves to walk away when it obviously seems like that we are bending over backwards just to get it.

But once we do it - don't regret. Because imagine if you DIDN'T sign on the dotted line, given the compelling offer, I'm almost certain that you would have rued the miss opportunity to change to a brand new car.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2