A Liter too Little?

Carbon82

(edited)

About 2 decades ago, the term bread and butter car model used to be refering to car with engine capacity of 1.0L or lesser, and mid size family sedan are the Corolla, Sunny, Mazda 323, Civic, Jetta and such. Sub 1.0L rides make up some 12 - 15% of our passenger car population, and proved to be popular for those looking at a simple point A to point B personal transport tool.

Some of the hot model include:

Suzuki Swift Sedan

800px-Suzuki_Swift_rear_20071011.jpg

Suzuki Wagon R

Suzuki-Wagon-R.jpg

Toyota Starlet

05.jpg

Nissan March

NISSANMicra5Doors-978_5.jpg

Subaru Justy

Subaru%20Justy%20(3).jpg

Subaru Vivio 

subaru-vivio-%5B9918%5D.jpg

Daihatsu Charade 

1993-1996_Daihatsu_Charade_%28G200RS%29_

Daihatsu Move

Daihatsu_Move_Sr-xx_1998.jpg

Mitsubishi Toppo Town Bee

800px-Mitsubishi_Minica_Toppo_Town_Bee.j

Mitsubishi Pajero Mini

800px-Mitsubishi_Pajero_Mini_005.JPG

Fiat Uno

1280px-Fiat_Uno_II_back.jpg

Seat Ibiza

1280px-Seat_Ibiza_rear_20071002.jpg

Sales of sub 1.0L rides start to fall by the end of 90s / early 2000, due to the ever rising COE premium (and no thanks to the merger of Cat 1 & 2 COE into Cat A in May 1999), as well as the better acceptance of Korean model (Accent, Getz, Atos, Rio, etc.). IIRC, the last 1.0L (non-turbo) model sold in Singapore is the Hyundai Atos, which at it lowest price point, can be had for <S$30K.

Atos_2713.jpg

T.B.C.

Edited by Carbon82
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

Two decades wontan Mee only $1.50... Sigh, Neverending one.. Over the times, appetite gets bigger as ppl yearn for better living standards.

• Praise 2

Turbo charge technology do exist in some of the sub 1.0L ride, and the better know one includes:

Daihatsu Charade GTti

daihatsu-charade-gtti-6.jpg

Subaru Vivio Turbo

subaru-vivio-06.jpg

Mitsubishi Pajero Mini Turbo 20V

mitsubishi-pajero-mini-03.jpg

And the last turbo-charge Japanese model to be sold on our shore is the Mitsubishi i.

Mitsubishi_i.jpg

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Actually these cars are more than adequate for Singapore daily use. However, the COE makes a joke out of buying such cars. Now you see people driving monsters to make their money worth.

Maybe when we go for the satellite ERP system, such cars will be back on the road.

• Praise 1

Actually these cars are more than adequate for Singapore daily use. However, the COE makes a joke out of buying such cars. Now you see people driving monsters to make their money worth.

Maybe when we go for the satellite ERP system, such cars will be back on the road.

everybody wants to be the guy with the biggest dick

E6QF5.jpg

who wants to be the loser?

the_true_story_of_ah_q__a_masterpiece_of

[pirate]  [pirate]  [pirate]  [pirate]

Ford%E2%80%99s_striking_Fiesta_Zetec_S_R

About 2 decades ago, the term bread and butter car model used to be refering to car with engine capacity of 1.0L or lesser, and mid size family sedan are the Corolla, Sunny, Mazda 323, Civic, Jetta and such. Sub 1.0L rides make up some 12 - 15% of our passenger car population, and proved to be popular for those looking at a simple point A to point B personal transport tool.

Some of the hot model include:

Suzuki Swift Sedan

800px-Suzuki_Swift_rear_20071011.jpg

Suzuki Wagon R

Suzuki-Wagon-R.jpg

Toyota Starlet

05.jpg

Nissan March

NISSANMicra5Doors-978_5.jpg

Subaru Justy

Subaru%20Justy%20(3).jpg

Subaru Vivio 

subaru-vivio-%5B9918%5D.jpg

Daihatsu Charade 

1993-1996_Daihatsu_Charade_%28G200RS%29_

Daihatsu Move

Daihatsu_Move_Sr-xx_1998.jpg

Mitsubishi Toppo Town Bee

800px-Mitsubishi_Minica_Toppo_Town_Bee.j

Mitsubishi Pajero Mini

800px-Mitsubishi_Pajero_Mini_005.JPG

Fiat Uno

1280px-Fiat_Uno_II_back.jpg

Seat Ibiza

1280px-Seat_Ibiza_rear_20071002.jpg

Sales of sub 1.0L rides start to fall by the end of 90s / early 2000, due to the ever rising COE premium (and no thanks to the merger of Cat 1 & 2 COE into Cat A in May 1999), as well as the better acceptance of Korean model (Accent, Getz, Atos, Rio, etc.). IIRC, the last 1.0L (non-turbo) model sold in Singapore is the Hyundai Atos, which at it lowest price point, can be had for <S$30K.

Atos_2713.jpg

T.B.C.

• Praise 1

Not many know that beside the Suzuki Swift Sedan, there are also a few others 1.0L sedan available in the other part of the world around that era, such as

Toyota Belta (aka Vios in ASEAN market)

42149.jpg

Nissan Sunny

3606703911421930412.jpg

Daihatsu Applause

1991-1993_Daihatsu_Charade_%28G102%29_SG

But honestly, with even a 1.0L Daihatsu having to struggle it way up our Benjamin Sheares Bridge with just 4 pax on board, I can't really imagine how the Applause is going to make it way up there at a reasonable speed.

• Praise 5

I beg to differ. These car existed when times of COE prices were in the excess of 60K too. There were still buyers coz car makers put them in the market.

Anyway even if it was cheap and affordable back then I will stay away becoz the safety standards of such cars are appalling. I do not want to squashed like a pancake in one of those.

Such cars no longer exist becoz of more stringent safety and exhaust emissions tests. More steel reinforcement, auto gearbox with more gears and more weight, more luxury and gadgets to compete. More weight will affect fuel economy and exhaust emissions. You can see why car makers aren't making them anymore.

• Praise 4

got those turbo diesel 1L type?

Not many know that beside the Suzuki Swift Sedan, there are also a few others 1.0L sedan available in the other part of the world around that era, such as

Toyota Belta (aka Vios in ASEAN market)

42149.jpg

Nissan Sunny

3606703911421930412.jpg

Daihatsu Applause

1991-1993_Daihatsu_Charade_%28G102%29_SG

But honestly, with even a 1.0L Daihatsu having to struggle it way up our Benjamin Sheares Bridge with just 4 pax on board, I can't really imagine how the Applause is going to make it way up there at a reasonable speed.

I remember the Starlet, my dad's first car.

The rear hatch leaked whenever it rained, and our seats would be wet. My brother and me will have towels ready to mop up the water and have to seat in awkward positions to not get drenched ourselves.

Good times..

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

No point buying a smaller car when bigger engines now still have excellent fuel economy. Only bigger expense is road tax but that's not much over 1 year. Want to save money and drive car? Don't be a badge whore!

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Now cars getting so heavy leh. Eg, the current civic, size is almost the same as the accord a few generations ago. All the cars upsizing. Engine need to upsize also.

Supersonic

Those 1.0L cars that TS mentioned was so popular back then. Those were the days. Lol.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Altis must buy 2L.

No leh. In Singapore, people buy the biggest car they can get with the smallest engine. Lol.

↡ Advertisement