• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
59 replies to this topic | 516 praises

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:55 PM

Piyopico
  • Piyopico
    Supercharged
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Got a herb garden at my yard. Just morning sun but managed to get my basil and mint growing.

My Rosemary died. Supposed to be resilent but cannot get it to grow.

Plus my mint getting lots of white aphids. Cannot seem to get rid of them. Tried crushing them daily, spray with citrus oil plus even introduced a spider to do the job. Nothing seems to work.

I wanna eat my herbs, so dun wanna use stuff that will get me killed.

Tips anyone ?

☘🌱🌿

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Got a herb garden at my yard. Just morning sun but managed to get my basil and mint growing.

Plus my mint getting lots of white aphids. Cannot seem to get rid of them. Tried crushing them daily, spray with citrus oil plus even introduced a spider to do the job. Nothing seems to work.

Tips anyone ?

☘🌱🌿

rosemary don't like water

too much water they die

very normal

as for those white shit,

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=neem oil

orion2006 praised this

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:07 PM

Macrosszero
  • Macrosszero
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

There's this Facebook group Edible Garden City which should be a good resource to help you get started. 

The gene pool could use a bit of Clorox at times

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:27 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I have 2 ladies fingers and 2 capsicum plants in pots and planters.......just trying to have a green finger while living in a high density building! Hope they grow and bare their produce!

orion2006 and Blueray praised this
Together We stand Alone

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

Yoongf
  • Premium member
    Yoongf
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Fb group... Urban farmers (singapore)

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

Tigershark1976
  • Premium member
    Tigershark1976
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Tips anyone ?

☘🌱🌿

Never heard of using spider to control aphids. The only insect I know that eat aphids is ladybird but I think its difficult to find ladybirds in Singapore nowadays.

Aphids are very difficult to get rid of, unless pesticide is use. Nicotine was widely use in pesticides few decades ago but its very dangerous to human and is banned in many coutries.If you are smoker, keep your ciggarette butts and soak it in water. The nicotine in the cigarette butts will disolved in the water. Use the solutions to spray underneath of the leafs.

I tried it in my papaya plant that I planted at my balcony to kill the aphids and it works.

Anyway, I was a bit surprise to hear that aphid attacks your mint as mints leaf it self could be grinded and use a form of natural pesticide. you want to post some photo of the mint you planted?

Edited by Tigershark1976, 19 May 2016 - 11:46 PM.

Angcheek, Sunny, Mercs, FourZero and 2BDriver praised this

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:56 PM

Tigershark1976
  • Premium member
    Tigershark1976
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I have 2 ladies fingers and 2 capsicum plants in pots and planters.......just trying to have a green finger while living in a high density building! Hope they grow and bare their produce!

Lady finger is a good plant for newbie,  cause its 1 of the easiest plant to grow. Lady fingers needs a lot of sunlight and grow very rapidly. If planted on the ground, a healthy lady finger plant have around 7 to 12 leafs and the largest leafs could grow as big as 12 to 14 inches in diameter. But its very unlikely you could achieve that if you grow your lady finger in a pot.

Mercs, Byteslurve, Spring, Nicfoo, Angcheek, Eviilusion, Sunny and 6 other members praised this

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I used to keep plants, leafy and flowering, until I got tired of taking care of it and they start to die.

If you ornamental type, it's usually clean and ok.

If you keep edible types, here comes the aphids, the caterpillars and what not. Nasty creatures.

Even when I stayed on the 8th floor, they can magically appears out of nowhere.

Edited by Kb27, 20 May 2016 - 12:25 AM.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:27 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I grow lime, mint, rosemary and jasmine

jasmine is this one:

Jasmine-vine.jpg

very nice smell

RH1667, Kb27, FourZero, Sunny and Blueray praised this

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hdb-grapes-alex-ng.jpghdb-rock-melon.jpgwatermelon-hdb-cropped.jpg

grapes. watermelon. rock melon in HDB

f**king amazing! lol

http://mothership.sg...-hdb-dwellings/

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, itll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

neem oil buy from Little India, much cheaper and in concentrated form compared to those amazon or even supermarket kind.

can dilute yourself and put in spray bottle.

but must warn the smell is jin strong.... reminds you of Little India all day long if it gets into your house....

:grin:

rosemary don't like water

too much water they die

very normal

as for those white shit,

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=neem oil

Mustank praised this

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

neem oil buy from Little India, much cheaper and in concentrated form compared to those amazon or even supermarket kind.

can dilute yourself and put in spray bottle.

but must warn the smell is jin strong.... reminds you of Little India all day long if it gets into your house....

:grin:

thanks for the tip man!!!! [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Town council never orh gong huh? Especially the watermelons.... drop on the head no joke leh.

anyway watermelons I always thought they are grown on the ground one?

hdb-grapes-alex-ng.jpghdb-rock-melon.jpgwatermelon-hdb-cropped.jpg

grapes. watermelon. rock melon in HDB

f**king amazing! lol

http://mothership.sg...-hdb-dwellings/

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

Galantspeedz
  • Premium member
    Galantspeedz
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

my house use to have 3 x mango tree.... sadly when we sold the place, the developer cleared them away......... always had fresh mangos 

Mustank, Datsun366 and 1 Anonymous member praised this
MCF PS3 Gang
MCF Hamsup Tiko Ranger

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Little_prince
  • Premium member
    Little_prince
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

hahaha

i also wondering the same thing.

dunno lah.

still quite amazing to see these fruits growing in hdb!

Town council never orh gong huh? Especially the watermelons.... drop on the head no joke leh.

anyway watermelons I always thought they are grown on the ground one?

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, itll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

HungryPaPa - https://instagram.com/hungrypapa/

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

Piyopico
  • Piyopico
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Never heard of using spider to control aphids. The only insect I know that eat aphids is ladybird but I think its difficult to find ladybirds in Singapore nowadays.

Aphids are very difficult to get rid of, unless pesticide is use. Nicotine was widely use in pesticides few decades ago but its very dangerous to human and is banned in many coutries.If you are smoker, keep your ciggarette butts and soak it in water. The nicotine in the cigarette butts will disolved in the water. Use the solutions to spray underneath of the leafs.

I tried it in my papaya plant that I planted at my balcony to kill the aphids and it works.

Anyway, I was a bit surprise to hear that aphid attacks your mint as mints leaf it self could be grinded and use a form of natural pesticide. you want to post some photo of the mint you planted?

These are the nasty white aphids that fly.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Piyopico
  • Piyopico
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I grow lime, mint, rosemary and jasmine

jasmine is this one:
Jasmine-vine.jpg

very nice smell

Wow nice!

Do you use the flowers or leaves as condiments or tea?

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wow nice!

Do you use the flowers or leaves as condiments or tea?

no, just smell nice that's all

I got make lime juice from my lime plants, mix with honey, when I wasn't feeling too well last time

I als got grow pandan

but I am not using it

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I also have mosquito plant

nice smell

but can be badly affected by those white shit

citronella-mosquito-plant-1.jpg

Blueray praised this

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Eviilusion
  • Premium member
    Eviilusion
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

My ornamental plants....tillandsia and cactus20160520_175029.jpg
My other ladies finger plants20160520_175323.jpg
Making a shelf for a plant and drawer at the balcony corner and my ornamental strawberry plant in the small pot.20160520_175059.jpg
Still2016, FourZero, Datsun366 and Blueray praised this
Together We stand Alone

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: green, plant, bug, fingers and 1 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users