LTA probes recent spate of Sonata taxi accidents

Stooky

Just give them a yoke.

Pull to accelerate.

Pull and hold to maintain speed.

Release to slow down / stop.

Yoke only operate with two hands on it.

No more handphone or handjob driving = no more handgun.

:XD:

Or can learn from the m113 that i had in NS. Sure won't mix up cos there's only 1 pedal, the accelerator. Step if you want to move forward.

There are also 2 vertical levers that control the 2 tracks (or wheels if applied here): pull them if you want either/both sides to brake.

This means if you want to move forward, don't pull the brake levers at all, and step on the pedal.

If you want to turn right, pull the right lever while stepping on the pedal.

If you want to turn left, pull the left lever while stepping on the pedal.

If want to brake, pull both levers together, and let go pedal.

If like this also cannot, suggest the cab drivers change job go do something else...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The buzz word in my office is AGILE. If 1 is not agile, 1 is OUT.

It clear shows that taxi driver in Sg is NOT agile.

Agile is a methodology. Agile used wrongly in the office will result in a outcome of cheaper better faster safer..

Which will result in a thought process of adding value by working longer hours instead of working better to deliver the right results

• Praise 1

I am curious, while the electronics may cause a car to surge forward suddenly, cant the driver step hard on the brake which is mechanically controlled to stop the car from further movement or at least to slow down the forward speed? The taxi in this accident seemed to have gone wild for extended distance. Anyone who have the knowledge in this area may want to shed some light on how to handle such situations?

Edited by Ct3833

yes, the habit is baffling.

I was once in a Prius and the cabbie decided to rev the engine very hard in the Ion drop off driveway.

never understood why, just paid my fare and left.

Phoon orh yen :XD:

Phoon orh yen :XD:

Boss, Prius boh orh yen one.

But seriously, I fail to understand why taxis like to rev hard in drop off driveways, MSCPs ...  [shakehead]

I am curious, while the electronics may cause a car to surge forward suddenly, cant the driver step hard on the brake which is mechanically controlled to stop the car from further movement or at least to slow down the forward speed? The taxi in this accident seemed to have gone wild for extended distance. Anyone who have the knowledge in this area may want to shed some light on how to handle such situations?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a5206/4344079/

In short

1. Step on brake pedal hard and don't release it, else you won't be able to brake again

2. shift to neutral

3. Shut off engine

Thanks for sharing. maybe the quickest solution would be to turn off engine. Any concerns? 

That is the best,but,when the Car started to lose control,most Driver will be too shock to do this.

• Praise 1

No, taxi driver will come out to protest if it is change to MT..... fatigue, difficult to drive as main reason..... the unspoken reason.... they cannot use the excuse that their taxi ki siao and any how cheong.... they will lost their deposit...  [lipsrsealed]  [rolleyes]

• Praise 1

No, taxi driver will come out to protest if it is change to MT..... fatigue, difficult to drive as main reason..... the unspoken reason.... they cannot use the excuse that their taxi ki siao and any how cheong.... they will lost their deposit...  [lipsrsealed]  [rolleyes]

Basing on the Mandarin narrative, the taxi driver claimed that he did not step on the accelerator. 

• Praise 1

Basing on the Mandarin narrative, the taxi driver claimed that he did not step on the accelerator. 

ya.... with $2k deposit at stake, I will say the same thing. 

• Praise 1

Thanks for sharing. maybe the quickest solution would be to turn off engine. Any concerns? 

Don't ever do that. There was once my car stalled while going down the car park ramp. The steering become heavy and the brakes become hard as both power steering and brake pump not functioning.

I was lucky that the lot right in front of the ramp was empty and I barely stopped the car in time.  That was quite scary. 

• Praise 2

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a5206/4344079/

In short

1. Step on brake pedal hard and don't release it, else you won't be able to brake again

2. shift to neutral

3. Shut off engine

I guess it's easy to say. Most will panick and only slam the brakes but not hard enough or if the power is too great overwhelm the brakes.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1