DBS moves local 1500 IT jobs to India

sg have to start having a "sg first" mentality.

Choose local brands, support local foods, choose petrol brand that contributes most to sg economy.

And realistically, sg cant be limited to singapore only but hv to include "sg + johor" to get the critical mass. If johor prospers.. Will make this region much more relaxing

Certain commodities hard to source for local breed. Go GL find me a chicken rice stall selling local breed chicken?

Is not wrong to outsource certain aspects of the company locally due to the evolving globalisation. To shift operation oversea due to rising costs is a big big No No. HK CAN BE OUR mirror. Post 97 many manufacturers shifted their production northward. Now HK mfg is in a slump.

↡ Advertisement

You are also support jap or Korean or German wud... Look at the cars u buy...

hello..where got SG petrol brand.. All come from Middle East wud.. Food brand where got? Tiger now speak Thai.. Chicken rice? Wanton Mee?

Even our grandparents were imported and voila we are here...

For petrol, shell n esso mobil hv refineries in sg. Question is.. Which of these 2 brands value add the most to sg economy? Which hire most sg/pr? Which donate the most? It will be an interesting statistic to monitor.

I agree sg alone not much manu/agri sector. Thats why i do include johor together with sg. I dont see why sg hv to import veggie from china australia when johor can supply them.

Turbocharged
(edited)

For petrol, shell n esso mobil hv refineries in sg. Question is.. Which of these 2 brands value add the most to sg economy? Which hire most sg/pr? Which donate the most? It will be an interesting statistic to monitor.

I agree sg alone not much manu/agri sector. Thats why i do include johor together with sg. I dont see why sg hv to import veggie from china australia when johor can supply them.

Don't think johoreans share the same sentiments as us..they probably interested in us paying a big premium for their produce.. Edited by BenTong

Certain commodities hard to source for local breed. Go GL find me a chicken rice stall selling local breed chicken?

Is not wrong to outsource certain aspects of the company locally due to the evolving globalisation. To shift operation oversea due to rising costs is a big big No No. HK CAN BE OUR mirror. Post 97 many manufacturers shifted their production northward. Now HK mfg is in a slump.

DBS derives abt 38% of its revenue from overseas. It would not be logical to compete in low cost countries using high cost employees. Initially, no choice hv to bite the bullet, but slowly the cost centres hv to mirror the competitors cost structure in that foreign market.

The day when politicians hinted that our old folks are best cared for in JB, we should have taken the hint and prepare ourselves.

1. Policies seems to keep only the "best" in Singapore (regards which Nationality you are or be it you are purple, red, yellow or green). The rest, give token support. The work that do not need brain power but only manual power, these come from cheap labour which as yet cannot be replaced by machine.

2. By signing trade agreement, there is no choice with having the short end of the stick for some workers here, so that businesses can get a foothold in India. Authorities are looking at the bigger picture and with that there are collateral damages which it is deem unavoidable but expendable.

3. Majority have spoken to want more of the same and giving thumbs up to the authorities at free hand at crafting policies. Why do we complain so much after all, it is democracy and the minorities have to accept the majority wishes.

Bottom line is there will be collateral damages (hopefully it is not you or me) as we plot a relentless route to be 1st in what I don't really know.

I think it is pretty late to change and within my lifetime I don't think there will be transformation (realisation) for a wholesome society where we walk the talk when we say our pledge and practice our Confucius way of life. We need another generation to undo what our younger generation had been conditioned (I hope I am wrong but the youngest generation - are too self centred (spoilt) and fragile (cannot take hardship life throws at them).  

With regards to the younger generation, just take a look at our latest generation of NS boys, maid carrying their havesack for them, etc. In our time, it would be too malu (shameful) if our father's help us carrying for us.

It looks like we (locals) will be eaten alive but if you look around the world, it is a constant feature. Look at UK and Europe, the locals are soon over run by foreigners or recent new citizens. We can avoid this but we don't because our believe is that unless we get the best people (regardless of where they come from) we are finished, the collateral damages they can live with it.

Good luck to all of us.

• Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

You can also see that demonstrated with whom they choose to bank with. I hear the folks at our local banks' branches (fyi: all 3 have offices there) in Ho Chi Minh kpkb that cash rich Japanese firms won't even budge from BTMU even when they are offered double the interest rate for their cash deposits.

May have to consider that those Japs have ongoing business relationships with BTMU and the likes back home and securing financing is a dance and courtship process in itself. Hard to go back once you break the trust and relationship and they may have to for unforseen circumstances. Singapore financing instituions, on the other hand, behave like whores whoring themselves to maximize profits. Not that that is wrong. Just different philosophies  :a-fun:

Edited by Porker
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

May have to consider that those Japs have ongoing business relationships with BTMU and the likes back home and securing financing is a dance and courtship process in itself. Hard to go back once you break the trust and relationship and they may have to for unforseen circumstances. Singapore financing instituions, on the other hand, behave like whores whoring themselves to maximize profits. Not that that is wrong. Just different philosophies  :a-fun:

Isn't this something like why hundreds of thousands of people still take CPF housing loans when bank loans charging lower interest?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Isn't this something like why hundreds of thousands of people still take CPF housing loans when bank loans charging lower interest?

Does CPF give housing loans? I'm not aware of that but if you refer to using CPF for housing payment then of course lah! I will use everything if I can. Why the hell do I want to leave it in there for them to makan when I cannot realistically draw it out?  :a-fun:

• Praise 3

Supersonic

Does CPF give housing loans? I'm not aware of that but if you refer to using CPF for housing payment then of course lah! I will use everything if I can. Why the hell do I want to leave it in there for them to makan when I cannot realistically draw it out?  :a-fun:

Haha. Sorry, my mistake. It is HDB loans that I am referring to. Got confused with CPF because the interest rates are linked to CPF interest rates.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

You are also support jap or Korean or German wud... Look at the cars u buy...

If SG has a car brand that pays most of its taxes here then can compare mah.

And how many of these 1.5k jobs are being done by locals now anyway?

brother..brother ...first i want to tell you how much i treasure our friendship n how handsome you are

• Praise 4

Don't everything also complain lah

They are simply sending 1500 back home

Isn't that good news?

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

This is really bad news.

This means we lost 300 jobs for locals here.

If someone corrects me and say its 1500.

Please really again I wrote 300 local jobs.

:)

• Praise 5

Twincharged

This is really bad news.

This means we lost 300 jobs for locals here.

If someone corrects me and say its 1500.

Please really again I wrote 300 local jobs.

:)

I suppose those 300 jobs are those that can be done cheaper better safer faster....

Knowing that the quality is a killer will eventually do great harm in the background. Once discovered. It will be a situation of let's not talk about the problems only solution. Amazed that we continue to accept globalization but not take the same approach to be global or displaced jobs from other countries. If we had continue to take the approach back 30 years ago and spread our wings to gain invaluable experience elsewhere and returned back home to make this place from good to great. It would have being a better tomorrow. But alas we were label quitters N whatnot so that damage control for brain drain N resources would be kept at a minimum.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Are they sure they have enough electricity to ensure the server runs 24 7?..

Got lah these places have a offsite generator facility, the office I was at had one the size of a small bungalow.
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Haha l like your optimism but quite sure u kanna brain washed liao...ð

Thank you

@sabian the glass is half full or half empty?

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)

The day when politicians hinted that our old folks are best cared for in JB, we should have taken the hint and prepare ourselves.

1. Policies seems to keep only the "best" in Singapore (regards which Nationality you are or be it you are purple, red, yellow or green). The rest, give token support. The work that do not need brain power but only manual power, these come from cheap labour which as yet cannot be replaced by machine.

2. By signing trade agreement, there is no choice with having the short end of the stick for some workers here, so that businesses can get a foothold in India. Authorities are looking at the bigger picture and with that there are collateral damages which it is deem unavoidable but expendable.

3. Majority have spoken to want more of the same and giving thumbs up to the authorities at free hand at crafting policies. Why do we complain so much after all, it is democracy and the minorities have to accept the majority wishes.

Bottom line is there will be collateral damages (hopefully it is not you or me) as we plot a relentless route to be 1st in what I don't really know.

I think it is pretty late to change and within my lifetime I don't think there will be transformation (realisation) for a wholesome society where we walk the talk when we say our pledge and practice our Confucius way of life. We need another generation to undo what our younger generation had been conditioned (I hope I am wrong but the youngest generation - are too self centred (spoilt) and fragile (cannot take hardship life throws at them).

With regards to the younger generation, just take a look at our latest generation of NS boys, maid carrying their havesack for them, etc. In our time, it would be too malu (shameful) if our father's help us carrying for us.

It looks like we (locals) will be eaten alive but if you look around the world, it is a constant feature. Look at UK and Europe, the locals are soon over run by foreigners or recent new citizens. We can avoid this but we don't because our believe is that unless we get the best people (regardless of where they come from) we are finished, the collateral damages they can live with it.

Good luck to all of us.

dont think we can call ourselves "locals"... Our parents or our grandparents probably came and displaced the locals then and became the majority..no?

As to the boy who got The Maid to carry his bag, who taught him so? Probably his parents who I think is our generation. Our parents taught us well but have we taught our kids well?

Or maybe it's the grandparents of the boy who did not teach the parents of the boy well?.

And wanting a Confucius way of life n values .. Are you not then imposing that to minority?

Edited by BenTong
↡ Advertisement