LTA probes recent spate of Sonata taxi accidents

Stooky

Even if it was stepping on wrong pedal, if you look at the videos, some of the cars had quite a few seconds to get up to speed. If you step on the accelerator by mistake, it doesn't even take 1 second to lift your foot off! Seriously their reflexes so numb?

And if it really is SUA. Unless the brake system failed, within that few seconds why never step on the brake? There is no production car whose brake can't outbrake the engine esp at low speeds.

Sudden unintended acceleration: LTA finds no mechanical fault

An LTA spokesman said it has been "working closely with the Traffic Police, ComfortDelGro and Komoco Motors, the authorised dealer for Hyundai vehicles in Singapore, to look into the recent cases of alleged sudden unintended acceleration involving Hyundai Sonata diesel taxis".

Knowing the level of technical competence of LTA and TP. Their working closely means send questions to Komoco who send questions to manufacturer to certify got problem or not. Manufacturer certify whatever means whatever.

Edited by Ake109
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Anyone who can step on the wrong pedal should not be driving at all. Take away their license, no pity.  It's the very very basics of driving, 2 f**king pedals also can mix up. 

• Praise 2

Just give them a yoke.

Pull to accelerate.

Pull and hold to maintain speed.

Release to slow down / stop.

Yoke only operate with two hands on it.

No more handphone or handjob driving = no more handgun.

:XD:

Edited by Kangadrool

Manual is safer for driver but passengers have hard time liao.

MT will increase drivers' fatigue.  That's why taxi company get auto.

Otherwise, it is cheaper for taxi company to use MT.

MT will increase drivers' fatigue.  That's why taxi company get auto.

Otherwise, it is cheaper for taxi company to use MT.

MT will increase drivers' fatigue and may prone to accident. But now they changed to auto, still prone to accident?! Lol.

MT will increase drivers' fatigue and may prone to accident. But now they changed to auto, still prone to accident?! Lol.

The buzz word in my office is AGILE.  If 1 is not agile, 1 is OUT.

It clear shows that taxi driver in Sg is NOT agile.

• Praise 1

Easiest solution, go back to manual gear for taxi...  :grin:

in this case, with unintended acceleration or stepping on wrong pedal, no different even on manual gear. 

• Praise 1

The buzz word in my office is AGILE.  If 1 is not agile, 1 is OUT.

It clear shows that taxi driver in Sg is NOT agile.

Dont know taxi driver here is not agile, or poor driving habit or bo chap.

Turbocharged

in this case, with unintended acceleration or stepping on wrong pedal, no different even on manual gear. 

But chances are, if they are trying to brake, they might clutch in as well, disconnecting engine from the wheels, preventing SUA.

Or not?

• Praise 1

Aiya, LTA only have the skill set to check if your COE expire or not.  Don't expect much,  I think LTA engineers don't even know where is the ECU.

Just look at how that certified the Tesla lor

LTA still can't prove that the problem is not due to electronic and electrical fault. Only able to check the mechanical aspect. Modern cars are controlled by ECU.

• Praise 1

Most taxi drivers have the habit to rev the engine for no reason. They have forgotten to shift to neutral. Once rev hard, turbo kick-in and there is no way to stop. It just force forward until it's hit a stationary object. I have witessed this volvo driver actually rev and hit a motorcycle in the carpark .

Many turbo car's driver actually under estimate the surge force is so great that you're not able to stop in time.

Edited by Tcx607
  • Praise 2

yes, the habit is baffling.

I was once in a Prius and the cabbie decided to rev the engine very hard in the Ion drop off driveway. 

never understood why, just paid my fare and left.

• Praise 3

But chances are, if they are trying to brake, they might clutch in as well, disconnecting engine from the wheels, preventing SUA.

Or not?

I tink I agree with ur clutch is engage logic Edited by FourZero
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Most taxi drivers have the habit to rev the engine for no reason. They have forgotten to shift to neutral. Once rev hard, turbo kick-in and there is no way to stop. It just force forward until it's hit a stationary object. I have witessed this volvo driver actually rev and hit a motorcycle in the carpark .

Many turbo car's driver actually under estimate the surge force is so great that you're not able to stop in time.

Lately I don't sit in taxi because drive ownself. But when in taxis, usually feel like they use much more power or pedal than is necessary just to move a few metres.

[hur]

Got one time I was in back seat and friend in the front seat say the cabbie always floor the pedal. And then somewhat late hard braking.

↡ Advertisement