LTA probes recent spate of Sonata taxi accidents

Stooky

I guess it's easy to say. Most will panick and only slam the brakes but not hard enough or if the power is too great overwhelm the brakes.

I ever encounter the car i am driving hydroplane on wet gravel road with sleeping passenger.

Instead of brake, i hold steering straight and stop acceleration.

When the car slow enough, i only brake then.

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

It used to be the Crown, the Wish,then the Sonata and Renault. What's the next car to be used?

The i40? Prius? All these are the new taxis. Seen some Axio also.

Easy to blame it on the car when it's just an item.

东西是死的,人是活的。

But really so coincidental that almost all of these cases involves the old sonata taxis? Furthermore, they aren't the most common on the road anymore. Many of them scrap already.

• Praise 1

The i40? Prius? All these are the new taxis. Seen some Axio also.

But really so coincidental that almost all of these cases involves the old sonata taxis? Furthermore, they aren't the most common on the road anymore. Many of them scrap already.

Alamak bro, it's the same thing we had a discussion few months back.

For me, I always believe it's the driver stepping on wrong pedal and of course it's easy to blame it on the vehicle. Our LTA concluded that too. There are also cases of Chevy Epica too.

For you, you believe there's really SUA.

Let's just agree to disagree...haha.

Alamak bro, it's the same thing we had a discussion few months back.

For me, I always believe it's the driver stepping on wrong pedal and of course it's easy to blame it on the vehicle. Our LTA concluded that too. There are also cases of Chevy Epica too.

For you, you believe there's really SUA.

Let's just agree to disagree...haha.

Look at this video of Sonata's SUA...do you think it is fake or real ?

https://youtu.be/JsKeeVR1nGg

• Praise 2

Did you read this?

South Korean consumers have lodged complaints about accidents that they believed were caused by sudden unintended accelerations, not necessarily in reverse gear. But past government probes have found no evidence that this was linked to faulty vehicles.

At a public demonstration in 2013, the government tried to reproduce conditions that were believed to cause cars to suddenly accelerate without intention but those attempts failed. The ministry concluded that it was "reasonable" to conclude the phenomenon of "sudden unintended acceleration" does not exist.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2016-05-17/singapore-probes-hyundai-cars-for-sudden-acceleration

Edited by Fcw75

Did you read this?

South Korean consumers have lodged complaints about accidents that they believed were caused by sudden unintended accelerations, not necessarily in reverse gear. But past government probes have found no evidence that this was linked to faulty vehicles.

At a public demonstration in 2013, the government tried to reproduce conditions that were believed to cause cars to suddenly accelerate without intention but those attempts failed. The ministry concluded that it was "reasonable" to conclude the phenomenon of "sudden unintended acceleration" does not exist.

http://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2016-05-17/singapore-probes-hyundai-cars-for-sudden-acceleration

Korean Govt has negative creditability now.

Everything money and power can change.

Except changing the president.

:D

• Praise 1

Taxi uncle dunno how to drive and step wrong pedal, just say step wrong pedal. Blame it on sudden acceleration for what? Actually, stepping on the wrong pedal is because of how the pedals are positioned.

• Praise 2

I ever encounter the car i am driving hydroplane on wet gravel road with sleeping passenger.

Instead of brake, i hold steering straight and stop acceleration.

When the car slow enough, i only brake then.

On highway with no cars in front? It's rains so often in Singapore that you get to practice. I also don't brake. But it's very different for runaway acceleration. You don't get to practice. It's always easy to say when you are not the one at the wheel when it happens. Edited by Mkl22

Korean Govt has negative creditability now.

Everything money and power can change.

Except changing the president.

:D

Yep, everything there is fake.

The SUA, the investigation and even the girls there...haha.

My two cents from observation and experience how this could occur.

1) how the gears are positioned. It is usually P R N D. If you are in neutral and you want to move forward just shift one gear downwards and you move. The problem can occur if you want to reverse and your gear is put at neutral instead of park. When you expect the car to reverse it shoots forward. Cos I noticed sometimes people might leave the gear at neutral instead of park when they never off the engine and it is possible that when they want to move off they happen to want to reverse they lurge forward.

And if the driver freezes the car will just accelerate

2) for those who like to drive barefoot it is possible that the footwear slips under the brake pedal and when you want to slow the car down the brakes don't work since the footwear is under the brake pedal. So cars don't stop when it is supposed to.

3) lastly some drivers will not use the handbrake when they stop to unload passenger because it is a short while. When they turn around maybe to collect fare or anything the legs can slip off the brake pedal and lightly touch the accelerator and the car shoots off.

Don't flame me for thinking too much but it's some observations I have seen and I like to extrapolate to what if ....... so yea I came up with these possibilities.

And I have heard when drivers panic they will just stomp on the brake pedal and if they are unlucky or miscued and stomped on the accelerator instead there you have the SUA.

Edited by Philipkee

My two cents from observation and experience how this could occur.

1) how the gears are positioned. It is usually P R N D. If you are in neutral and you want to move forward just shift one gear downwards and you move. The problem can occur if you want to reverse and your gear is put at neutral instead of park. When you expect the car to reverse it shoots forward. Cos I noticed sometimes people might leave the gear at neutral instead of park when they never off the engine and it is possible that when they want to move off they happen to want to reverse they lurge forward.

And if the driver freezes the car will just accelerate

2) for those who like to drive barefoot it is possible that the footwear slips under the brake pedal and when you want to slow the car down the brakes don't work since the footwear is under the brake pedal. So cars don't stop when it is supposed to.

3) lastly some drivers will not use the handbrake when they stop to unload passenger because it is a short while. When they turn around maybe to collect fare or anything the legs can slip off the brake pedal and lightly touch the accelerator and the car shoots off.

Don't flame me for thinking too much but it's some observations I have seen and I like to extrapolate to what if ....... so yea I came up with these possibilities.

And I have heard when drivers panic they will just stomp on the brake pedal and if they are unlucky or miscued and stomped on the accelerator instead there you have the SUA.

What you wrote makes a lot of sense and likely to the main reason for the accidents.

For my car.. when engine is running and gear at N, if door is opened... continuous beeep... none stop. Even close door still beep, unless close door shift to P. They make it such a way that forces driver to develops habit of putting gear at P before opening door.

I used to find this very very irritating, but ever read a Union Red cabbie died bec his head sandwiched by his taxi door n wall due to extending his body out to insert cashcard..?i realise it's a good feature bec that's the bad habit I use to always do.. car at N, engine running and sometimes parking brake not pulled, and open door

Edited by Chucky2007

Twincharged

What you wrote makes a lot of sense and likely to the main reason for the accidents.

For my car.. when engine is running and gear at N, if door is opened... continuous beeep... none stop. Even close door still beep, unless close door shift to P. They make it such a way that forces driver to develops habit of putting gear at P before opening door.

I used to find this very very irritating, but ever read a Union Red cabbie died bec his head sandwiched by his taxi door n wall due to extending his body out to insert cashcard..?i realise it's a good feature bec that's the bad habit I use to always do.. car at N, engine running and sometimes parking brake not pulled, and open door

Edited by Nzy

On highway with no cars in front? It's rains so often in Singapore that you get to practice. I also don't brake. But it's very different for runaway acceleration. You don't get to practice. It's always easy to say when you are not the one at the wheel when it happens.

If brain has been trained to react quickly, no problem what

↡ Advertisement